Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im pretty sure its a common issue by now but im just making sure, ill get a rattle at around 2k rpm, at first i thought it was only under load but it makes the noise in neutral as well. From what i understand and from where the sound is coming from (front middle of the car) its probably the cat shield so itd be harmless. But id just want to be sure if anyone else had this sound and diagnosed it to be something else. Im gonna go custom exhaust eventually so as long as its harmless idrc for now.

Heres the noise:

Plus, are there any tips to stop grinding into reverse from dead stop, ill put it in 3rd first then reverse and it never happens, but when i go to do the suspension and drivetrain (lsd clutch flywheel) i was also gonna get the synchros redone, but besides that did anyone have any better luck with some different trans fluid or anything for a temp fix?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a heat shield over the half shaft that will vibrate at those RPMs. Mine made a high pitch screechy noise.
What did u end up doing just removing it? Any way you could point out where exactly that shields at for me from what ik there's a couple around there so id mess with that one first since its the most likely culrpit.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You can see it by looking down the backside of the engine from the passenger side. I positioned a piece of wood dowel on the end of the "bell" part and smacked it with a hammer. That deformed it enough to stop rattling. Here's a link to a thread with more info and a few pictures.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It could be two different heat shields making that rattle, it could also be the donut gasket that sits between your exhaust manifold and your cat.

First check your exhaust manifold heat shield, depending where you live those tend to get rusted around the bolts and eventually doesn't hold well anymore, you can just get a replacement or try to fix the mounting holes.

Second one is the intermediate shaft head shield, this one is located under your car, dead center between your front wheels, Just follow your passenger side half shaft till you hit the transmission, you can't miss it. The part looks like this: Honda 02-06 RSX Intermediate Shaft Heat Shield

The intermediate shaft heat shield has these mesh spacers that are built into the heatshield, I don't think you can replace these so you can just tighten the hell out of the bolts or use some metal washers under and over the mounting holes to create additional tension. Most people just take the shield off altogether and no real issues have been really reported as a result. I personally kept mine on and just tighten it every now and then when I do oil changes.It's located pretty close to the exhaust manifold so I'm sure there's some concerns for heat transferring over but I would also assume its there so random debris doesn't cover your intermediate shaft.

If you've never changed your donut gasket between your exhaust manifold this could also cause random noises from your cat jumping around a bit at the joint. It's a metal gasket and it flattens over time. I've only ever had to replace it once and I've got about 220k miles on my 03.

I would also just check your exhaust hangers and gaskets to make sure those are also in good working order

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It could be two different heat shields making that rattle, it could also be the donut gasket that sits between your exhaust manifold and your cat.

First check your exhaust manifold heat shield, depending where you live those tend to get rusted around the bolts and eventually doesn't hold well anymore, you can just get a replacement or try to fix the mounting holes.

Second one is the intermediate shaft head shield, this one is located under your car, dead center between your front wheels, Just follow your passenger side half shaft till you hit the transmission, you can't miss it. The part looks like this: Honda 02-06 RSX Intermediate Shaft Heat Shield

The intermediate shaft heat shield has these mesh spacers that are built into the heatshield, I don't think you can replace these so you can just tighten the hell out of the bolts or use some metal washers under and over the mounting holes to create additional tension. Most people just take the shield off altogether and no real issues have been really reported as a result. I personally kept mine on and just tighten it every now and then when I do oil changes.It's located pretty close to the exhaust manifold so I'm sure there's some concerns for heat transferring over but I would also assume its there so random debris doesn't cover your intermediate shaft.

If you've never changed your donut gasket between your exhaust manifold this could also cause random noises from your cat jumping around a bit at the joint. It's a metal gasket and it flattens over time. I've only ever had to replace it once and I've got about 220k miles on my 03.

I would also just check your exhaust hangers and gaskets to make sure those are also in good working order
Thank you much i actually diagnosed the issue to be that exhaust exit shield, ik it had to be some sort of shield or loose something by its rattle at a specific rpm like that, i thought itd be the cat shield originally i didn't even know there was a shield over the exhaust manifold exit, but after looking it would appear mines broken off halfway and very close to the pipe, it was either broken off by the previous owner or when it had its accident with the previous owner it broke off something like that, i was actually getting around to posting a video of it because I know its a common issue.

Heres the shield(s):

1 - 6 of 6 Posts