Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the throttle body gasket and air idle control valve and upon firing it up the first time it cranked right up. The rpms fluctuated for about two minutes then came to a rest at about 800 rpm for about 5 minutes. I shut it off took it off jacks and went to crank it to go test drive it and it fired up the rpms jumped up to about 2000 and back down to normal three times then it kills the engine. It even happens it your giving it some gas it shuts off at the same time no matter what.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How many miles do you have on the engine? I was getting a CEL for Throttle Position Sensor and replaced all of the sensors and still kept getting the problem. Stopped getting the CEL but now the car wouldn't stay on similar to yours. Checked the timing and it was off slightly so reset it. Realized the chain was stretched so we did a full timing chain replacement with guides and tensioner. Fixed the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles do you have on the engine? I was getting a CEL for Throttle Position Sensor and replaced all of the sensors and still kept getting the problem. Stopped getting the CEL but now the car wouldn't stay on similar to yours. Checked the timing and it was off slightly so reset it. Realized the chain was stretched so we did a full timing chain replacement with guides and tensioner. Fixed the problem.
It's got just over 126000 on it and I just replaced the timing chain but I did not replace the tensioner or guides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's got just over 126000 on it and I just replaced the timing chain but I did not replace the tensioner or guides.
Hmm.. Mine had ~200K miles. I'm not sure man. Why didn't you replace the tensioner while you were in there, its only like $50?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm.. Mine had ~200K miles. I'm not sure man. Why didn't you replace the tensioner while you were in there, its only like $50?
The person helping me decided to put everything back on without me there is why that happened. And thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a half dozen of these cars and I can tell you they have major problems with ground straps corroding and causing all kinds of strange problems, mainly being starting issues. There are braided straps from the motor to the frame in various places and obviously battery to frame. Check them all. Replace any that look even close to not perfect. There are I think 2 hidden ones one behind the motor to firewall and one from lower block to passenger side frame rail. Replace any or all. They are super cheap and solve tons of electrical issues in these cars in particular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts