Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This third gear wall shit is pissing me off. I know its not me , cause ive been driving stick for 3 years, and this car for about 5 months. It has like 5000 miles on it and now and then when I go into third it hits a little wall, then goes in. Any one know what the deal is with this shit.
cars a 06 si

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nah it happens even when its warm, now and then though, not every day, but i didnt change the tranny fluid yet because it only has 5500 k on it so i didnt think i had to yet???
thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
3rd gear wall from time to time seems to be pretty common, unfortunately. I know it happens once in a while on my 07 Si, mainly first thing in the morning. I have done a short shifter and shifter base bushings, and have the shifter cable bushings on order(07 is different from 06 for these parts) in order to try to help this situation out. It has made a little + difference so far, but nothing major. A lot of people are using Amsoil MTF synthetic fluid and having great results. I am going to give it a while, then change the fuid with Honda MTF, and see if it helps any. If it does not, I will probably use the Amsoil or Redline MTF.

Also, make sure that you have Honda document that you are having the issue before you do anything. And I have only 1,500 miles on the Si.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a little side note, I know that the President of Spoon recommends that people change their tranny fluid each time they change their engine oil, at about 3,000 mile intervals. At 1,500 miles, I am going to change mine out as soon as I get a chance to, just to be safe and to get any bits of metal out of the case.

·
6262 Powered
1,286 Posts
Its been happening to me in my 07.I had the dealership change the trans fluid and it helped but it didn't completely fix the problem.I am gonna give it a couple more months then I am going over to either Amsoil MTF synthetic or royal purple trans fluid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
3rd gear wall from time to time seems to be pretty common, unfortunately. I know it happens once in a while on my 07 Si, mainly first thing in the morning. I have done a short shifter and shifter base bushings, and have the shifter cable bushings on order(07 is different from 06 for these parts) in order to try to help this situation out. It has made a little + difference so far, but nothing major. A lot of people are using Amsoil MTF synthetic fluid and having great results. I am going to give it a while, then change the fuid with Honda MTF, and see if it helps any. If it does not, I will probably use the Amsoil or Redline MTF.

Also, make sure that you have Honda document that you are having the issue before you do anything. And I have only 1,500 miles on the Si.
Don't even bother wasting your time with Honda's MTF. If it was that good in the first place, people wouldn't be having this issue. I threw in GM Sync. and called it a day....

·
RSX Lover
1,793 Posts
fuck that is like not a wall its just 3rds angle is hard to shift fast and hard into I find if u go easy but fast its fine...its not the trans or nothing......And this is on a 07 SI coupe

This is *NOT* the problem and it *IS* indeed the transmission. Going in easy doesn't fix the problem. I made a thread with videos of the 3rd gear problem and I detailed what was happening. Honda has replaced my tranny within the last month and the new one works much better.

Here is the thread with vids: 3rd Gear pop out videos

So "fuck that" and say bye bye to the land of ignorance... hopefully.

_

·
Bobak
8 Posts
ya! i have the exact same problem on my 06 rsx-s ... it hasnt happened when im shifting hard, but sometimes itll hit the wall and ill feel like its all the way in gear but then it will grind .... its annoying haha

·
Currently High.
790 Posts
ya this used to happen to me in my rsx. i change my tranny fluid every 2k miles with my oil. no problems and it used to pop out of 2nd and 3rd mainly in turns but nothing now.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
Just a little side note, I know that the President of Spoon recommends that people change their tranny fluid each time they change their engine oil, at about 3,000 mile intervals. At 1,500 miles, I am going to change mine out as soon as I get a chance to, just to be safe and to get any bits of metal out of the case.
IMO thats over kill. U don't need to change the tranny fluid that much unless you track your car regularly.

For daily drivers maybe more like every 3rd or 4th oil change.

And I had a 3rd gear wall.

Amsoil cured my problem.

I switched to Amsoil over 8k miles ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had the same problem in my 06 Si....i changed to the newer Honda MTF (with the greed label/white top).....and that fixed the problem....after about 3000-4000 miles on her i still don't have a problem with 3rd popping out....(except when i'm lazy shifting)..

i did notice after watching those videos that the RSX actually goes in 3rd then it pops out after....with my Si i only noticed it while shifting.....when i put it in gear it either goes in gear smooth or it would have like a 2 snap kinda feel....then go in gear.....but like i said those problems were b4 the MTF change...

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
i heard about that problem..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.