Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Was wondering if you guys can help out. Recently I had a broken transmission mount and I drove for a week until I the new part came. I left the car for few weeks then started it up today.

The problem is that I can't shift the gears. I can hear it clicks and moves a bit when I step as the brake. If I force the lever VERY very hard, I can shift it down to reverse, possible neutral.Otherwise, its impossible to shift up or down. I even push the key into the slot and the level is still SUPER hard to move. I looked in the crevices and nothing is stuck. Was wondering what's going on? Car is parked in my back yard, so I'm screw if I can't move it out or have any transmission shop to look at.

I read on this forum auto rsx doesn't use mechanical linkage. So don't know what to do. Thanks.:confused:

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,231 Posts
Hey all,

Was wondering if you guys can help out. Recently I had a broken transmission mount and I drove for a week until I the new part came. I left the car for few weeks then started it up today.

The problem is that I can't shift the gears. I can hear it clicks and moves a bit when I step as the brake. If I force the lever VERY very hard, I can shift it down to reverse, possible neutral.Otherwise, its impossible to shift up or down. I even push the key into the slot and the level is still SUPER hard to move. I looked in the crevices and nothing is stuck. Was wondering what's going on? Car is parked in my back yard, so I'm screw if I can't move it out or have any transmission shop to look at.

I read on this forum auto rsx doesn't use mechanical linkage. So don't know what to do. Thanks.:confused:
your research is faulty. the shifter is connected to the transmission by a cable. while the cable doesn't actually move the clutches, it does move the components and switches that tell the PCM to activate various control solenoids to change gears. your cable is probably rusted from sitting in your backyard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your research is faulty. the shifter is connected to the transmission by a cable. while the cable doesn't actually move the clutches, it does move the components and switches that tell the PCM to activate various control solenoids to change gears. your cable is probably rusted from sitting in your backyard.
I hope this is the case. My transmission gears shifted smoothly when I was able to move the lever. Also, there is no engine code that is showing up, so this must mean transmission is okay??

Is this cable a black cable, possible around 3/8? I did see one from looking above the engine, but its really hard to get it. Will jack it up end of this week to verify. Do you guys think its mechanical at this point? I am screwed if I can't move this car of of my backyard, since a tow truck can't get in the narrow passageway.

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
There's an illustration on pg 14-152 of the Helm that shows how the shift cable connects to the transmission housing. Maybe you could get under the car and have a look at the control lever, etc. to see if something's bent. If you disconnect the cable from the shifter you could isolate whether the cable or the transmission range switch is giving the grief.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's an illustration on pg 14-152 of the Helm that shows how the shift cable connects to the transmission housing. Maybe you could get under the car and have a look at the control lever, etc. to see if something's bent. If you disconnect the cable from the shifter you could isolate whether the cable or the transmission range switch is giving the grief.
Jay - any chance you could scan that ? I plan to get under the car this week defintely and disconnect the cable as you said. Hopefully its related to the cable.

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a scanner. There are .pdf copies floating around. The Helm is definitely worth buying if you plan on owning the car for long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts