Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cleaned the seats according to instruction of both Lexol cleaner and conditioner for my leather seats. The problem is a few hours after or even the next day the seats get sticky and pick up lint every way imaginable and my black seats get dirty within a week. Does anyone else get this?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Had the same problem, I quit using the cleaner after the first try, its a pain to get it off and like you said just turns sticky.

·
Because STIGCAR
1,000 Posts
Have the black 06 leathers and do not have that problem.

I use Lexol cleaner and Zymol conditioner and apply both by hand.

First I vacuum the leather well. I spray the cleaner directly on the leather then work it in by hand and let it sit for a couple minutes. Next, I take a damp microfiber and wipe it down not once, but twice. The then car goes into the sun for about 10 minutes to warm the leather then back into the garage. The conditioner gets worked in by hand, let to sit a little while, then buffed well with a clean microfiber.

Just my method.

·
Registered
633 Posts
lexol, spray seats down when dry, use a scrub brush drenched in water, scrub. the wipe with dry towel . then spray seats with conditioner, use a sponge mainly dry to absorb excess chemicals. wipe down with micro-fiber towel when done ....thats waterway clean.... a car wash i work at. it wont look like armor all shine just clean and smooth

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
69 Posts
RSX 'leather' seats are coated. With vinyl/plastic. Leather conditioner with all of its 'oils' and 'lotions' will do absolutely nothing for the RSX seats except deposit a bunch of greasy crap on top. Sure, they may look new and shiny, but it won't last, and even worse, they're appear much dirtier very quickly.

Since the 'leather' is vinyl coated, treat them as if they were vinyl seats. Just give them a good cleaning with water+woolite and a good microfiber.

·
Registered
704 Posts
RSX 'leather' seats are coated. With vinyl/plastic. Leather conditioner with all of its 'oils' and 'lotions' will do absolutely nothing for the RSX seats except deposit a bunch of greasy crap on top. Sure, they may look new and shiny, but it won't last, and even worse, they're appear much dirtier very quickly.

Since the 'leather' is vinyl coated, treat them as if they were vinyl seats. Just give them a good cleaning with water+woolite and a good microfiber.
:face:

Just because it's top-coated doesn't mean that quality leather conditioners and cleaners should not be used. Try some leatherique and you'll quickly change your mind

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts

Where do you get that info?
From what I understand, the leather is plain ol leather on the perforated surfaces. Nothing really special. No vinyl coatings or anything.
The bolstering and door inserts are plain old vinyl with leather texture.

·
Registered
704 Posts
He's right...most furniture and automotive leather is top-coated which is why a drop of water beads up on it.

"At the most elementary level there are two types of leather . Aniline and Top Coated or Pigmented Leathers.
Aniline leather is dyed right through during tanning but is naked and has no coating on the top of the hide.
Pigmented leather has a top coat which protects the leather as well as making the colour uniform over the whole hide. Confusion starts when terms such as 'Semi-aniline leather' is used. This is an aniline leather with a light top coat , such as a wax coated leather but is sometimes used for a soft full grain pigmented leather.

Most leather used for upholstery is Top Coated or Pigmented ,either corrected or full grain. Generally full grain leather is softer to the touch but can vary considerably as can corrected leather. Corrected leather has been buffed and embossed during manufacture to make the hide more uniform .

Top Coated leather is harder wearing and more resistant to sun fade than aniline leathers. Also pigmented leathers are more resistant to staining than aniline leathers.

If a Pigmented leather is damaged, it can be repaired. Little can be done if a aniline leather is scraped, except to replace the leather."

But I'm pretty sure it's not any type of vinyl coating..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just used both lexol cleaner and conditioner last night. I recommend the cleaning wipes as each wipe has the perfect amount for each seat. You have to make sure you wipe the cleaner off completely with a good cloth, the seats should be completely dry before you apply the conditioner. I applied the conditioner with 2 sprays to a 100% cotton sponge, let sit for 5 minutes and then wiped down with a new clean sponge just as the directions say. The next morning it looks and feels like bran new leather, not sticky at all, it was just perfect it feels nice and soft and soo smooth, definitely an improvement, so you are definitely applying it wrong just follow the directions man.

·
Need Help ?
1,891 Posts
^I hate wipes. Cause I can't use something that says it clean and condition at the same time. Cause what is it really doing. Conditioning when the cleaner inside it remove the conditioner or the cleaning when the conditioner is putting a layer of or conditioner on top of it. Argh ?

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
He's right...most furniture and automotive leather is top-coated which is why a drop of water beads up on it.
Yeah, I'd have to assume that any top coat would have to allow the leather to breathe.
And a lot of the beading is going to come from the fact that the leather has been treated with oils (water beads up on oil), which is why conditioners "restore natural oil", etc, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts