Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says grinding on start up but only happens when the car is cold. Anyone know what's causing this car starts up just fine

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You could try and take it apart and clean it. The solenoid is getting stuck for a few seconds in the extended position. I think someone here ran there's for years doing that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'll have to take a look and see exactly where it's coming from. But thank you for such a fast response

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like when I hold the key too long. Mine has done this for years, it's common. Worst case is that you chew up the teeth on the flywheel or starter. As Marko pointed out, it does seem like the solenoid is stuck for a split second after you release the key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine's been doing this for a few years.. I cleaned the starter and checked the teeth on flywheel/starter when I was doing a clutch a year and a half ago.. didnt see anything at all wrong, so I put it all back together.. still doing it to this day but starts up every time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just like the title says grinding on start up but only happens when the car is cold. Anyone know what's causing this car starts up just fine
I have an '04 that I bought new. It started grinding when I moved to a colder climate. Had about 30,000 miles at the time. It's been grinding on cold start-ups ever since. I just live with it. It needs to be below about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have a grinder that I'm going to take apart, clean and see if it gets better. Normally they get gummed up from clutch dust and the lube.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Long shot. But the ignition switch could be wearing out as was claimed by Thewrai6th. The switch might not be kickin' back like me and a drink? on you marco16. I must lay ow on here now....

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had this and still kept the starter in for many years. It's not a huge issue and it's common among other Hondas too. Seen it on an old coworkers K24 Accord also and yes it happens more from a cold start or your oil level is low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had same starter noise for years on my 05 RSX and assumed that I needed a new starter. Coincidentally, I replaced my battery from a Costco lead acid to a Bosch AGM and the problem disappeared. I assume the extra voltage from the AGM battery made a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had same starter noise for years on my 05 RSX and assumed that I needed a new starter. Coincidentally, I replaced my battery from a Costco lead acid to a Bosch AGM and the problem disappeared. I assume the extra voltage from the AGM battery made a difference.
Just wanted to add that the replaced Costco lead acid battery was 4.5 years old and still fully functioning at time of replacement. With the new Bosch Platinum AGM battery the starter solenoid has not hung as it did previously and so no more grinding noise on start up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts