Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is guide on how to perform minor paint touch up and scratch removal. Depending on the size of the affected area, you may need anywhere from 1 to 3 days to do a complete job. I say this because you want to apply the touch-up paint right the first time! Here, I have a blemish on my front lip and will be using bottled touch-up paint and clearcoat to fix the blemish. The following are the steps I used to complete the process. The guide will be split into two parts. 1.) Applying the basepaint and clearcoat. 2.) Polishing the clearcoat.

'02-'05 Touch-up paint application

The parts I used are:

• Meguiar's Paint Cleaner
  • Tamiya High Finish flat paint brush .02, #87045
  • PaintScratch touch up, 1 oz bottle
  • PaintScratch clearcoat, 1 oz bottle
  • Terry cloths
  • 3M 600 & 1,000 grit sandpaper
  • Meguiar's Polish

Difficulty Level: [05/10] (Intermediate)

Time required: varies (1-3 days per spot)

I got my 1 oz. brush bottle of touch-up paint and clearcoat from PaintScratch (http://www.paintscratch.com). If you order from them, it will take them approximately 6 days to mix up your paint color prior to shipping it out to you. They also carry paint in different oz bottle, aerosol spray and 1 gallon buckets as well as other detailing accessories like sandpapers and rubbing compound.

I also ordered a high quality paint brush used for hobby model painting. If you buy the the brush bottle, you'll soon realize that the quality of the brush is just not up-to-par for a detailed job. So I picked up a high finish flat paint brush by renowned hobby supply manufacturer, Tamiya, Brush No. 2, #87045 from eBay.

Just to give you an idea of the area I am working on:

The blemish is located on the lower-left hand side of the front lip.

I. Applying the basecoat and clearcoat
Since my blemish had a little scruffle on the surface of the bumper, I had to sand it down a bit. Since the scruffle was minor, I used 600-grit sand paper to sand it down until it is streamlined with the rest of the bumper. If you will be doing some major sanding that will reveal plastic or metal surface, you will need to apply some primer prior to applying the basecoat. The primer adheres to the raw surface and the paint will adhere to the primer.

For plastic surface, you will need primer that adheres to plastic / rubber surface. The label will indicate so. Since I will be installing an OEM lip soon, I decided to skip the primer part. Afterall, the blemished area wasn't that scruffled to start with.

Besure to work under the shade and ensure the temperature outside is 50-degree or higher. Start by applying a light coating of basecoat with your handy brush. Completely cover the affected area and ensure that each time you brush, the paint is applied evenly across. This is what it looks like after the 1st layer of base coat:

As you can see, I applied more paint than required, explaining the uneven surface. Nothing a 1,000-grit sandpaper can't fixed :laughing:. You need to wait a minimum of 30 minutes for each layer to dry before applying the next layer. Three layers of basecoat will be sufficient for most people. After two hours, I sanded the paint down a little bit and applied the 2nd layer:

Another shot of the 2nd layer:

Once again, I applied more basecoat than needed so it was lightly sanded down with 1,000-grit sandpaper.

After the application of the 3rd coat the following day:

And a brief moment of wetsanding again:

I am ready to apply the clearcoat. Before you apply the clearcoat, you need to make absolutely sure the basecoat has dried/cured completely. Even if it's dry to the touch doesn't mean it has been 'cured' completely. After your final layer, you should wait at least 4 hours. You can wait 24 hours for the best result. If you do not wait for the basecoat to dry completely, the clearcoat will begin to eat it away when you begin to apply it.

I will be applying three layers of clearcoat over the basecoat and waiting 3 hours inbetween layers before applying the next layer. Here is a pic of me applying the first layer of clearcoat:

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The 1st layer of clearcoat awaiting to be dried:

The results after 1.5 days of work, so far:

I'll take a snapshot of the 3rd layer of clearcoat later tonight. After that, I will let the clearcoat dry for the next three day before I begin to polish it with Meguiar's Polishing agent.

Anyhow, this thread will be updated as soon as the other process are completed :thumbsup:

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After the 2nd clearcoat layer:

And finally, the 3rd and last clearcoat layer:

Before applying additional clearcoat layers, touch the texture the the applied area and make sure it's not "rubbery" to the touch. If it is, then that means the clearcoat layer has not dried sufficiently yet. Let it dry until it's hard to the touch and feels smooth when you run your fingernail across it.

I'm gonna polish the clearcoat two days from today and will post a pic of the final results :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
damn, that looks pretty clean. i got a DEEP scratch, approx 3 inches rear bumper area, its down to the metal. the thing with me is, the paint doesnt even look close, it's DARKER. so it's not a good match, id say it's not even 85% correct, it looks way off. anyways , nice write up.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
damn I need to try this lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Done a crap job with my touch up paint pen, does'nt look too good right now. Any suggestions?

Awesome write up btw.

·
Awww Yeah...
4,217 Posts
oh snap!!! you rock!! now I don't have to shell out 170 to get my whole bumper repainted for a small amout of damage

·
Registered
165 Posts
nice write up man, any opinion on if this would work well on paint chips on the front bumper and hood?

·
Registered
70 Posts
you get a rep point. :) I think I'll have to do the same to the long ass scratch on my front bumper(thanks to my dad..) and the clear coat scratch on my rear bumper(thanks to some asshole).

nik

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You should be able to touch up most minor scratches and scruffles. Major dents not included. At the moment, the paint blends in quite nicely with the rest of the bumper. There's one spot that is noticeable up close, but it will be taken care of once I polish and buff out the clearcoat. You definitely want to invest $3.00 on a high-quality hobby paint brush.

When you first apply the clearcoat, it will make the touchup paint look much darker than it is. Just let it dry sufficiently and it will blend with the body. You want to take your time when painting the scratch. However, you do not want to take your sweet ass time to do it because the paint dries quickly.

·
Trading HP for MPG
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update:

Here's what the clearcoat looks like after the 4th day:

Upon closer inspection, you can see an overdose of clearcoating. If you've applied too much clearcoat, you can wetsand it down a bit with 1,000 grit sandpaper. After that, clean the surface off. Wash it down and dry it up. Make sure the touched-up area is absolutely clean and that the clearcoat has dried/cured complete before proceeding :eek:! If it's not cured completely, you'll be rubbing off clearcoat with the polishing agent.

II. Polishing and finishing up

The next step is polishing the repaired area. Grab yourself a 100% cotton terry cloth and your favorite polisher / automotive rubbing compound.

I used Meguiar's Polish (step #2 of the Meguiar 3-step detailing set).

Apply a little bit of the polishing agent on your terry cloth:

And begin to rub generously around the touched-up area. You want to extend a centimeter or two over the unaffected paint area to buff the repaired area and blend it with the rest of the body.

Work on the area segment by segment. My scratch spread about 5-inches across. I worked on a 1.5 inch area at a time. Also when you rub the compound, rub it uniformly; that is rub it horizontally and keep it horizontal (or vertical, but don't rub in a circular motion!).

Apply more polish if necessary and turn your cloth over and continue rubbing with unused area of the cloth. After you are done, wipe it down clean with unused portion of the terry cloth, or use another terry cloth altogether:

And the final result:

BEFORE

AFTER (4 days after)

What chu guys think? Not too shabby ya?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can also scratch off some clearcoat with your fingernail if you screwed up and used a touch up pen on small chips(like I did). Gotta go buy a bottle of the paint/clearcoat and a good brush tommorow so I dont repeat my screwup.

Your job looks great, Skhou.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts