Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The GREG
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to thank DJ Mayo, David Fermani, and Barry Theal for their ideas and thoughts on this detail.

I got an email from the owner and said his Audi had some mold. I have done some light mold work before and wasn't too worried about it :cool1: I decided to go check out the car to put together a more exact estimate. This Audi had a leak coming from the firewall, causing the drivers side floor to be soaked. It was put away in a garage for about 4 months or so for the winter.
So what does 4 months of wet car interior look like...:sick1:

After some discussion, and research, I decided to use an Enzyme Mold Cleaner called sporicidin. I knew this would be a two day project. I suited up, using a mask, gloves, long sleeve shirt tucked into the glove, and some old pants. I was going to throw away everything I was wearing so I looked like pretty silly :)

I diluted it in a bucket, and in a spray bottle. Not wanting the mold to get airborne I sprayed everything down with the sporicidin mixture and let it sit for a few minutes. Even after just spraying I saw a huge improvement. I was concerned about pitting on the leather but fortunately the mold wasn't on there long enough to pit the leather. I then continued to go over the entire interior with towels from the buckets rinsing after about every square foot or so, I wanted to remove it not spread it around.

Even though I was using the sporicidin I decided to break out the steamer to assist in the mold killing. I have a Polti 2085 steamer that is absolutely amazing at producing steam, I don't know what I would have done without it. I steamed the carpets and lightly hit the seams of the leather. The air ducts were steamed also.

·
The GREG
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After Day 1 I went back to finish up. After setting up a mini dehumidifier all night I got about a quart of water. I included the cost of this in the detail and left it with the owner to ensure that the entire car got dry. He will be using it daily until no more water appears.

All of the leather was then cleaned and conditioned using Lexol. I decided to use the Lexol instead of Leathurique due to time. Any plastic was dressed using Optimum Protectant Plus.

Thanks for looking as always Greg :D

·
The GREG
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have taken a match to my car if it ever looked like that. Mad skills to turn it around like that. Amazing work..... :thumbsup:
:rotfl:...It really wasn't as bad a job as it looks...I would do a mold removal again anyday! :thumbsup:

Nice job. I thought you were going to replace the interior :p
I did see the rim of the steering wheel isn't two tone colors anymore :p

·
CRSX> Homework
2,484 Posts
wtf happened to that car!!??

but very nice work to turn it around :thumbsup:

·
11,750rpm+8,600rpm= FUN
1,056 Posts
gawd damn... its like picking the corn out of a turd, polishing it and encasing it with gold and diamonds... skills son, skills.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.