Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always heard that RPM's are what kill an engine, but are RPM's in a specific gear more damaging than others. For example, if I hit 7K RPM in First gear and 7K RPMs in Second. Is either one more damaging than the other? I know this may be a trivial post, but I've asked a few mechanics and have gotten different answers.

Does Manual Trans. vs. SS make a difference as well?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't think that any specific gear would make a difference since the crank is revolving at the same rate either way. 7K RPMs = 7K RPMs = 7K RPMs you know?

As far as MT vs SS, same thing. On the same engine, whatever RPMs you hit with a MT will do the same thing as the same RPMs with a SS.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
Different loads on the crank though. The less load on the crank the better I would think, but I doubt difference in gear ratios really make a difference. Say like the difference between a type S first gear ratio and say a ford fukus first gear ratio shoudn't make a difference.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RSX-CT said:
Different loads on the crank though. The less load on the crank the better I would think, but I doubt difference in gear ratios really make a difference. Say like the difference between a type S first gear ratio and say a ford fukus first gear ratio shoudn't make a difference.
Yea, that is sort of what the one mechanic was saying. He was equating it to the torque curve across the gearing and how at higher gears the rpm's had a lesser "damaging" effect because there was less unsprung mass or something. But I'm not even close to being a "gear head" so it really didn't make sense to me.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
1acura said:
Yea, that is sort of what the one mechanic was saying. He was equating it to the torque curve across the gearing and how at higher gears the rpm's had a lesser "damaging" effect because there was less unsprung mass or something. But I'm not even close to being a "gear head" so it really didn't make sense to me.
Don't worry about being a gear head or not, think of the physics behind it. Think about riding a mountain/road bike and the load (resistence)against your legs in different gears. Same deal. ie: If you are too high in gears you might push yourself too hard uphill and pull a hamstring. In lower gear you'll be able to do the same with less effort at the sacrifice of speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts