Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just replaced the battery on my 2002 rsx base model. This was after having starting issues and having the battery tested to reveal a bad battery at advanced auto parts. The battery was replaced about 7-10 days ago and still have had intermittent issues starting the car. had the battery and alternator checked at auto zone and they said the battery was fine as was the alternator. Fast forward to this afternoon on the way to a dr's appointment. On the last day of a 3 day set of days off. car was not driven yesterday. Went to start at 4 this afternoon and it barely started. took maybe 5-10 seconds of turning the key with a slow sounding crank to get it to start. may have stopped and re turned the key i don't know. finally started and had no issues after. started like a top after my dr's appointment and after i left the grocery store on the way home. this is usually the case. trouble starting for the first time of the day then it's ok. has not been very cold. maybe high 30's at night and 40's and 50's during the day..normal seattle weather for this time. anyone have any idea what could be going on? on a very limited budget at the moment, so kinda freaking out.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Cheap aftermarket starter or battery? I have to hold my key for like 1-5 seconds or more before it cranks. I put on the charger and it fires right up. Almost like too much draw. I added a second ground to see if that would help--it didn't. Check your ground wires. I even swapped a starter relay just to be sure and that didn't help. I'm thinking the cheap starter may be to blame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my battery was from walmart. have never replace the starter before so unsure of the quality. as i said though had my new battery tested and its apparently good. also had my gf's battery on her 2006 sequoia replaced with a cheaper walmart battery and no issues there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So it never did This before? Just happened after changing the battery? Are you sure you didn’t put the battery backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
For me it's just a battery drain that I can't find. It takes down that initial battery charge enough to slow the process. It sucks because I've unplugged every fuse and relay. It's the cluster fuse, security radio etc. I unplug the cluster it's fine, I swap in a known good cluster and it's bad. I unplug every item in the schematic, including non related ecm and possibly related relay's and it doesn't help. I even got a new multiplex, no luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts