Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
DSM DC5
170 Posts
There are a few of these write ups on this site, but here is another version. Hopefully you can take what you need out of them all and complete the conversion.

2005-2006 RSX Taillight Conversion on 2002-2004 Model.

TOOLS NEEDED
10mm Socket
8mm Deep Socket
Phillips Screw Driver
Wire Cutters
Dremel or Drill
Butt Connectors or Solder
Electrical Tape

PARTS NEEDED
New or used, these are the parts you will need to do the conversion. www.Acuraautomotiveparts.org has diagrams, part numbers and good pricing.

Taillight Brackets
71541-S6M-010 BEAM, R. RR. BUMPER (UPPER) - $15.62
71591-S6M-010 BEAM, L. FR. BUMPER (UPPER) - $15.62

Reverse Sockets
33513-S2A-003 SOCKET (T10) (x2) - $4.92
Note: You will also need the plugs that plug into the sockets, as the 02-04 plugs are different. Using the part number for the sockets listed above, call your Honda/Acura dealer and tell them you need the plugs for these sockets. You can purchase them with wire for an additional charge.

Plugs for Reverse Sockets
04321-S2A-306 (5 pieces) - $5.18
Note: If you are doing a JDM tail lights conversion, you can use the rear side marker lights for the reverse bulbs. The JDM don't have holes to put the marker lights in so they aren't needed after converting.

Taillights
33501-S6M-A51 LAMP UNIT, R. TAIL - $183.14
33551-S6M-A51 LAMP UNIT, L. TAIL - $183.14

Mud Flap Base Cover (Different than 02-04.)
74551-S6M-J00 COVER, R. RR. FENDER - $12.61
74591-S6M-J00 COVER, L. RR. FENDER - $12.61

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Remove your stock bumper.
- Remove the screws holding the bumper to the quarter panel
- Remove Mud guards
- Remove plastic clips on underside of bumper cover.
- Remove bumper by unsnapping the sides from the body. Unplug license plate light. Pull bumper off.

2. Remove Taillights
- Unplug all wiring
- Remove 4 8mm nuts on each taillght.
- Remove 10mm nuts securing taillight brackets.
- Remove taillights.

3. 05-06 Lights
There are two options when installing the lights. You can saw off one of the mounting posts on the taillight. Or, you can drill a hole for the mounting post. The 05-06 lights mount differently.
- Place the taillight up to the car and mark where hole needs to be drilled. See the picture for details. I used toothpaste on the end of the mounting post to show me where I needed to drill. See photo where pen is pointing.

4. Install Taillights
- Secure taillights with 4 8mm nuts.
- Secure 10mm nuts on bracket

5. Wiring
- Disconnect taillight wiring harness on passenger side. Find your turn signal plug (see photo) and cut the plug off, leaving enough wire. Use approximately 6-8 inches of wire and lengthen wiring to the signal plug.
- Using new plug for reverse sockets, attach plug. No extra wire should be needed.
- Electrical tape wires and re-secure to vehicle.
Note: The drives side plugs/wires are long enough to reach all sockets.

6. Sockets/Bulbs
- Install all sockets in appropriate places. Plug in wiring.
- You will have one extra plug. The 05-06 only required 1 running/brake light whereas the 02-04 had 2.
- Turn on running lights and emergency flashers to ensure all bulbs are working properly.
- Troubleshoot any problems. You should not have any.

7. Mud guard base cover
- Install this cover on both sides, with the one innermost screw.
Note: After completing the conversion and having fitment issues with the mud guards and bumper, I researched part numbers. This cover/piece was changed in 05-06. It in not a mandatory piece if you choose not to use it.

8. Bumper Install
- Install your new freshly painted rear bumper. Snap it in and install screws. Check for fitment issues.

Additional Parts/Instructions. - Some people have opted to use the brake/running light socket off the 05-06. With slight mofification to the 05-06 Taillight, the 02-04 Socket will fit. Simply shave off the tabs.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Very informative write up...+rep...Looks like another 05-06 DSM...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
you cant use the same "04" bumper right??/
i would say no...it has the "indentations" in it for the 04 taillights....aside from looking wierd I don't think it would even fit backon under the 05-06 lights....

·
DSM DC5
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the bumper for $300 Shipped off of ebay, it was Blaze Orange. Surprisingly nobody bids on 05-06 parts on ebay. I paid $300 for the paint job from a good collision center. $30 for the sockets/wiring. $25 for the taillight brackets...After everything is said and done, the price adds up. I like it better so far. Thanks for all the positive feedback.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Might just be me or the picture..but is the bumper color matched exactly? It looks like a darker color to me.
Nice write up, I'm hoping to do this too. How long did it take? I asked this question a few minutes ago and no one answered so maybe you can. But do your lights light up like the 02 ones? Where both lights come on or is it just the single one like how the 05s are? Thanks.
+ rep

·
DSM DC5
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Might just be me or the picture..but is the bumper color matched exactly? It looks like a darker color to me.
Nice write up, I'm hoping to do this too. How long did it take? I asked this question a few minutes ago and no one answered so maybe you can. But do your lights light up like the 02 ones? Where both lights come on or is it just the single one like how the 05s are? Thanks.
+ rep

I wired them to light up like the 05-06 are supposed to light up. 1 running light, 1 brake light. You will have one extra plug after the conversion is complete due to the 02-04 having 2 running/brake lights.

I suppose you can hook them up to run them like the 02-04, you would have to do some playing around with the wiring. There is a DIY post on CRSX giving instructions on how to do this.

Metallic paint will never be exact and in some lighting can be slightly noticeable. The only way to get it to be perfect is to do the whole car. In direct sunlight you would never be able to tell. In the picture, there was some overcast and the photo made it noticeable.

After everything was said and done, it took me a few hours. I still have some minor things to do as far as fitment. I bought the new plastic sections where the bumper clips in to and the plastic sections where the mug guards go. Just awaiting shipment and I can get this project 100%.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
plastic such as bumpers is really difficult to match 100%. Metal such as fenders is a different story...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do u know know the Part # for the Signal light socket and plug? Also wat is the Plug tat goes into the socket called and #?

·
/fail
89 Posts
bringing this thread back just so anyone in northern cali bay area knows not to go to mike harvey acura to get any parts for this conversion, almost 2x mark up over the link provided in this tread and the parts guy knows nothing. had no idea what plug went into what socket and was telling me i needed to buy the whole wiring harness just to get the extra wire....lame, anyone know if i call acura automotive parts theyll know right off the bat all the parts and numbers necessary?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, i had the same problem they told me to buy the whole harness which cost a grip. I would like to know the plug part # 2.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts