Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
WILDCARD!
2006 RSX Type-S
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I think I figured it out! It seems that the 05-06 top hats have a metal cup pressed on to the bottom that the metal bearing goes in to. When assembling the Progress coilovers, you pry this cup off and discard it and then use the 02-04 plastic bearings (OEM part # 51726-S5A-004 ) instead, which essentially turns the 05-06 top hats in to the 02-04 top hats.

So long story short...if you're doing Progress coilovers and want to replace the top hats, go with the cheaper 02-04 versions (OEM part #'s 51920-S6M-J02 and 51925-S6M-J02).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a lot of searching this morning and couldn't find an answer. My apologies if it's out there and I missed it.

I'm switching from Tein to Progress coilovers and I'm wanting to go with new OEM top hats. The part numbers for the 02-04 top hats are different than the 05-06. Anyone know what the difference is? The 02-04 top hats are half the price, so it'd be nice to go with those if I can, but will they bolt right up to an 06 Type-S?

And I know that I'll need the plastic strut bearing from the 02-04 struts to make it work with the Progress parts...

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Check these custom top hats a racer on www.k20a.org has on his Mac Strut fronts, they adjust caster, camber, and actually give more camber adjustment than a typical BC racing top hat. By changing the one side from a perfect circle they were able to get more camber at the top hat

notice how the strut is clocked in the new top hats... that is a 30 degree clock (not 30* of caster) on the top hat, which is what Chris said he found to be optimal... and what the "new" top hats will be set to. The new hats wont be adjustable like these, but will be significantly cheaper because they will have much less machine work.

you can see how the BC racing top hat left some some on the camber settingn ow they will slide over more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts