Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what the subject says....what tire/rim setup should I go with to run 13's?

So my choices are....

1-16x7 Rota Slipstream's 13.5lb's wrapped with 205/55/16 Falken Azeni Sport's
-Rota Slipstreams-These are the best rims for the 1/4mile for the price and the weight
-Falken Azeni Sports-These are the stickiest tires that would fit 16's to fit our car

2-17 inch Rota Subzero's 15lb's wrapped with 225/55/17 BFGoodrich G-Force Drag Radial's
-Rota Subzero's-These are the best 17inch rims for the 1/4mile for the price and weight
-BFGoodrich G-Force Drag Radials-These are the best drag radials out!

15 inch rims would be perfect but they dont fit with our brakes
16 inch rims are perfect but NOONE makes drag radials to fit 16's
17inch rims are perfect to fit drag radials but they would be heavy as hell! but it would be too heavy.

I'm going to keep going to the track till I run 13.9xx on the stock tires, but once I do that I want some better tires to go deeper into the 13's. Please let me know which setup I should go with, or if you know of a better setup, or if you know where I could get some 205/50/16 NITTO 555R's!!!!!?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Get some OZ superleggra's...light and strong.

Tires...Azeni's are proven track winners.

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
Stay away from 17"? I actually am going to test this theroy.. The 17" I have on order weight 13.5lbs.. I know that 16" lgith weights would be better, but how much could I possiby lose running lightweight 17"? I doubt it there would be a loss if I ran azenis on my stock 16" or the same on the 17" which weigh a lot less.. We will see.

·
Senior Pimp
929 Posts
pyropete said:
Stay away from 17"? I actually am going to test this theroy.. The 17" I have on order weight 13.5lbs.. I know that 16" lgith weights would be better, but how much could I possiby lose running lightweight 17"? I doubt it there would be a loss if I ran azenis on my stock 16" or the same on the 17" which weigh a lot less.. We will see.
sometimes it's not always about the weight. you ever tried riding a small bike and see how easy it is to pedal. then u hop on a big bike and see how harder it is to pedal? same theory for rims. i don't know scientifically if it's true, just something i heard. for the most part anyway, 16s i think are the best size for street drag. i myself are going to get the slipstreams and azenis tires too. it's great for auto-x, open track racing, and keeps your car accelerating optimal.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
what everyone said... ^ stay away from 17's if you want the best times.

Slipstreams definitly best bang for the buck... But i didn't get the azenis.. instead i got toyo t1-s.. i was able to pull a 2.2 60 ft with mad wheel hop (it was my first time and i suck at launching) So these tires do indeed grip pretty well, but imo is not the best bang for the buck cuz they cost so damn much!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
2.2 with lighter wheels and Sticky tires? I hit a 2.15 on stock tires @21 psi...

·
Oct '01 OG!
4,463 Posts
You have LSD. :slap:

Azenis sidewalls are too stiff if this is just for the 1/4.

Get the Nitto555R from victoriatire.com..

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well better luck this next Thursday (Come with us!!!!), We need another fast RSX there to represent...

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
That cannot be true about the 17".. There is a theroy, and as much as I could get out of it was a weight savings of 3.2xxxxxlbs on a one inch bigger rim than stock would actually be a faster setup.. Of course going to 18 from 16 would be more than a 3.2xxx to equal or surpass..

·
Senior Pimp
929 Posts
yeah i don't know for sure, just something i heard that's all.. and it made sense to me about the bicycles, but perhaps rims can be different i suppose.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
More weight further from the center is worse, always, even if the rims are the same weight. Also thee tire will have less sidewall, which is bad for dragging...

eric

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you ran a 14.08 in your current trim I dont think you need anything but to nail a launch in good weather and you should hit a 13.99. That .08 is so minute it could have been a head wind, extra weight or the right 60ft from keeping you out of the 13s on that pass. I think adding more parts will yield consistant 13s. I'll be adding similar mods to my Type S soon and hopefully I'll have similar results or close that's pretty damn impressive for a n/a 2.0 liter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts