Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 04 Type S with 68K on the clock. The dealer wants $14.9 for it. I got him to print out a carfax, and it shows that the car was in an accident. The front left fender was replaced cause it doesnt have the VIN sticker on it.

My question to everyone is should I buy this car? The dealer that is selling the car is really young......probably 20 or 21 years old. I can EASILY bring the price down on this car. I know the car was in an accident, but if I get a nice price should I take it? Im goin to offer $13K on the road for it. I know its a stretch, but I dont care.

Im gonna ask the dealer if I can take the car too a Acura dealership and it checked out for severe damage.

BTW the car had one owner, and the car was in an accident when it had over 9K miles on it.

Thanks for the help.

·
The Vapor Unit
840 Posts
I would just make sure there was no frame damage, other than that every thing else is just replaced, my buddy crshed his rsx no frame damage or any thing just got new bumbers and fenders and a few other simple things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats why I want to take the car to an Acura dealership to see if there was any frame damage. I seriously think there wasnt.

Is there anyway of telling if there was frame damage?

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
I found a 04 Type S with 68K on the clock. The dealer wants $14.9 for it. I got him to print out a carfax, and it shows that the car was in an accident. The front left fender was replaced cause it doesnt have the VIN sticker on it.

My question to everyone is should I buy this car? The dealer that is selling the car is really young......probably 20 or 21 years old. I can EASILY bring the price down on this car. I know the car was in an accident, but if I get a nice price should I take it? Im goin to offer $13K on the road for it. I know its a stretch, but I dont care.

Im gonna ask the dealer if I can take the car too a Acura dealership and it checked out for severe damage.

BTW the car had one owner, and the car was in an accident when it had over 9K miles on it.

Thanks for the help.
Oh btw let me come with you for the test drive :thumbsup:

·
02 RSX Type-S NBP
49 Posts
I'm buying a 04 RSX type S also pretty soon and there were a small collision also on it. The hood was replaced and the left door also. It was not smashed just a few holes like rocks on it. Nothing else was touch. I got a good question on any RSX experts, it says Type S on the back, its a 6-speed manual transmission but the redline on the RPM is at 7400, not 7900-8100 as any other Type S. redline for RSX premium is 6800 normally so it looks like neither one. Vtec kicks in at 6000rpm. I just dont know if I can raise it higher than 7400 without causing damage to the engine. I didn't look if it was a k20a2 or k20a3 in it. VIN number contains DC535. Any feedback?

·
These Colors Might Run
3,668 Posts

Thanks for the help.

Based on my experience with cars that have been in accidents (2 accidents, same car) no car is the same after an accident. Replacing a rear bumper is one thing, but a fender is another. I agree with the others; don't go higher than 12k. Good luck!

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
I'm buying a 04 RSX type S also pretty soon and there were a small collision also on it. The hood was replaced and the left door also. It was not smashed just a few holes like rocks on it. Nothing else was touch. I got a good question on any RSX experts, it says Type S on the back, its a 6-speed manual transmission but the redline on the RPM is at 7400, not 7900-8100 as any other Type S. redline for RSX premium is 6800 normally so it looks like neither one. Vtec kicks in at 6000rpm. I just dont know if I can raise it higher than 7400 without causing damage to the engine. I didn't look if it was a k20a2 or k20a3 in it. VIN number contains DC535. Any feedback?

sounds like previos owner put in a custom dash or did something really idiotic to ituu

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
you sure?
sounds mad sketchy. ask the owner whats going on.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

Thanks for the help.
Low ball the dealer and use the accident as a leverage. I understand the car has been in an accident but you probabaly wont know the difference. If the body shop did a good job and the lines match up then it shouldn't matter especially if it doesn't have frame damage. Look for rewelds and mismatched paints under the hood

Based on the Vin, it's not a Type-S. Did the owner maybe just put in a 6-speed knob or maybe even a Type-S swap on a base?

·
9k FTW
3,196 Posts
seriously, walk away. The car is out of warranty at that mileage, and thats alot of miles on just an 04. Accident free, 14.5 is what I would want to pay for that car. With the crash, I wouldn't give them a dime more than 13k+tax

1 - 18 of 18 Posts