Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but didn't find an answer to this question:

Can I use '05/'06 front lower control arms on an '02-'04 RSX?

I know they are different parts, different part numbers, and caster changed in '05, but will they fit an '02 without issue?

If they fit OK, I can get new LCAs, new bushings, and increased caster (hopefully).

·
Registered
8,303 Posts

I know they are different parts, different part numbers, and caster changed in '05, but will they fit an '02 without issue?

If they fit OK, I can get new LCAs, new bushings, and increased caster (hopefully).
They should fit, but don't quot me.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

I don't see why not...did spindles and cradles change? If not, everything should be all good, unless they got that caster change from re-positioning the control arm mounting location on the cradle...

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there were some changes to the lower ball joints, but I thought that change occurred in mid-2002.....

:dontknow:

·
Slow in Fast out
2,884 Posts
If I remember correctly, 05/06 control arms use different sized tapered holes for the ball joints. If you want more castor, better off with the Type-R control alarms w/ a tapered sleeve kit (King sells the sleeves so you utilize an 02-04 ball joint).

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I remember correctly, 05/06 control arms use different sized tapered holes for the ball joints. If you want more castor, better off with the Type-R control alarms w/ a tapered sleeve kit (King sells the sleeves so you utilize an 02-04 ball joint).
Well, I was thinking of the caster increase as an added bonus.

I'm primarily interested in a cheap and relatively labor-free bushing replacement.

I'm wanting to replace my ball joints as well - so I wonder if I order these '06 LCAs and a set of '06 replacement ball joints (aftermarket), will the ball joints fit my '02 knuckle?

Or maybe I should buy the knuckles along with the LCAs, if they will fit the '02 strut, LOL.

Then I'd have all new bushings, ball joints and hub bearings.

·
Slow in Fast out
2,884 Posts
lol, I'm pretty sure 02-04 RSX-S, 05-06 RSX-S, and the Type-R all use different knuckle ball joint bores. Sucks, doesn't it?

Edit: I have a brand new set of SuperPro caster increasing bushings (poly) if you want them. The front arms really aren't too bad :D

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hell, if I keep working my way up the front suspensions, I'll end up replacing the whole car

well, except for the subframe, LOL!

Are you referring to the holes that bolt up to the struts or the holes in the knuckle that accept the balljoints?

So how about ordering '06 replacement balljoints for the '02 knuckles and '06 LCAs?

Yes, it does suck!

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh, yeah, you're referring to the knuckle balljoint bore - so if I get an '06 knuckle along with the '06 LCAs, I'll be good to go (maybe) if the knuckles will bolt up to the struts.

·
1 of 1
5,669 Posts
05-06 Type-S have a larger ball joint so that's why the knuckle has a different part #. Also the 05-06 control arm is the same except it has a larger hole for the larger ball joint stud so it won't work on your car unless it's an 05-06 base LCA then it's the same as the 02-04.

Better off just get some ITR LCA's if you're going to buy new ones with the smaller taper sleeve pressed in from king.

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm confused and tired.

Maybe I should just start by replacing the balljoints, if I can get an answer on which ones fit my car - hondapartsunlimited.com et. al. list two different knuckles for '02 base RSX, I believe because the balljoints are different.

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Even if the '06 LCA + knuckle combination would fit, then I'd have an issue with my base halfshafts not fitting the hubs, maybe the calipers wouldn't fit the knuckles either.

·
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone know how to tell which of the two knuckles+balljoints listed on the Honda online parts catalogs will fit my car?

Did Acura start using a different balljoint after some certain VIN in 2002?

2002 appears to be the only year two knuckles+balljoint part numbers are listed for base RSX.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts