Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 RSX-S with 107k and when I'm driving normal switch gears at around 3500-4000 there is a 1/2 sec minor sputter and loss of power...from 1st-2nd 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th only. During WOT it runs perfect. I changed the plugs to oem ngk iridiums, oil change at acura, tranny flush at acura. I also have a 2.5 catback, k&n typhoon intake. Sputtering was occuring before mods too. It happens when its cold and at NOT. I also reset my ecu after mods and still sputters. Could it be my ignition coils going bad? Or my fuel filter dirty in the pump? I do notice a back fire when comming down from high rpm only sometimes though. There are no CELs. During WOT it runs good only while shifting at normal speeds I feel/hear a sputter and what seems like a slight clutch slip... Any help would be appreciated.

·
Word
420 Posts
sounds like your clutch might be going out.

and @ 107k are you still using the oem clutch? maybe it needs replacing now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would it cause the engine to sound like its misfiring slightly? Im sure its the original oem clutch. The tranny oil looked like it was never changed either...it was BLACK. So I replaced it with HONDA MTF. Plugs were original DENSO IRIDIUMS so I changed to NGK iridiums IFR7G-11KS.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone know what it could be? slight exhaust sputter and slight lag when after shifting gears 1-4. WOT it runs smooth.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would definitely recommend replacing your clutch, it just makes shifting in general more pleasant.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You could be running rich, but looking at your mods I see no reason for the car to be doing that. My car did what you are describing when i went back to my stock exhaust, but I have kpro so i fixed it.

·
BECAUSE! racecar...
4,220 Posts
Exhaust leak maybe

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
it could be a whole bunch of problems from clutch, fuel, spark plugs
O2 sensor.. it'd be best to have someone take a look at it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
took it to acura they didnt find anything wrong with the car...could be clutch...idk..i have no cel so i dont think its the o2s

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also notice a sputter in low rpm when the motor is cold. Less sputtering in low rpm when warmed up but slightly noticeable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts