Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I have crawled clubrsx looking for solutions to my problem but haven't found a solution. I just bought an 05 RSX Type S and I am hearing a whistling sound right around when VTEC kicks in, so about 5500RPM. The noise is directly related to how much throttle I give the car. It's very pronounced at WOT. It doesn't make a difference if I push the clutch in or put the car in neutral. I can't replicate the sound unless the wheels are spinning or else it'll hit rev limiter. The car currently has an oil leak and won't reach the middle line on the temperature gauge, but I don't know if those are related.

The sound is almost exactly like this clip
https://youtu.be/sSpz-cHdNP8

I first thought it was the VTEC solenoid so I changed it out with my friends, no difference. Low power steering fluid was also a suggestion, mine is full. Intake leaks were the next suggestion. I swapped between my stock intake and my friend's AEM CAI. The sound still did not go away, but the VTEC crossover was much more pronounced. I am sure that it isn't the speakers making the sound.

I'm really frustrated trying to solve this.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I really can't hear it. If it stays a constant pitch (like a note on a piano); but just gets louder with RPMs... I'm guessing it's intake related. If it increases/decreases in pitch with RPMs; probably pulley/bearing/belt or something similar. I recall with intakes that whistling would happen when the engine was under load differently that just revving the throttle in neutral.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really can't hear it. If it stays a constant pitch (like a note on a piano); but just gets louder with RPMs... I'm guessing it's intake related. If it increases/decreases in pitch with RPMs; probably pulley/bearing/belt or something similar. I recall with intakes that whistling would happen when the engine was under load differently that just revving the throttle in neutral.
I had a friend race me in his 8th gen si, and I kept up with him just fine so there's no noticeable power loss. According to him, the whistling sound is really loud from the exhaust but almost muted from the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you ever fix the problem? Did you have to replace the whole muffler, or just a gasket, or was it something else?
I ended up having to replace the muffler, I remember reading a thread about it but I didn't take it seriously since the source of the sound seemed to come from the front.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts