1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Heads/Cam > Head/Cams
3,480 Posts
:dontknow: I still like reading how people modify and troubleshoot cars to make them go faster, whether it's already known to be an easily modded car or not.

·
Ex rsx vs all *********
5,330 Posts
Tarnation said:
:dontknow: I still like reading how people modify and troubleshoot cars to make them go faster, whether it's already known to be an easily modded car or not.
Okay try this one then. This is for the wrx owner who is really on the cheap. Gutted stock up pipe = $0.00, HKS downpipe $150.00, now the wrx is catless. Uni chip off ebay $275.00, now the car has engine management. You could run low 13's with that set up for a whopping $425 give or take a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
AWD RSX Killer said:
Okay try this one then. This is for the wrx owner who is really on the cheap. Gutted stock up pipe = $0.00, HKS downpipe $150.00, now the wrx is catless. Uni chip off ebay $275.00, now the car has engine management. You could run low 13's with that set up for a whopping $425 give or take a few bucks.
The one thing I don't really like about cars like these is the fact that they just seem to be cheap. Not bashing the cars, but making a car fast for a small amount of money doesn't usually add up in most cases and in the end it is just a poor man's way of doing things and doesn't seem quality.

·
Ex rsx vs all *********
5,330 Posts
hndacvcjosh said:
The one thing I don't really like about cars like these is the fact that they just seem to be cheap. Not bashing the cars, but making a car fast for a small amount of money doesn't usually add up in most cases and in the end it is just a poor man's way of doing things and doesn't seem quality.
Now if we want to do it right we get a UTEC for engine tuning for a grand. A nice new VF 34 turbo for 800 - 900. A sti upipe for around 250 a godspeed downpipe for around 300 and a nice catback for 600. Now we need new injectors for around 500 a new fuel pump $80 and fuel rails (not sure and too lazy to look for a price.) Also a new FMIC would be nice to cool this bad boy, 1K more. Now we are looking at $4030 and probbaly add around another 500 for this and that.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
AWD RSX Killer said:
Now if we want to do it right we get a UTEC for engine tuning for a grand. A nice new VF 34 turbo for 800 - 900. A sti upipe for around 250 a godspeed downpipe for around 300 and a nice catback for 600. Now we need new injectors for around 500 a new fuel pump $80 and fuel rails (not sure and too lazy to look for a price.) Also a new FMIC would be nice to cool this bad boy, 1K more. Now we are looking at $4030 and probbaly add around another 500 for this and that.
But most people go somewhere in the middle of those two extremes to create something that usually functions very well and does what it needs to efficiently.

·
The fixer
32,108 Posts
AWD RSX Killer said:
+ $26k for the WRX and you have a real steal there. :D

The great part about this story is that the ENTIRE cost was under $2000. I think that's great. I can't afford a second car to mod, and I like my warranty too much to mod my daily driver.

Right now I have the itch to buy this pair of Mitsubishi Starions sitting in Melbourne (30 minutes north) for $1000. Oh what fun that could be.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
bradleyland said:

The great part about this story is that the ENTIRE cost was under $2000. I think that's great. I can't afford a second car to mod, and I like my warranty too much to mod my daily driver.

Right now I have the itch to buy this pair of Mitsubishi Starions sitting in Melbourne (30 minutes north) for $1000. Oh what fun that could be.

26k for a wrx? You need to go shopping somewhere else.

·
Heads/Cam > Head/Cams
3,480 Posts
bradleyland said:

Sweet. That was one of my favorite cars when I was a kid. It was also the first turbo car I rode in. I'd love to have a Conquest/Starion, too, but I heard parts are hard to find. And watch out for those head gaskets. :nervous:

·
The fixer
32,108 Posts
hndacvcjosh said:
26k for a wrx? You need to go shopping somewhere else.
:p Sorry, $23k... errr... whatever. Did you get the point? :D

·
The fixer
32,108 Posts
Tarnation said:
Sweet. That was one of my favorite cars when I was a kid. It was also the first turbo car I rode in. I'd love to have a Conquest/Starion, too, but I heard parts are hard to find. And watch out for those head gaskets. :nervous:
Headgaskets. We don' need no stinking headgaskets!

Seriously though. I called the guy on the two in Melbourne once. Parts availability is basically why he's selling them. Someone once tried to tell me that they had some crossover parts with other DSMs, but I think that was a lie.

I missed out on a $500 XR4ti once too. My neighbor had an auto in pretty rough shape. I wanted to do some research since it was an auto, but by the time I came home from work with $500 in my hand, he had sold it. DOH! I really wish I had bought that car. A manual transmission can be sourced from any of the old Turbo T-birds or mustangs. The auto would hold up under a reasonable amount of power too. Oh well.

·
The fixer
32,108 Posts
:p

Similar engine:
http://msvorinich.itgo.com/

"I bought a video camera and have some video of FourBanger! Some of the video, I took myself with a self made "helmet cam". I'm working on getting a real mount built for my helmet so you can see how this car behaves when doing a burnout, staging, and making a 1/4 mile pass."

Self-made helmut cam. I like this guy's style! :D

·
The fixer
32,108 Posts
I can't stand it. My face hurts from laughing. What do you do if you're driving around Gainsville, FL and you hear this sound:

http://members.aol.com/hawk921538/soundfiles/blowoffs.wav

Coming from this car?

Well, unless you can pull better than a 12.39 @ 109 MPH, you drive away slowly and hope it doesn't embarass you :p :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TurboGTi said:
Nothing new.

DSM's go fast for cheap.
admit it ..thats pretty cheap..the price quoted includes the price of the car as well.

To the wrx guy....well the same thing..the price quoted on top includes the price of the car as well. Include price of wrx for lets say 24k ....hehehe..thats kind of a different ball game now..Invest 24k in that dsm...and I wouldnt be suprised if he broke 8s :eek:

·
Ex rsx vs all *********
5,330 Posts
SILVERSS said:
admit it ..thats pretty cheap..the price quoted includes the price of the car as well.

To the wrx guy....well the same thing..the price quoted on top includes the price of the car as well. Include price of wrx for lets say 24k ....hehehe..thats kind of a different ball game now..Invest 24k in that dsm...and I wouldnt be suprised if he broke 8s :eek:
I hear ya, factory F/I is a great thing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Is it me or does this add up to a little more than 1789....

500 for price of car
xxx cost of ecu
xxx cost of used 14b
xxx cost of passanger side axle
xxx cost of "tune up"
xxx cost of broken tail light
xxx cost of wiper blades and other miscellaneous
xxx cost of timing belt
xxx cost of water pump
xxx cost of 1 gal. fuel cell
xxx cost of walbro pump
3 autometer gauges(est.60 a piece)
autogage tach
MT drag slicks
Boost controller
Some kind of exhaust system

Plus the price of a tow to get it to the track

·
Banned
555 Posts
SILVERSS said:
I didn't disagree. I agree. But that is the case with 1st Gen DSM's. They can get real fast, real quick, for allmost no money.

·
Registered
89 Posts
AWD RSX Killer said:
Hey man, I heard that you can pull these "restrictor" type devices out of the stock WRX injectors and that will in essence make them capable of flowing 760cc's. From what I have read, they were 760cc injectors to begin with, and Subaru just put in these "caps" to bring them down to a more controlable level...even though from the guys I read that did this they said the 760s idled great. You read anything about this?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts