Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not my first manual so i know that there is some jerkiness with driving stick, but the car jerks HARD when going on or off the throttle. Its more pronounced in lower gears, but definitely still exists all the way to 6th. I also have idling issues, have the p0507 code and at stationary the rpm bounces from 1k-1200 and when coasting in neutral it surges to 2k ish and goes down once the car fully stops. I have a feeling they are connected bc of other things ive read abt the tps sensor and how easily they go out. I dont think its mounts, visually fine and no excessive shaking at idle although they are slowly on their way out. The jerkiness is kinda like one large lurch like if you shift too fast and if i press the throttle and depress it a few times in lower gears quickly it shakes like crazy. Rpm doesnt appear to change when it lurches. I have taken out my idle air control valve and cleaned it although it doesnt rule out the possibility of it being bad. Have also done the idle relearn procedure to no avail. Any help?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is from the manual. You take off the intake and there are two ports as you look in.

6. Put your fingers on the lower port (A) in the throttle body.
A
Does the engine speed drop below 700 1 (750) 2 rpm?
YES-Check the idle speed with a different load condition (electrical, A/C, gear position, P/S etc.) (see page 11-348). If it’s out of specification, replace the IAC valve (see page 11-412).
NO-Check for vacuum leaks at these parts.
• PCV valve
• PCV hose
• EVAP canister purge valve
• Throttle body
• Intake manifold
• Brake booster hose
• Intake air bypass control thermal valve

I've never smoke tested, but spraying those parts with some carb clean will cause th motor to change as it gets sucked in. Not sure how to post the pics from manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is from the manual. You take off the intake and there are two ports as you look in.

6. Put your fingers on the lower port (A) in the throttle body.
A
Does the engine speed drop below 700 1 (750) 2 rpm?
YES-Check the idle speed with a different load condition (electrical, A/C, gear position, P/S etc.) (see page 11-348). If it’s out of specification, replace the IAC valve (see page 11-412).
NO-Check for vacuum leaks at these parts.
• PCV valve
• PCV hose
• EVAP canister purge valve
• Throttle body
• Intake manifold
• Brake booster hose
• Intake air bypass control thermal valve

I've never smoke tested, but spraying those parts with some carb clean will cause th motor to change as it gets sucked in. Not sure how to post the pics from manual.
Hmm so earlier today I replaced my tps and my iacv with new gaskets and the car was fine for an hour or so of driving, but now the issue has come back. Putting my hand over the port in the tb does make the idle drop to 700, so i believe it still has to do with the iacv. I tried the idle relearn procedure, but now the car seems to idle roughly at 2k with occasional dips to around 1k. I dont know if maybe its the throttle cables at this point? Obd is showing throttle percent at 9.8 when closed if that means anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,034 Posts
Hmm so earlier today I replaced my tps and my iacv with new gaskets and the car was fine for an hour or so of driving, but now the issue has come back. Putting my hand over the port in the tb does make the idle drop to 700, so i believe it still has to do with the iacv. I tried the idle relearn procedure, but now the car seems to idle roughly at 2k with occasional dips to around 1k. I dont know if maybe its the throttle cables at this point? Obd is showing throttle percent at 9.8 when closed if that means anything.
TPS needs to be calibrated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm ok I'll c
just checked tps calibration, showing .478 when closed. Acuity's instructions say to calibrate between .48-.49 however elsewhere online says to calibrate to .45 so im unsure which way to move it. I also tried checking for vacuum leaks by covering up the port on the tb completely with the intake off and the car dipped to around 1k ish but didn't die so now i don't know if the issue is maybe a vac leak?

·
Super Moderator
2,034 Posts
Hmm ok I'll c

just checked tps calibration, showing .478 when closed. Acuity's instructions say to calibrate between .48-.49 however elsewhere online says to calibrate to .45 so im unsure which way to move it. I also tried checking for vacuum leaks by covering up the port on the tb completely with the intake off and the car dipped to around 1k ish but didn't die so now i don't know if the issue is maybe a vac leak?
I would follow Acuity's instructions unless a thread on here has mentioned otherwise. Was the IACV spinning freely when you installed it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts