Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Ive been on this site for almost 10 years now, I figured Id give an update on my RSX journey. No crazy builds or big wings or anything, Im not into that, but I have definitely been on a journey with the RSX chassis.

I bought my first RSX in 2009. It was a 2002 Base 5 speed desert silver metallic. I made a lot of changes to the car (link to previous progress thread https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=674878)
but here is how she started vs ended when I sold her.

HPIM0962 by Dustin P, on Flickr

2012ish
7144075141_4bf65f1ed8_k by Dustin P, on Flickr

I loved my first RSX but I always wanted an S2000 and I couldnt afford both at the time so I sold it when I found an s2000. Fast forward about 4 years in 2017 and I had always wanted another RSX, and this one turned up. The only catch was it had a bad knock in the engine and was in pretty rough shape, but the price reflected the issues so I picked it up as a project.

The day I picked up RSX #2
A 2005 NHBP Type S.

IMG_2976 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Made it home from about 2hrs away
IMG_2979 by Dustin P, on Flickr

She was severely neglected and in very rough shape

IMG_2984 by Dustin P, on Flickr

First thing was first, figure out why the bottom end was knocking.

IMG_3028 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_3032 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_3044 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Found the problem! Had a spun rod bearing.

IMG_3070 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Tore the rest of the engine down to assess the damage

IMG_0028 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Determined the block was in great shape, so I replaced the crankshaft, and connecting rod, got all new bearings, new oil pump, new head gasket and probably some other things, cleaned everything up and started re-assembly.

IMG_0045 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_0056 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_0130 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_0137 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_0143 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Got it out of the garage for its maiden voyage around the block and washed the dust off.

IMG_0200 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Did a full detail inside and out, as well as refinished the wheels and probably some other things that I have forgot since then

IMG_0240 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_0300 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_0643 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_0365 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Then I drove it as a daily for probably 6 months, and I eventually lost interest in it as the body was rougher than I would have liked and it wasn't worth fixing all the dents and scratches it had. So I sold it and paid off some student loans. Here was how she looked when she sold in 2018.

IMG_1018 by Dustin P, on Flickr

So I eventually got my student loans paid off and finally paid down my newer car enough to sell it and get out of the car payment and I wanted a cheap-ish daily that I could drive to work but not be embarrassed to drive it when this one turned up.

I picked up this BOM 2006 RSX type s. It was a one owner car, but it did need some work as the exterior was prettey neglected.

The day I bought it

IMG_1820 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Dull looking paint, hazed headlights, the notorious leaking taillights, but nothing major needed.

B015A9F8-B7A1-445E-8174-332253E3323F by Dustin P, on Flickr

continued in next post...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got the windows tinted, removed the mud flaps, put new tail light gaskets in and cleaned all the water out of the taillights. Buffed the headlights out, and washed it to see what I was working with and eventually did a full paint correction to make the paint pop again (No specific order there :D).

IMG_1875 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1857 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1832 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1885 by Dustin P, on Flickr

I decided if I wanted to replace my newer car with this, that I at least had to add a back up camera (they are too convenient :eek:)

IMG_1860 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Vinyl wrapped the double DIN dash kit for a nicer finish

IMG_1862 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1868 by Dustin P, on Flickr

I wanted to keep the car looking as OEM as possible, so I designed a custom camera mount that attaches to the license plate light assembly which a) keeps me from drilling a hole in the bumper and b) positions the camera in a place that looks very oem.

IMG_1894 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1895 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1896 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1899 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1901 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Then just when I thought I had everything ready to go and was ready to make this car my daily, the super heavy clutch tweaked something in my foot and made it painful to drive the car (Im getting old I guess :laughing:), so I replaced the CMC and slave cylinder hoping that would resolve the issue, but unfortunately the problem was from dirt and grease/grime build up on the throw out bearing making it very hard to press the clutch. I still had the goal of making this car my daily, so I went ahead and bought a new exedy OE replacement clutch kit to put in while I was in there.

IMG_1915 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1916 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1917 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1924 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Here was the problem :mad:

IMG_1918 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Got the new clutch put in
IMG_1925 by Dustin P, on Flickr

New throw out bearing and cleaned out the bell housing

IMG_1928 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Polished the clutch release fork pivot points

IMG_1927 by Dustin P, on Flickr

Got her all back together and on the daily duty with a clutch that feels amazing!

IMG_1931 by Dustin P, on Flickr

continued in next post...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And here is how she sits now. I still have a few things I want to take care of (mainly refinishing the wheels) but she is now my daily driver and I no longer have a car payment! This is one good looking Dave car if I say so myself (Dave Ramsey reference).

IMG_1943 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1945 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1942 by Dustin P, on Flickr

IMG_1944 by Dustin P, on Flickr

So there's nothing too special here but I figured I'd document highlights from my journey for anyone who is interested! Eventually one day I want to turbo an RSX, but apparently my foot cant handle a heavy clutch anymore so who knows if that will ever happen!

follow me on the gram if you want to see updates (i follow back) @dpritch09

·
280 Posts
Awesome post dude I enjoyed reading about the progress. Keep up the great work! Just followed you on IG :hb:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Blazing Orange Metallic!!

I remember back in 05 when the updated Rsx came out. The first one I saw on the road was a BOM. I fell in love with it. I told myself, if I ever got an 05-06 it would be a BOM.

Good job on cleaning it up.

·
Registered
840 Posts
no offense but the black was better

·
Been Around for a while
991 Posts
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to detail everything. I especially like the camera mount, would be interested in one of those...

And never too old for manual!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks fellas. Im actually not that old (only 28) and my foot has recovered from whatever i did to it so all is well :thumbsup:

As far as the black one, it definitely looks better in the pictures than it looked in person. Literally every panel had a dent, all the bushings needed replaced, the ac system didn't work (and that's one of the few things I cant fix myself), a tree fell on the back of it so the hatch glass was aftermarket and was garbage quality and not installed perfectly straight on top of that, and the transmission needed 2nd and 3rd syncros. Plus it had about 30k more miles than the BOM one, so I might agree that NHBP in general looks better, but the black one I had was not nicer than the one owner BOM one that I have now.

I refinished the wheels a couple weeks ago and that made a huge difference. I'd like to get an OEM aspec lip kit for the front and rear, but the BOM has been discontinued for the front, so who knows if that will happen :dontknow:

Other than that I've just been rocking it as a daily driver and shes doing great!

·
I can get that for you
775 Posts
That’s what up! I just turned 29 son you young. 1 owner Rsx is the way to go ;) unless you buy it brand new and your the 1st owner. :eek: I got mine from 1st owner. Nice knowing it was never modded( what a nerd! )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
Great thread. I can appreciate the love for the rsx. I have had mine since new, 16+ years. What material did you make the mount out of?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts