Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Du ma
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, as the title says, my fogs aren't working and i spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to trace each wire and seeing what they do, but i still couldn't find the problem. I tested the bulbs and they were perfectly fine.

So there are 3 red wires that come through the firewall...

So i have this completely loose wire (one of the 3 reds) and i'm not sure where it's supposed to be connected and there's also the 2 random harnesses

and here's a picture of the switch (sorry it's a bit blurry)

at one point, i was playing around with the red wire, touching it here and there on certain pins, etc. and the fogs turn on for 1 second.... after that, i never saw it light up again. So i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help.. if you guys have any input, that would be greatly appreciated thanks!

p.s. if it helps, my my is a 6-spd base model

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I take it that the kit was on the car when you bought it?

The kit needs power and ground--that is all. Though I suppose you want a switch in the middle to interrupt the ground. The hot wire will always be hot (well, maybe only when the key is on, depending what circuit they used); it is the ground that the switch controls. Buy your self a tester and you can test for ground and current.

Those other wires may have nothing to do with your fog lights, so you would do well not to randomly spark things to see what happens.

Run new wires if you can't sort out the mess that is there. Looks like some (all?) of that (red firewall wires) may be for an aftermarket stereo/amp? HIDs take less (or about the same, depending on bulbs and ballasts) power than regular halogen bulbs, so its not like they need big wires.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Touching random sources may have blown something. In the first pic... is that a fuse holder inline with the single red wire near the firewall? -scott

·
Du ma
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it that the kit was on the car when you bought it?

The kit needs power and ground--that is all. Though I suppose you want a switch in the middle to interrupt the ground. The hot wire will always be hot (well, maybe only when the key is on, depending what circuit they used); it is the ground that the switch controls. Buy your self a tester and you can test for ground and current.

Run all new wires if you can't sort out the mess that is there.
Yes you are correct. I got this kit with the car a while back but never had time to check it out until now. I have more of an understanding about how this kit work now thanks to you. Make a lot of sense! It was such a headache that i was just thinking about ripping all the wires out and starting fresh lol

Touching random sources may have blown something. In the first pic... is that a fuse holder inline with the single red wire near the firewall? -scott
I'm not sure if that single wire has a fuse holder or not since the fuse holder is on the other side of the firewall.. That single red wire was actually electric taped to a yellow wire that leads to the switch. Not sure why I didn't check what was underneath, but i shall check in a bit again. thanks!

·
Si-> Type S-> R Type-> MR
3,100 Posts
Wouldnt the third wire be for the relay to turn it on when the fog lights are active?>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts