Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I Must Break You!
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you get 17's and have a little more speed, or do you go 18's and slow your car down? Tough choice...:dontknow:

·
28,750 Posts
The performance difference is minimal. Its not like its gonna turn your car into a stock civic. 17's are better for perf. but i'd take the 18s because of the look.

·
I Must Break You!
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crazy said:
The performance difference is minimal. Its not like its gonna turn your car into a stock civic. 17's are better for perf. but i'd take the 18s because of the look.
Is minimal performance difference like .1 seconds on 0-60 or like .5 seconds on 0-60. Just wondering.

·
I Must Break You!
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about acceleration when you're already moving? Could you notice the difference then?

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
Does gasoline usage also come into play? I heard that snow tires, as an example, use a tiny bit more gas. I'd guess this is the case for larger wheels as well? :dontknow:

·
I Must Break You!
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The snow tires thing is probably b/c of more rolling resistance since they are "Nubby" treads. What I want to know is; Wheel VS wheel w/ the same tires, whats the difference to performance?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Recently, I had to change back to my stock tires (from my 17" Toyo's) because of the snow. It's hard to compare the two because they're not the same tire, but I can tell you this:

- I noticed no significant change in gas mileage. It's true that stickier tires are suppose to decrease gas mileage, and moving the center of mass outwards isn't helping either... but the wheel diameter is still the same, relatively speaking. (Btw, my wheel combo is within 1 lb of the original wheel combo.)

- However, I did at first notice that my "sweet spot" on the clutch moved up a bit. ie. I needed to feather the clutch a hair longer than before to get it moving from stand still.

- Other than the above point, I noticed no change in full throttle acceleration other than the fact that the tires helped me launch much easier. The 16" "feels" a little quicker though... almost like more throttle response, but again, not significant. It's not like day/night difference. Some people might not even notice.

- BODY ROLL! I didn't notice this before, but the stock tires have really soft sidewalls! However, partly thanks to this, the ride is a little more comfortable. My 17"'s are a little bumpier. You can feel the imperfections of the road quite easily. (Even though the T1-S' are suppose to have one of the softest sidewalls, the profile of the tire is shorter --> less flexing... The tire in question and tire pressure also has something to do with this.)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'll admit 18's look better, but I'm going lightweight 17's b/c i want to keep it more performance oriented. I'm even going to keep the stock wheels on the side with some new tires so I can swap them on if I want to really catch people off guard.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Soulfly said:
I say get 18s for everyday driving, if you go to the track throw on stockies or light weight 17s
thats what i do. its not a problem. i put the stockies back on for winter too.

·
DC5 to AP2
2,421 Posts
EternalBlue said:
Does gasoline usage also come into play? I heard that snow tires, as an example, use a tiny bit more gas. I'd guess this is the case for larger wheels as well? :dontknow:
Yes. Rotating weight is very expensive in terms of its effect on the car.

·
aka NoMoney
230 Posts
just to add with 18's and low profile tires you gotta be real careful with road conditions...any serious bangs over 30mph (potholes, dips, etc) will dent your rims. Not to say that won't happen with 17's but the less tire you got the riskier it gets

·
What are you made of...
22,074 Posts
18s are mainly for look... performance would be 17s cause the tires will spin quicker. A buddy of mine uses 17s for everyday driving and when he goes to the track he uses 14s and it makes a difference...

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
I went with 18's....they look much better...and with my turbo I don't think I'm really going to notice the difference in acceleration in every day driving :spin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
if ur moving up from 16's the only thing 18's will affect is the weight. Essentially the overall circumference of the TIRE will stay the same becuase while you are increasing the rim size, you are decreasing the side wall height. So there isnt more wheel to turn, just more weight. And yes a good set of lightweight 17's will perform better than 18's. When racing drag/road racing/autoxing (unless you have a big brake kit) get the smallest wheels possible because they always perform better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts