Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
i kno this is gonna start a big war...but I think they are both good cars, but with about 1000-1500 bucks (give or take) the GST will be QUICK!

·
28,748 Posts
Better in terms of what?

Reliability, as a daily driver, fuel economy, racing (if racing this belongs in RSX Vs. All), quality, response to mods, etc...

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
ok here we go...
1. Reliability a 4-5 out of 10- kind of shitty, and if they break, good luck getting it fixed.
Also, it's used, start off with a new RSX-S
The RSX-S is about an 8 or 9 with its reliability
2. Daily driver- Unless you are going to incorporate mods into the RSX-S get the GS-T because a chip for the turbo will boost that thing higher than the RSX-S for the money, but there goes your reliability for the Mitsubishi. But it will accel faster than the RSX-S with less torque
3. Fuel economy- GS-T 20-25, RSX-S 23-31(less torque)
4. Racing- The GS-T is front wheel drive, so you will be spinning out of all gears... Not really good for racing if you chip the turbo because of the wheel spinning. With a supercharger or turbo on the RSX-S it will handle the mods better and won't break the first time you slam it into second.
5. Quality... Acura says it all... Mistubishi has something left to be desired with quality.
6. Response to mods- As I said already, a turbo will always respond better to mods than an N/A motor due to the fact that a chip will boost the psi to the point where there will be tons of wheel spin. If you get the RSX-S you can get a JRSC that will give you 40-50 whp and about 20 wtorque, or a turbo that with a programmable ecu will put you well about the 60-70 whp and 30+torque gain.

Overall, I hate mitsubishi because they are shit... They are shitty japanese, Acura is quality as one can see from their main company, Honda MTC. Check out the ratings on both of the cars for reliability and all. You will see a significant difference.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
alright...first of all...bad question to ask on an rsx forum....but i'll forgive ya and give you an honest answer

personally i'd have to agree with the past few posts....the RSX S is gonna be a more reliable and mechanically smoother car.....it is also a little quicker than a stock gs-t...and it does handle better...in my opinion

now...if youre just lookin for a car to make insanely fast or you insist on getting an eclipse....try to find a gs-x...the awd will handle the power of a modded turbo engine better than the gs-t's fwd will and will prob hold up better as well......but you will still have some problems running a high power gs-x...i have a couple friends who have modded gs-x's and talon tsi's (same damn thing) and they do have mechanical problems occasionally

hope this helped in some way.....good luck :thumbsup:

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
crazy said:
Better in terms of what?

Reliability, as a daily driver, fuel economy, racing (if racing this belongs in RSX Vs. All), quality, response to mods, etc...
:iamwiths:

·
smokin since birf
12,363 Posts
if you are looking for a daily driver as well as a racer than choose the rsx. i have a friend who owns a gs-t and he has had a lot of issues with his transmission, especially after upgrading his turbo with greddy but then again it may not be the car it could just be the way he drives it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ur best bet is to buy the rsx-s.. i also have a friend with a gs-t and has issues with it.. the rsx motor is more reliable

·
4bangerlvr
556 Posts
Yeah reliability is very very important, the rsx is better for daily driven usage. I have a 95 GSX and it has given me problems, and probably will continue as the pursuit for more power goes on. Eclipses set-up proporly are very difficult to beat. But it takes money and time to get to that point. My rsx is my daily driver and my Eclipse is currently the "muscle car". Mildly moddified in a GSX you can run low 13s high 12s for a few bucks. I love both of my cars for what they bring to the table.

·
DC5 to AP2
2,421 Posts
jinrsx said:
Just wondering what's better....
Those two cars aren't even in the same class. One is a fast piece of junk and the other is a reasonably nice car.

The Eclipse would be better compared to an SRT-4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
watermelonman said:
Those two cars aren't even in the same class. One is a fast piece of junk and the other is a reasonably nice car.

The Eclipse would be better compared to an SRT-4.
I don't know about all that! I have an Eagle Talon TSi AWD (a GSX) and I have had no problems. Now of course the more you add performance parts the more the reliability of the car decreaces. The stock 4G63 motor is very reliable. In addition the most recent DSM was built in '99. That is 5 years ago; and as time goes by reliability decreaces too. Most RSX owners are the original owners of their car while most DSM owners are the second or third owner and who knows how they were maintained before an enthusiast gets his/her hands on one. Now to the original question. Which is Better? It all depends. Personaly I would say the RSX S is a much "better" car than a GS-T newer, more reliable (because of reasons stated), and a little baby bit quicker. If it were a GSX to a RSX S I would say GSX because AWD in my opinion is WAY better than FWD!!! That is why when I was looking for cars I didn't go with a SRT-4 or RSX...

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
how can you say a modded eclipse is less reliable then an rsx? maybe less reliable then a stock rsx.. but once you mod that thing to run in the same 1/4 mile times as any other car, you will have reliability issues.

An awd eclipse can handle just as well as an RSX. All you need to do is shift some weight in the eclipse to the rear for a more 50/50 split. (ex. move battery to rear, remove cruise control up front, etc) those little things will help balance the weight. Most choose to stick with drag, but there are some crazy AWD auto-x people!

No doubt the rsx looks nicer inside then the eclipse, but you have to look at it this way, how does a 1997 integra look.. not all that nice.. remember the years are different, so therefore the interiors may look older/newer. I agree Mitsu doesn't take much into consideration with interiors, looking at the EVO.. But Mitsu isn't luxury branded like Acura.

As far as exterior, the rsx looks like a 4x4 stock.. the eclipse, well it was nice during its years.. and it still does look nice.

Coming from an owner of both, although former Rsx owner.. i would say the acura tranny shifts smoother then the eclipse, but thats newer technology for you. I do miss the 6spd tranny and wish I could do a swap from the new evo mr's. Also, I don't know too many cars that can drop 1.2 seconds just from installing an exhaust and downpipe ;) 15.2 to 14.08 - especially not from an rsx.

All in all, if your looking for crazy power w/o breaking the bank - eclipse
If your looking for a newer looking/designed vehicle, with a sport/luxury in mind, the RSX.

·
Stunnahood Co-Founder
2,531 Posts
Unplugged said:
how can you say a modded eclipse is less reliable then an rsx? maybe less reliable then a stock rsx.. but once you mod that thing to run in the same 1/4 mile times as any other car, you will have reliability issues.

An awd eclipse can handle just as well as an RSX. All you need to do is shift some weight in the eclipse to the rear for a more 50/50 split. (ex. move battery to rear, remove cruise control up front, etc) those little things will help balance the weight. Most choose to stick with drag, but there are some crazy AWD auto-x people!

No doubt the rsx looks nicer inside then the eclipse, but you have to look at it this way, how does a 1997 integra look.. not all that nice.. remember the years are different, so therefore the interiors may look older/newer. I agree Mitsu doesn't take much into consideration with interiors, looking at the EVO.. But Mitsu isn't luxury branded like Acura.

As far as exterior, the rsx looks like a 4x4 stock.. the eclipse, well it was nice during its years.. and it still does look nice.

Coming from an owner of both, although former Rsx owner.. i would say the acura tranny shifts smoother then the eclipse, but thats newer technology for you. I do miss the 6spd tranny and wish I could do a swap from the new evo mr's. Also, I don't know too many cars that can drop 1.2 seconds just from installing an exhaust and downpipe ;) 15.2 to 14.08 - especially not from an rsx.

All in all, if your looking for crazy power w/o breaking the bank - eclipse
If your looking for a newer looking/designed vehicle, with a sport/luxury in mind, the RSX.
I agree with everything you said except for the fact that I feel the gsx also has that horrible 4X4 stance when it is stock. In fact, when my rsx was on stock suspension it had a tiny bit less wheel gap then my friends gsx. Too bad that gsx had a built motor and would smoke the hell out of me with ease when it was running right.
-Tony

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
tb's type-s said:
I agree with everything you said except for the fact that I feel the gsx also has that horrible 4X4 stance when it is stock. In fact, when my rsx was on stock suspension it had a tiny bit less wheel gap then my friends gsx. Too bad that gsx had a built motor and would smoke the hell out of me with ease when it was running right.
-Tony
maybe less wheel gap, but the eclipse looks nicer stock vs stock rsx. Or maybe its just me.

I know the eclipses may have some reliability issues, but there's more involved in an eclipse since its turbo charged - more oil lines, coolant lines, vacumn lines, etc. More stuff to go wrong, if it does.

I'd like to see a turbo'd rsx after 80,000 miles who had a turbo put on very, very early - before 3k miles and see how well it does with some beating :D

I'm taking away a lot of stuff in my car for many reasons (less weight, don't need most of the features, less things to go wrong). I still want to keep the A/C only b/c it doesn't hold me back that much, and an extra pound of boost will probably make up for the loss in power - plus I hate being hot when driving around.

·
Stunnahood Co-Founder
2,531 Posts
Unplugged said:
maybe less wheel gap, but the eclipse looks nicer stock vs stock rsx. Or maybe its just me.

I know the eclipses may have some reliability issues, but there's more involved in an eclipse since its turbo charged - more oil lines, coolant lines, vacumn lines, etc. More stuff to go wrong, if it does.

I'd like to see a turbo'd rsx after 80,000 miles who had a turbo put on very, very early - before 3k miles and see how well it does with some beating :D

I'm taking away a lot of stuff in my car for many reasons (less weight, don't need most of the features, less things to go wrong). I still want to keep the A/C only b/c it doesn't hold me back that much, and an extra pound of boost will probably make up for the loss in power - plus I hate being hot when driving around.
Fair enough...
Stock for stock I would completely agree :thumbsup: .
-Tony

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
do you know if there is anyone in your area selling stock 97-99 GSX wheels w/ or w/o tires? I'm willing to drive down

1 - 20 of 90 Posts