Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, new to this site, I just picked up an Arctic Blue 2002 Type-S for my girlfriend today. just a tad under 100k miles. I drove it 300 miles home and the entire time, it just seemed like it ran kind of harsh. it seemed to have somewhat of a low/dull whine to it when the engine was at any speed other than idle. I still beat the hell out of the car, took it up to redline a couple times, just to make sure it wasn't going to explode during the test drive. VTEC engaged just fine and it accelerated as it should and everything. but even with the cruise set I could still hear this whining noise. I also hear it if I rev it with the car in neutral, so I'm hoping that's good enough to rule out a transmission problem.

I was reading some of the service records that came with the car and saw that about 7k miles ago, it was diagnosed with a misfire in cylinders 3 and 4, and the VTEC solenoid was bad. they replaced the solenoid as well as both coils and all four spark plugs, and then cleared the code. they also replaced an o2 sensor and the "intermediate pipe". I haven't gotten a chance to get the car in the air to see what the exhaust looks like but it sounds cracked/louder than stock. it's not showing a CEL right now (just the SRS light, go figure) but it just seems to me like there's something funny going on. I drive a 2011 Civic Si and have never heard my car make any noise similar to this before. can someone help an RSX noob out?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have an 02 type-s with just over 100k miles and I also have a audible whine at lower to mid rpms and while revving in neutral, kinda sounds like an electric rc car. I just figured thats how the engine sounds lol.

·
vtec just kicked in yo
245 Posts
I have an 02 type-s with just over 100k miles and I also have a audible whine at lower to mid rpms and while revving in neutral, kinda sounds like an electric rc car. I just figured thats how the engine sounds lol.
:iamwiths:

·
Registered
202 Posts
that could be a variety of stuff, from alternator going bad to the throw out bearing to wheel bearings, basically sounds like a bearing somewhere is running dry and over heating causing the whine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
does sound change with rpm? Make sure you have power steering fluid. You might try taking off the belt to localize it to something on the outside on the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanks you guys for the serious answers so far.

things got more interesting today.. we were going to leave and she got in and put the clutch in to start the car, and the pedal just stayed on the floor. I got in the drivers seat and had to force it out of first gear, then I was able to start it. I checked the fluid in the master and slave cylinders and the slave (I think, the smaller one) had fluid in it, then I got back in and tried physically pulling the pedal up and it came up, then I put it in again and let go, and it sprang up like nothing had ever happened. then I got out again, checked the fluids and the slave or whatever was empty. I filled it back up and the car has driven another 60 miles or so like nothing ever happened. I didn't see anything on the ground under the car either.

anyway I don't think this is related to the noise, but I don't want to start several threads asking stupid questions. what could have caused this?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
x2:laughing:

·
Registered
206 Posts
well thanks you guys for the serious answers so far.

things got more interesting today.. we were going to leave and she got in and put the clutch in to start the car, and the pedal just stayed on the floor. I got in the drivers seat and had to force it out of first gear, then I was able to start it. I checked the fluid in the master and slave cylinders and the slave (I think, the smaller one) had fluid in it, then I got back in and tried physically pulling the pedal up and it came up, then I put it in again and let go, and it sprang up like nothing had ever happened. then I got out again, checked the fluids and the slave or whatever was empty. I filled it back up and the car has driven another 60 miles or so like nothing ever happened. I didn't see anything on the ground under the car either.

anyway I don't think this is related to the noise, but I don't want to start several threads asking stupid questions. what could have caused this?
you'll need to bleed the clutch line just like brakes. search and you will find a diy here.

Don't get discouraged the k20 engine is fairly durable. Unless the car was boosted it is doubtful you have any internal problems. Not to say the car probablly needs some work. But, you have come to the right place everything you'll every need to know repair your rsx can be found here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm hoping that on thursday I can find some time to get the car up in the air, change the oil and check fluids and shit and really give it a thorough inspection. it was crappy and raining when I bought the car and I didn't get to look at it as well as I would have liked to. I'll definitely look into bleeding the clutch line.

one more thing - the shifter has quite a bit of wiggle even when in gear. I had a friend tell me the linkage on this car is usually a problem area. can it be tightened/adjusted or will I need to replace it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE
I thought it sounded dope as well, haha. Higher rpms I never heard it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts