Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Honda Tech
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my car in today for inspection and oil change. the last three oil changes i have done i've used Eneos 5w30 but i couldn't get a case of it today so one of the shop guys put in oil from the pump at honda....heres the deal i think he used 5w20 or 0w20 not sure which but when i got home the motor had a different sound to it but it drove perfect. the noise i'm hearing at idle sounds like a low pitched chain moving reallly quiet.

do i get a case of eneos 5 w30 and change out the oil asap ? or am i good to go, i use the car for highway driving 500 miles or so every couple weekends

·
Dreamchaser
939 Posts
Wait a little bit for the new oil to break in.
I'd say wait 500~1000 miles and check to see if any problems occur.

The difference in the oil weight is very minimal so I believe you'll be safe.
I swapped from 5w30, 5w40, 0w20, and 5w20 (in no particular order) on my base and I've been great

·
Casual Scum
2,108 Posts
Base RSX calls for 5w-20. I've used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20 for 6 years and the car is tip-top.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
took my car in today for inspection and oil change. the last three oil changes i have done i've used Eneos 5w30 but i couldn't get a case of it today so one of the shop guys put in oil from the pump at honda....heres the deal i think he used 5w20 or 0w20 not sure which but when i got home the motor had a different sound to it but it drove perfect. the noise i'm hearing at idle sounds like a low pitched chain moving reallly quiet.

do i get a case of eneos 5 w30 and change out the oil asap ? or am i good to go, i use the car for highway driving 500 miles or so every couple weekends
I would just leave it and change back to5W-30 at the next scheduled interval.

Oil analysis is your friend if you want to see the true performance of that Eneos oil.

·
Honda Tech
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your replies guys... i did 300 miles yesterday driving and it was pretty normal . i did some research and now i'm confused because i have always used 5w30 thinking it was factory spec but now i'm seeing that the factory spec is 5w20, these motors are great and im just not looking to screw it up especially because i have 205K on the odometer !

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
You're not going to screw up a Base model just because you have 30 wt oil in there.

There are dozens of oil analysis threads of RSXers using 30 wt oil in Bases. The oil is fine..

·
Casual Scum
2,108 Posts
Using a thicker weight of oil than what's recommended will reduce fuel economy and horsepower. Fact.

·
Honda Tech
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the question now is can i return to 30 at the next change and be okay? or should i do it sooner than later?

·
Casual Scum
2,108 Posts
There's no reason to change to 30w. Your engine was designed for 20w. But if for whatever reason you wanted to, yes you can do it at any time.

·
0 Posts
30W oil is fine. Honda suggests 20W for fuel economy reasons but I've been using 30W or 40W for years and it works just fine.

·
Awww Yeah...
4,218 Posts
My base used to burn through 5w-20 like candy...I switched it to 5w-30 (same brand) and consumption went down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts