Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Im going to the track tomarrow and Im going to be running the nitto 555r drag radial. This is the discontinued size that i bought from somebody local and I already have them mounted on the rim and ready to go. Last time I went to the track I was running on some comp t/a all season tires. The best i could get ( i know i suck) was 2.4 60' and crossing the lines around 13.4-13.6 and trapping anywhere from 106-111 :eek: . So now Ive got these drag radials and Im going to hit 12's, but i just need a little help. The car has the power its just my sorry ass behind the wheel thats holding it up.

Whats the best way to run the dr's?? I mean stuff like air pressure, how long of a burnout do i need to do to heat them up properly, and whats a good rpm to launch at?? I know that each car is different, but just some good points to start at. Ive read that 1.9 60's are possible with these tires and that would be amazing to pull something like that. I would be deep into the 12's if that happened. Has anyone run 12's yet on a "street" tire (they are dot approved)? thanks for the help :spin:

· Skepticism Extraodinaire
1,522 Posts
Not true, a DR gets nice and sticky when heated up. I would spin them until they both smoke pretty good.

18-20 psi works the best for me at the rack.

If you try to launch with turbo it would probly spin with anything besides slicks. Sorry, don't know much about launching a turbo.

I practiced launches on the street with dif RPM's, if you can keep "most" of the wheelspin down on the street you be golden at the track.

good luck :)

· Registered
41 Posts
Trial and error buddy. I wouldnt take the drags any lower than 15 psi. Try at 20 psi, than more to 18, etc. For dr's to stick they need to be heated up. So burn out until you see smoke coming from both tires. The rpms are just like the psi question. I launch at 3000 rpms and get a good launch. BUT I drive a civic with less torque and hp. So try launching at 3500/4000 rpms and work from there. If your not getting traction, drop to a lower psi, and start the rpm test over again. It will just take some work to find a good launch point for you and the car. Hope that helps you a little.

· Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pointers. The thing that sucks is that there is no "feathering" involved with a ceramettalic clutch. Its either on or off. I have tried a little on the street, but there is no point. The tires have have on there (the s-03's) have been through 25k tough miles. So there is NO tread left on them. Im going to try again when i put the dr's on.

· Registered
1,161 Posts
I hit a 2.0 with the 555s at 11 psi. This was at the 1/8th mile though and I was not worried about trap speed.

Like Eddie said you DO want to burn out till you see smoke on both sides, get them nice and hot. Even still you will have a lot of trouble getting a hook up with as much power as you have. The biggest advantage I found with the DRs is consistency.

· TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
570 Posts
kracker said:
Thanks for the pointers. The thing that sucks is that there is no "feathering" involved with a ceramettalic clutch. Its either on or off. I have tried a little on the street, but there is no point. The tires have have on there (the s-03's) have been through 25k tough miles. So there is NO tread left on them. Im going to try again when i put the dr's on.
actually kracker my during my 13.2 run instead of dropping the clutch like i had intended too, my foot somewhat slipped and i ended up feathering the clutch or at least im pretty sure i did and for some reason since my tires were heated up they hooked and i was gone...i'ld like to say featherin would be possible, but then again im still kinda iffy as to what exactly happened when i had launched bc everything happened so fast...i hope i helped...

· The 1st-11 sec Rsx
261 Posts
You are still going to have to roll out at low rpm's and then put it to the floor. The tires are going to help give you better traction when shifting in every gear not just out of the hole. Which in return will lower you E.T..

Tim

· Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will (hopefully) be coming back home tonight with the 12.5-12.9 slip. I went last week to the 1/8 mile track with the dr's on. I was impressed. I still had a shitty 2.15 60', but ran 8.50's while trapping between 87.9-89.6. If i can get 8.50 at commerece then i KNOW that i will have 12's. The reason I didnt go last week to the 1/4 is because of fun ford hillbilly weekend....just a bunch of 9 second 5.0's. Either way if i WAS running mid 13's with a 9.30 then the difference alone between 9.30 and 8.5 will put me in the 12's. Hopefully mid 12's.

I wasnt heating them up like i should have been though. I would roll through the box and then did a long "dust off". I never seen smoke. So tonight I will heat em up till they do.

xcell...have you taken your car to the dyno yet?? We still should meet up one weekend. Or nopi. are you going to enter again this year? What rsx's placed in last years? I hope it wasnt that ugly ass yellow one. Im thinking that guy (who was featured in a magizine a few months ago) had to have placed. The guy im talking about had a black type-s, turboed, brembo, brides, veilside, volks, etc.

· Registered
41 Posts
Good luck. Like Inprogress2 said, try feathering the clutch instead of dumping it.

· The 1st-11 sec Rsx
261 Posts
kracker said:
I will (hopefully) be coming back home tonight with the 12.5-12.9 slip. I went last week to the 1/8 mile track with the dr's on. I was impressed. I still had a shitty 2.15 60', but ran 8.50's while trapping between 87.9-89.6. If i can get 8.50 at commerece then i KNOW that i will have 12's. The reason I didnt go last week to the 1/4 is because of fun ford hillbilly weekend....just a bunch of 9 second 5.0's. Either way if i WAS running mid 13's with a 9.30 then the difference alone between 9.30 and 8.5 will put me in the 12's. Hopefully mid 12's.

I wasnt heating them up like i should have been though. I would roll through the box and then did a long "dust off". I never seen smoke. So tonight I will heat em up till they do.

xcell...have you taken your car to the dyno yet?? We still should meet up one weekend. Or nopi. are you going to enter again this year? What rsx's placed in last years? I hope it wasnt that ugly ass yellow one. Im thinking that guy (who was featured in a magizine a few months ago) had to have placed. The guy im talking about had a black type-s, turboed, brembo, brides, veilside, volks, etc.

No dyno time yet. Will be going to rockingham dragway soon. Maybe we can meet at one of the import races there.

Tim

· Still tuning....
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
yeah heres some shitty results :jigglemad :

ME COBRA
R/T: .515.....................................................469
60': 2.378................................................... 2.216
330: 6.001................................................. 5.834
1/8: 8.847 @88.00...................................... 8.838 @80.35
1000: 11.245............................................. 11.416
1/4: 13.296 @ 109.74.................................. [email protected]

Thats one of my better runs. The reason i posted that up is because in the lane next to me was an 03 cobra :eek: . I figured I was dead, but I walked him down. It was great. Look at the difference in my mph in the 1/8 compared to his. If i could have run 8.50's in the 1/8 and got my 60's down that would have been into the 12's. Probley around 12.6-12.9. My best 60' was something horrible like 2.37...WTF? I cant seem to heat the tires up right. I lowered the pressure to around 20 and then 17. I got them wet in the box, but when i went to do my burnout it just hopped and didnt really stay in one place and burn em off. Im going to go back to the dyno and get the a/f right. Im running like 9:1-10:1 from 4300-5600...so I get that to around 11.5:1 and then i should be doing better. I will be running mid 12's by june. :driving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.