Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am ready to do it. I am going to atempt this swap, but I need some more info from the pro's. What EXACTALLY all am I going to need to successfully do the swap? The 2 assets I have are an ASE Acura technition as a neighbor, and a crazy ass kid who rund 12's in his beat to hell CRX. Please Advise!!! Thanks..

·
Registered
811 Posts
are you gonna use the stock crv bottom end? piston,rods,crank? are you having it sleeved? more info. If ur using the stock bottom end, which i wouldnt reccoment, ur gonna need to keep the revs down. like below 7500 since the stock crv uses a 99mm strock. Much higher and sumthins gonna go cause with such a long stroke those pistons speeds are gonna be insanly high compared to a stock stroke rsx. I would reccomend a 90.7mm f22 crank or a 92mm machined prelude crank. Also you should like about sleeving the block for some added strngth and so you can get some more displacement. You you be fine with up to a 89mm bore with some sleeve. I would also consider using some higher comp. pistons if ur going all motor as the stock crv ones are pretty low. It`ll cost you some power if you dont get that comp ratio up. I would also consider some good rods as the stock ones arent too strong esp. for high rpm duty. You will also need some type of engine management system to tune for the extra displacement. All in all i wouldnt suggest just using the stock crv bottom end and bolting on a type s head. The comp is too low, the stoke is far too long to rev high and take advantage of the greater flow, and the components are to weak for high rpm duty. Othere than that i`m pretty sure the head should just bolt up.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
head swap is pretty much a bolton affair.

as for building the bottom end, I'd definitely reccomend getting TSX rods to cope with the higher rpm stresses. you'd be best off with a set of forged aftermarket rods, but I don't know if anyone makes them yet. Also, I would swap the pistons to get higher compression out of the beast, unless you're gonna boost. in which case the 9.8 is just about perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, So does this mean when all said and done that it will be a 2.4l? And what compression am I striving for here as far as horsepower is concerned? Should I get the wiring harness for the type s, and what computer should I run?! Too many questions...

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you keep the stock 99mm stroke CRV crank and the stock 87mm bore then yes you will end up with 2.4L(2354cc's) though. What I was saying is that i dont reccomend this because that is a really long stroke and you piston speeds are gonna be very high. I would reccommend that you use the CRV block and swap out the crankshaft,rods, and pistons. For the crankshaft i would suggest that you use a 90.7mm f22 crank that is found in the new 2.2L S2000. It should be a straight drop in affair and would give you about 2.2L with the stock bore(2156cc's). You could also use a modified prelude crank, from an h22 i believe, that would give you a 92mm stroke and 2.2L (2187cc's). I think i heard IB is going to sell some billet ones made for our block but i`m not sure. Both of these would significantly lower your max absolute piston speeds allowing you to rev much higher safelly. With any combination you should upgrade to some forged rods. I`m not sure what the length should be but it`ll need to be matched to ur pistons if you go longer or mess with the stroke. If you insist on keeping the the 99mm stroke then just get some longer rods if you have em matched tothe pistons or stock length forged rods if wanna use the stock pistons or off the shelf aftermarket ones. If you intend to rev high these are a must have. Also replace all bearings when you have your blocked ripped apart anyway. Pistons should also be replaced esp. if you wanna keep the stock stroke. If your staying allmotor and its a street car u`ll prolly wanna keep the comp between 11 and 12:1. IF not then get some 12.5 toda's or some custom ones or go to IB.You`ll also wanna use the new K-pro for an ems.

If your on a budget keep the stock crank, get aftermarket stock length rods(forged), and possible some 11.5:1 pistons, and replace the bearings and check the clearences while is apart. This would still limit you revability to about 7800-8200 with the forged internals. and 7600-7800 without the pistons. If you dont get the pistons then consider a toda head gasket to bump up the comp a little. Either way ur not gonna be able to rev high enough to really take advantage of the new head without risking damaging the motor. If you keep the stock short block you definitley wont be able to take advantage of the head as you wont be able to safely rev above about 7000.

I suggest that you contact IB and see if you can do some sort of exchange with the block you have for one of there short blocks. You can buy it outright for 5500 though. Its sleeve with ur choice of bore and comp. It has forged rods and pistons and a shorter stroke. Though you`ll end up with a little less diceplacement you`ll have much better revability and you would be better able to take advandtage of aftermarket cams. There block can safely spin to past 9500 if neccisary. With an 89mm(highest for street) bore and the crank they use u can end up with 2.3L(2257cc's) just .1L less then the stock crv block. You will also be able to take proper adavatage of the head and aftermarket cams and you can rev as high as you need to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts