Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made my own intake, based on the stock one. It consisted of a bunch of cutting and adding my own 3" piping to get some better air. I have no idea about hp gains, as there's no dyno within 100 miles of me, but I can base some claims off of 1/4 times. The intake cost me $10 above and beyond the price of a used stock intake. Here's my times (old baseline and new) on the stock tires:

K&N filter only:
1/8: 10.62 @ 72.1 at 2500' (alt. corrected: 10.28 @ 74.2)
1/4: 15.77 @ 93.2 at 2500' (alt. corrected: 15.30 @ 96.1)

Modded airbox and K&N:
1/8: 10.054 @ 77.338 at 2500' (alt. corrected: 9.72 @ 79.4)
1/4: 15.179 @ 97.982 at 2500' (alt. corrected: 14.73 @ 101.0)

The strip I run at is at 2500' with the density altitude typically between 3000' (winter) to 9000' (summer). I used the 2500' altitude for the corrections in parentheses, using the NHRA altitude correction chart, although they probably should be better... What do you guys think?

Edit: These were my first and second times at the strip, 2 months apart. My 60 foot times were in the 2.6-2.7 range, so I know I can do better, especially when I get new tires. This run didn't have the 60' recorded on it.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
...you pulled off a 2.6-2.7 60' time and a 98MPH trap? I call BS.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I did my own intake....same idea as yours, i replaced it with AEM later on be the DIY didnt fit as well as i liked it too

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
krystar said:
...you pulled off a 2.6-2.7 60' time and a 98MPH trap? I call BS.
I didn't believe it either, but that's what it says: 97.982 with a 2.? 60' (I think it was pretty low on that one, I'd have to double check). I'll post the slip as soon as I find a place to put it. I'm not sure if the altitude has anything to do with it because I run decent traps even without the corrections. I was getting some pretty good wheel spin off of most launches, but that one was more of a chirp as I got the clutch to feather pretty well.

MattType-S: I did several test fits in the car, so it doesn't come close to rubbing. The only thing that might be bad is if I'm cornering real hard, as it's only 1.5-2 inches from the tie rod.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
That trap is possible, the more I spin coming off the line the higher my tap is. If I nail a 2.0-2.1 60ft than my trap is a little lower.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
i'm just saying cause with 101MPH corrected trap, you'd be running 13.8's or at least 14flat. that's not JUST an intake you have then. and those guns on the list running 13.8's aren't doing 2.6-2.7 60's so something ain't matching up.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
Oh, I didn't see that 101. Yeah, that is a little far fetched.

·
Yes, thats my email.
3,212 Posts
The adjusted is an estimate, it doesnt mean hes saying that if he ran at sea level he would go that fast, just that he would go faster then he is now. Plus its not the kind of thread where someone would bother lieng, it just wouldnt make any sense.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
4,163 Posts
I'm not saying he is lying but a 101 is a hella trap for a 14.7.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The adjusted is an estimate, it doesnt mean hes saying that if he ran at sea level he would go that fast, just that he would go faster then he is now. Plus its not the kind of thread where someone would bother lieng, it just wouldnt make any sense.
Yes, it's just an estimate. The 97.98 trap was the actual speed. I was trying to convert the times to approximate sea level, because the air here (altitude and density) affects things greatly. There was an RSX-S with I/H/E and the Mugen ECU when I ran the baseline, and he only ran high 14s. The 101 isn't believable, but I included that because I included it for the baseline. The reason why I posted was because of the difference between the two- almost 6/10ths! I was wondering if other intakes had that big of a difference. I also took the average for my runs, both baseline and with the intake, and there was a 3-4/10ths average difference in time.

I just read up on how to attach an image. I'll post the slip when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
intake should make a diff even if it's a DIY. I bet you can manage a good .2-.3 on intake but yer case is a little "far fetched" hehe. you probably just learned how to drive better. that's a more reasonable explanation of the huge jump

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, here's the slip. I noticed it was one of the ones on Saturday that there was no 60' time recorded, just 1/8 and 1/4 mile, so 60' may have been better than the other times that I ran that did get recorded. Anyway, here's the slip (car #883):

Attachments

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
man that's interesting. how does a car do 97mph trap when everyone else is doing low 90's traps with just intake? monster factory lemon? :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
krystar said:
man that's interesting. how does a car do 97mph trap when everyone else is doing low 90's traps with just intake? monster factory lemon? :)
I have no idea. As previously stated, it's at a good altitude, but I don't know how that effects it. My baseline runs (with only K&N filter and Mobil 1 oil) were in the 91-93 range, but at 15.7-16.0 times. I didn't remove anything from the car on any of my runs (besides the Kleenex box, CD cases, sunglasses, and the owners manual). In fact, I had the spare, sub, jack, a big maglite flashlight, a quart of oil, and jumper cables in the trunk. I hope it's a monster factory lemon- that'd help me hit low 14s easier... :D

Anyway, it proved to me that the intake worked, as my best 3 runs on Saturday were all better than my best 3 baseline runs I did in December. Not too bad for $10+intake+many hours. The other nice part is that it retains the sleeper look, even if you pop the hood.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
you need to get on the top list for fastest N/A MPH if this keeps up hehe

·
Registered
515 Posts
there's 2 different ways a track can measure the mph and 1 way (not very common) causes the mph to be inflated by 2-3 mph. I know theres 1 in canada has an I/E gts trapping 102 mph at 13.9. I can pull off a 13.9 but I'd only be around 99mph. they like average the speed or something. it's not very accurate at all.

if you are getting 2.6 - 2.7 60' time sthen you need to DIY some better launches before any more mods. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
lucky_317 said:
there's 2 different ways a track can measure the mph and 1 way (not very common) causes the mph to be inflated by 2-3 mph. I know theres 1 in canada has an I/E gts trapping 102 mph at 13.9. I can pull off a 13.9 but I'd only be around 99mph. they like average the speed or something. it's not very accurate at all.

if you are getting 2.6 - 2.7 60' time sthen you need to DIY some better launches before any more mods. :)
The trap speed is measured by the average of the last 60 feet (at least at this track). I know my 60' times suck, but I'm on the stock tires still, and I didn't have the 60' time recorded on that run. There's also a lot of dust on the track, as the staging area is fine gravel. I'm still working on the best way to launch the car- I can do it on the street well, but haven't had much success on the track.

Edit: My next chance is in April, but the weather will probably be pretty warm then (between 80 and 100), with the density altitude sitting around 5000'+. That's gonna cause some real terrible times. I'm on my last 5000 miles on my tires, so I might have new ones this spring.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know it took me long enough, but here's a picture of the intake. As you can see, the shorty hose goes from the wheel well right towards the filter. I had swapped the intakes again on Monday, and what a difference it makes! It's not so noticeable on the top end, but the added torque in the midrange difinitely is. To sum up intake on a budget: cost $10 plus original intake and about 6 hours.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts