Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 02 automatic RSX base model has a spec d cat back with a magnaflow high flow cat so far I replaced the spark plugs with the proper NGK ones And gapped them. About 2 months ago. I also change my oil every 5k with Mobil one 5w20 I notice it’s been eating a lot of gas and shaky at idle sometimes also have new air filter and get gas at Sunoco what can I do to diagnose and fix?

·
Past Driver’s Ed
604 Posts
I would start checking first at the throttle body area. You may have something as easy as a vacuum leak. Also you can reference the service manual which you can download free off the web.

·
iVTEC4LIFE
2006 RSX Type-S
502 Posts
You replaced your cat bcuz? The old one failed? Or you wanted the hi flo unit?

It's a stretch but it could be your car doesn't like that cat. The hiflo cat will not "clean" as much 02 out of the exhaust as the OEM cat so your O2 readings will be different and/or it will mess up your sensor. A bad O2 sensor will cause the issues you're having a well. The ECU thinks the car is running lean, so it dumps fuel into the system to save the motor. You get really bad fuel economy and, since the ecu isn't getting the O2 data it wants, you get bad acceleration and bad performance.
Downstream O2 sensors are the cheaper of the two sensors, so I'd pick up a new one and run that.
You may also try an angled O2 adapter AND/OR the new mini cats for the sensor.
It's what I ran on my race header before I got the K-Tuner. It kept the CEL away in that application but it might also help you in yours IF the sensor is indeed the issue by "adding" another "cat" between the actual exhaust and the sensor. In this way you'll "trick" the ecu into thinking everything is a-okay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts