Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but if I'm rolling in neutral, and then shift into first, with the clutch pedal supressed the whole time, the second I shift into first I can hear a bit of gear whine (rolling down a hill, so access gear whine). Is this normal? I thought until the clutch was let out, the gears weren't active. This could be a misunderstanding by me completely however.

Just making sure my throw out bearing isn't going bad. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys apologies,

Bumping this because I have the same problem. I have difficulty shifting and adjust the clutch pedal to give more "throw," but then the whining problem gets more noticeable and my clutch pedal is higher up than my brake pedal. I prefer to have the clutch engage pretty close to the floor.

At a stop, when I put the car in first if I can hear a faint sound when the push the pedal all the way to the floor. It sounds "rotational," similar to how it sounds when you are machining something on a lathe or something. Not really high pitched though. What could this be?

I think I'm going to do a trans fluid change and replace the clutch master and slave cylinders. My car is an 03 type S.

Would anyone in the raleigh area be willing to have a listen?

·
06 RSX-S
32 Posts
I have a similar problem with mine. Just did the CMC and CSC and still got the whine in 1st and 2nd. It was suggested to me that the throw out bearing is the cause. I'm going to do my clutch next weekend so hopefully that will take care of it. It's my first time dropping the tranny so wish me luck! :x:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good luck. My understanding is that if there is a problem with the throwout bearing you would hear the noise when the clutch is engaged (pedal up).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a similar problem with mine. Just did the CMC and CSC and still got the whine in 1st and 2nd. It was suggested to me that the throw out bearing is the cause. I'm going to do my clutch next weekend so hopefully that will take care of it. It's my first time dropping the tranny so wish me luck! :x:
What did you find?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts