Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team DC5! My base ‘02 struggles to accelerate when I floor it, I’ve recently replaced the alternator, radiator, drive belt and pulley, fuel pump, water pump and new battery. I can’t seem to get the power I want out of her. I’ve replaced the VTEC gasket before but I’m not sure why she’s acting up. I have to let off the gas because it feels like it’s bouncing. Could it be the transmission? Dirty intake? Please help. It’s not a racer but I’ve been trying to restore it to stock. Swapped out beige leather interior for black mesh. Miami, FL.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yeah, the base is pretty pathetic. I did once beat an '18-or-so Impreza in my auto when the slow dickhead decided he didn't want to be overtaken, but still... the only sense of achievement I felt there was him hopefully regretting his purchase for being slower than an old Honda.

But if you know you're just really bogging, have you checked your plugs? Personally, I only go with the OEM-spec NGKs that are supposed to be good for 100k miles. Bad plugs will mess with economy and power. At almost 300k miles, my original coils seem fine, but I could see those causing similar issues and I have heard of them going out. Clean intake filter? Are your valves ticking from the lash being out of adjustment? Maybe your cat's fucked and is restricting flow, but I assume that would throw a code. Have you done a compression test? If your VTEC system had a problem, you'd be cut off at just shy of 4k RPM, so that's probably not your issue. Hard to diagnose car trouble over the internet, sorry...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts