Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that my cars (05 S ) ride is very harsh and you feel every little imperfection in the road, and the inside make a lot of noise because of this very stiff ride. Normally i would think its ok but it concerns me because i compare it to my friends 03 rsx-S and the ride is soo much smoother in his car. Both have stock suspension, me=stock tires him=front nitto neogen tires, even he commented on the ride of my car today when we were in my car. I know 05 have stiffer suspension but Acura also said the ride is smoother, and 17s w/ lower sidewall also contributes but its too big a difference i think, what i want to know is what could this be a sign of, suspension problem wise maybe? blown shocks possibly? or anything else... btw has anyone else comapred an 05 S to a 02-04 S?
- Both cars Stock suspension

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
i would have it checked out, some peeps have had suspension problems on 05's! and everybody knows the stock tires blooooooow! i thought the complete opposite as you, when i picked up my 05! i was expecting it to be harsh! good luck

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
yup, the hell with stock tires,,i hate them too. my 05' is a little too noisy as well, i test drove an 03' and id have to say that the ride is much more quiet than the 05'...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
well, here's my take on my 05 stock suspension.

now that we have a larger stock rear swaybar, the rear shocks were detune to compensate for the larger sway. IMO, the suspension is very unpredictable driving down a fairly straight stretch of road. i feel that the car's suspension falls victim to any imperfection in the road.

however, when driving 'spirited' or through hard cornering (freeway on and off ramps), the suspension isn't too bad, i can feel the car understeer and oversteer when rolling off the gas or getting on the gas.

I agree that the suspension isn't the smoothest, but tolerable...

can't wait for the tanabe sevens!!! :thumbsup:

good luck with everything

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya but im saying its such a big differnce compared with an 03 rsx-s that it concerns me. i know there has to be someone that has compared both back to back. plus it just makes me thnk stock shocks are blown so theres no damping, therefore a very stiff ride. anyway to check for blown stick shocks?(load test, or any way)

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Try to find another '05 or '06 to test drive; if that one's different, then yeah, there's a problem, and not just a model revision thing.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,088 Posts
Dude throw on the A-spec suspension.... you really feel it all.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think if your shocks were blown your car would be bouncing all over the place because then you would be just riding on the springs. I have an 05 and yes it is stiff and you can feel every imperfection. I was one of the ones that had the suspension replaced because of the poping noise so I know mine are not blown. It is just the way the suspension is... Stiff and tight... sometimes it gets annoying but I have gotten used to it and am glad for it when I am going through the twistys or cutting through traffic :)

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it just seems wierd that its like that since i tought the 05s where designed to have smoother ride, and not THAT much stiffer than older rsx-s but the ride is soo much worse tan my friends 03 S

·
typeSdrivinG
3,428 Posts
i thought it was pretty much the same. for a outside perspective, push down on your front two fenders and your rear and see if it makes a sound. like an already blown shock maybe? go to the dealer and have them look at it or try test driving an '05-'06 and see if it has the same roughness.

·
Whats this,Diarrhea Soup?
976 Posts
The stock suspension is pretty good, its nice and stiff. The problem is you cant play with the car too much because the stock tires are mush and the entire car feels unstable around corners even at slow speeds. It would feel great with a good set of Yoko's

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to be honest i really like the stock tires, im saying this as a comparison to a S with nitto NeoGens. they dont grip as much in straight line drag racing but in tthe turns they dont squell as much as people think and they make the handling at the limit very predictible, ive taken turns at 85-90 where a rsx S with betters tires had a hard time and ive lost the rear at 80 on a downhill curve and the handling was predictible enough that i gripped it with out any drama.

·
Registered
416 Posts
When my struts were shot the ride got bouncy. Blown strut = no dampening

I suggest checking the tire pressure.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
1st SilverOne said:
I suggest checking the tire pressure.
Ah, yes. 5 psi can make a difference in feel. :thumbsup:

(I'm not joking or being sarcastic, either)

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Wanger said:
If you want to feel a stiff suspension, slap on a set of megans hehe.
Better yet, ride in a Corvette (especially one from the mid-Eighties with the Z51 handling package).

·
Registered
192 Posts
when i compare my 05 to my friend's 05 both stock, his car rides much more comfortable. In my car, i can feel every inperfection on the road. I'll check the tire presure on both car to make sure.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
first +rep to everyone who helped... 2nd my tire pressure is 32 all around, i asked my friend and he said he was above 30 PSi, soo... and to QFCK2001 , you comapred your 05 S to a 05 base or S? it would be wierd if both were S and they had a different ride quality

1 - 20 of 31 Posts