Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tarzan
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently I have been having an issue with an annoying chirping sound coming from my engine or other component that i was unaware of. The sound only occurred when the car was idleing and when I would push the clutch in the noise would stop. So, First I took my car to Acura to have it checked out. I told the Service guy that i was hearing a noise and it would go away when i pushed the clutch. He said hed take a look and i went on my way.

A few days later i made a mistake by allowing my parents to pick up my car and find out the problem. The Acura guy said my CAI is rubbing on something. He gave my parents a written feedback and i qoute words from the write up; "something" and use of words like "possibly" and "could" in his statment. There was no direct answer and it was obvious that he saw the CAI and immediately blamed the CAI. My parents took the bs and came home empty handed. If i was in the situation, I would have made him prove the problem as is required by law in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty. This Act requires dealers to actually prove the aftermarket part is the source of the problem.

So I ended up fighting with my service advisor and made him diagnose the problem.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM AND MY ACTUAL QUESTION:
I was wondering if this issue has affected any other 06 owners? And if this problem occurs for anyone in the future i would like to help them. Here is the official write up and the ACTUAL problem.

"Costumer states there is a high pitched chirping noise coming from the drivetrain. Area when transmission is in neutral and clutch pedal is out. Noise goes away when clutch pedal is pushed in PLS check and advise. Premature wear on shift fork causing a gouge/ burn line on bearing, replaced fork & throw-out bearing"

Also i would like to know if mis-shifting could have caused this? and I would like to say that at first Acura said they would not pay for the issue because it was not the car's malfunction, but user error. After diagnosis they admitted that the car was the culprit and they have never seen an issue like this. They paid for the repairs.

Summary:
1.)chirping noise that goes away when clutch is pushed in
2.) Acura tries to blame CAI
3.) In the end, a premature wear on shift fork caused a gouge/ burn on bearing.
4.) The fork and throw-out bearing was replaced

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
No car is perfect, anything can happen. It's good that you caught it early, a release bearing that seizes will quickly turn your clutch pressure plate into scrap metal.

·
I <3 Shruti Agarwal.
1,103 Posts
My car did this its an 06 Base Auto though it chirped when in idle but if you rev the engine barely it would stop kinda like your problem. I've been meaning to get mine checked out but I havent had time for it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey man, it happend to my 05 as well, if your getting that, you are probably also getting the same noise around 2-3 rpm...its the engine itself, i took mine numerous times to the dealership and they couldn't diagnose the real problem. all they told me is to wait until it gets worse and bring it back...lmao...and yes it is due to premature fork damaging, the transmission of the RSX is probably the worst one ever made by honda. I can't believe they let themselfs create something so cheaply made.

The reason for this problem is due to the fact that the timing belt is made out of metal, which was not in the past. You also don't hear it when you press the clutch because RPM is not present while you are doing that.

My best advice would be to sell your car, and get something better. I agree that for the price of a Type S, you are getting a good reliable car, but hell, even the old civics did not do this type of shit.

·
Don't hate the Russian
1,395 Posts
Hey man, it happend to my 05 as well, if your getting that, you are probably also getting the same noise around 2-3 rpm...its the engine itself, i took mine numerous times to the dealership and they couldn't diagnose the real problem. all they told me is to wait until it gets worse and bring it back...lmao...and yes it is due to premature fork damaging, the transmission of the RSX is probably the worst one ever made by honda. I can't believe they let themselfs create something so cheaply made.

The reason for this problem is due to the fact that the timing belt is made out of metal, which was not in the past. You also don't hear it when you press the clutch because RPM is not present while you are doing that.

My best advice would be to sell your car, and get something better. I agree that for the price of a Type S, you are getting a good reliable car, but hell, even the old civics did not do this type of shit.
Blah Blah Blah.... nobody should listen to what you have to say...

·
Don't hate the Russian
1,395 Posts
thats daniel88 for you...

·
Zero Tolerance 4 Retards
809 Posts

1. It's a timing chain not a belt.
2. I can't fathom how the timing chain could possibly affect the shift fork.

Perfect examples that daniel doesn't know his asshole from his elbow and nobody should listen to anything he says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts