Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dyno yesterday with a couple of my friends. They went to tune out a DC2 Type R. I had just put on the CAI like two weeeks ago. The guy with the DC2 was running late, so I just said I would take two runs to see where I am at.
Lo and behold I got 182 with the first run in 3rd gear and 189 in 4th. I was very surprised. I had expected maybe 179. I never made this kind of piower with my old R, and I did almost everything to that. Anyway my friend who own a garage said maybe the reason 4th did better was because the car had warmed up, so I said I would go again.
BAM! 3rd got 185.7/130 and 4th got 191.1/135.2!
I couldnt belive it. Cause I only have the Injen CAI. I havent even taken the Cat. out yet. I dont have a scanner at home but when i get to work monday i am goin to scan in the sheets and post up here.
Anyway I have another guy who ordered a 2004 Type R , and has alot of little goodies coming with it. Comptech race header, mugen ecu, greddy evo, and his Injen CAI. He has to do a couple weeks loosening up so I am going to borrow the stuff and dyno again.
The bug has hit me again. I never thought this car would make me feel this good again. after the last type r i figured this car was gonna be tame. I didnt expect much difference between the type s either.
Anyway I have to thank INJEN. because we have freind with the AEM CAI (not V2) and he only made 176 or something.
So all I have to say is - Thank you INJEN! and thank you CLUBRSX for giving me so much info on all these mods.

By the way, what do the Type S make with just CAI. Just curious to see how much difference type r mods make.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, what does everyone dyno their car in?
3rd gear or 4th. I ask because I used to dyno my old DC2 R in 3rd 'cause it made the most Hp, but it looks like the 6sp gear box and shorter ratios make 4th gear the right gear to dyno in with the DC5 R.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
To me those numbers seem average at best for a K20A:dontknow: Id imagine with the race header/exhaust/and ecu you will be well over 200whp.

BTW your injen isn't any better then the aem. Power wise anyway. Every car is different. I have been on the dyno twice. Both times I put 176whp, but I run with cars that are putting 195whp:D

·
Registered
757 Posts
did you dyno your car before the cai? you should compare the before and after dyno rather than the amount you got with the cai... you can better see the difference this way... dynos should be used to see hp gained not exactly just to see who has the most hp... ive seen stock type s dynos range from 150 at the worst to 175 at the best... nice numbers... would love to see the before and after though...

good gains :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really hope I can break the 200 mark as easily as you say.
Infortunately I didnt dyno the car before, but we compared it with a stock type r that had been on the dyno previously and the increase was about 10whp and whoole lot of torque (i think around 20)but I cant remember properly. I will go back and check out the actual numbers properly.

Let me clarify soemthing though, I didnt expect any good gains really cause I have had horrible luck when it comes to getting power to the ground. My previous r i had gained as little as 20whp with stage3 cams, intake, high compression pistons, valve springs, header, exhaust, etc.
eventually I just got fed up and sold it, I enjoyed the car but it sort of killed the power craze. So when I got the new R, i really have just been taking it as a more refined car with a little sportiness to it. But now, after seeing such impressive gains, I see how the new engine takes mods very well. So I know I have a lot more confidence now in buying mods.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apexitypes: I havent seen any dyno's of a type r with just a CAI. Do you know where I could see one. When you say the numbers are 'average at best', are you saying other R's are making more? :(

·
Registered
715 Posts
thats very nice to hear that u got 191 . arent u guys scared of hydrolockin?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
TypeRus said:
apexitypes: I havent seen any dyno's of a type r with just a CAI. Do you know where I could see one. When you say the numbers are 'average at best', are you saying other R's are making more? :(
JDM type r dyno's are few and far between, but yes, I have seeing some other dynos......Try searching for the name "itsstockofficer". He has a K20A in his rsx and was putting 230whp with the simple bolt ons.

I wouldn't worry if your numbers are lower then average (if they are). Like I said, Im only putting 176whp with Intake/Exhaust/Hondata........But I run with (usually beat) other Hondata rsx's. Dyno's are best used for measuring hp increases.

You'll find that the K20's respond excellent to mods. 200whp for a K20A is nothing. Put that race header on with an exhaust and youll be over 200whp easily.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
They have a dyno in Jamaica??? j/k.

That does seem kinda average for an R. Maybe the gains for the K20A aren't are proportionally large as the K20A2. I've seen S's come close to that (I remember one on here somewhere that hit 187).

I just swapped my AEM SRI for an Injen CAI, and I'm interested in getting back on a dyno. I might make my first 1/4 pass this wednesday. Then a dyno, call that a baseline (effectively just intake/exhaust, and nitto 555's on the front) then it's playtime with the rather large amount of cash I have accumulated.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Sacrifice said:
They have a dyno in Jamaica??? j/k.

That does seem kinda average for an R. Maybe the gains for the K20A aren't are proportionally large as the K20A2. I've seen S's come close to that (I remember one on here somewhere that hit 187).

I just swapped my AEM SRI for an Injen CAI, and I'm interested in getting back on a dyno. I might make my first 1/4 pass this wednesday. Then a dyno, call that a baseline (effectively just intake/exhaust, and nitto 555's on the front) then it's playtime with the rather large amount of cash I have accumulated.
I don't know how long your willing to wait, but Ill let you in on a little something not many people in south Flrodia know about yet......Plans for another "dyno day" are in the works at a shop in west palm. Were hoping to get 10 dollar pulls again. Also, maybe even a d-j that shows up, and of course, some food......

Oh yea, and some good deals on some parts.....May be a good way to start spending that cash.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
Ooh....where? That's MY neighborhood.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Ill give you details when I know all of them. Hopefully we can get an even bigger turn out then the cybernation meet.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no idea how to post up pictures.
but I have the scanned dyno sheets.
I could e-mail them to you, if you could post them up here for me.
Just send an e-mail to
[email protected]
and I will reply with the scans.

SACRIFICE: Yeah, Jamaica isnt as 3rd world as it seems. We have 2 dyno's here. a 4 wheel dyno and the other is a 2 wheel dyno.

I went to the track yesterday (unofficial-no times) and my freind beat a couple of the DC2 R's. I was very pleased, cause they had all the bolts-ons/ 15" rims and whatever and I only ha the CAI.
Everyone down here thinks the older DC2 R is faster than the DC5R, but it was nice to prove them wrong with just the intake. Oh and my freind beat an older Subaru WRX STi as well. In case you were wondering, our track is an old landing strip and its concrete, adn I couldn't get the launches right, so my freind who races out there all the time had to take over. I guess I need alot more practise. Its hard to race on concrete, without some grip on the 60 foot. :(
Thank god, someone just built a new track to drag racing standards, with asphalt and a sticky 60 foot. I cant wait to see what the car can do on that. I hear people are basically cutting a whole second off their times. And if DC2 R could 14.1 all day, and the DC5 R beat the DC2 R yesterday, I think I will be able to hit the 13's easilly on the new good 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dyno sheets are uploaded on the imagestation link in my sig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts