Registered
2002 Acura RSX Type-S K24a2 Swapped
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Details about the car that i think is worth mentioning-
its has a Rbc intake manifold
Dc sports long tube headers
and a HKS hi power catback exhaust.
stock fuel injectors (270cc)

Bought the car a while back with it only needing a new engine harness and ecu. I got a kpro and made sure the engine harness was in good order to be able to start it to the best of my agility. for some reason however it does not want to start and i dont know why. it has fuel, spark, compression is good. could it be the tune im using in kmanger? i have been using the stock calibration that they provide on the software but nothing works. just cranks and makes a few pops from the exhaust. im still learning as this is my introduction to building and maintaining a car so any help or direction would be much appreciated.
I did message the seller about some details and he mentioned i should have a tune that is a "k24a2 flashed over k20a2 sensors" ? not too sure what he means by this...
if anyone needs extra details ill do my best to provide them with anything it may be... she has been sitting for half a year now, i just want it to start up and run haha. thank you馃槄

Super Moderator
The first thing that comes to mind is the immobilizer. The ECU and immobilizer need to match, and then the key to the immobilizer. You can also disable it in Kpro.
The other thing that comes to mind is the map sensor. If you鈥檙e using the factory tb, the map sensor won鈥檛 read anything. The rbc requires a tb adapter or the map sensor needs to be relocated to the manifold. You鈥檙e going to want to get new injectors eventually, 270 cc won鈥檛 cut it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing that comes to mind is the immobilizer. The ECU and immobilizer need to match, and then the key to the immobilizer. You can also disable it in Kpro.
The other thing that comes to mind is the map sensor. If you鈥檙e using the factory tb, the map sensor won鈥檛 read anything. The rbc requires a tb adapter or the map sensor needs to be relocated to the manifold. You鈥檙e going to want to get new injectors eventually, 270 cc won鈥檛 cut it.
i have disabled the immobilizer, that was the first thing i thought it was too, but i did make sure it was turned off in the kpro. ill do some research on what you mentioned about the map sensor and seeing if i can locate it. we do have a ktuned 70mm TB on there, does that change things? and as for the fuel injectors, i do have a set of 1000cc waiting to be put in when it gets running.

Registered
02 Rsx Base converted to manual k24a2
So you bought the car with the K24 in it already, just missing ecu and harness?
When swapping in a K24 you will need to use a k20a2 crank position sensor. Which calibration are you using exactly? What's the name of it in kpro?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So you bought the car with the K24 in it already, just missing ecu and harness?

When swapping in a K24 you will need to use a k20a2 crank position sensor. Which calibration are you using exactly? What's the name of it in kpro?
so it actually had the engine harness but the previous owner recommended i get a new one because he did do some of the wiring himself. i pulled it out however, fixed some parts that looked a bit worse for wear and put everything back in with the new ecu i got.

as for the cam position sensor, am i able to pull one out of any k20a2 engine, or any k20 engine for that matter. one from a junkyard for example? will it still work if i just replace it?

for the calibrations im using in kmanger with the kpro, i have tried as follows.
Vehicle type: RSX (Type-S) - PRB
Calibration: K20a2-rsx-stock.kal

Vehicle type: Other Vehicles
Calibration: k24-accord-stock.kal (only tried this one because it matches the fuel injectors i currently have installed, 270cc)

To add to the other question about the map sensor above, there is a denso map sensor with the part number 079800-5410. is this one compatible with the rbc intake and ktuned TB, or will it not read anything?

Registered
so it actually had the engine harness but the previous owner recommended i get a new one because he did do some of the wiring himself. i pulled it out however, fixed some parts that looked a bit worse for wear and put everything back in with the new ecu i got.

as for the cam position sensor, am i able to pull one out of any k20a2 engine, or any k20 engine for that matter. one from a junkyard for example? will it still work if i just replace it?

for the calibrations im using in kmanger with the kpro, i have tried as follows.
Vehicle type: RSX (Type-S) - PRB
Calibration: K20a2-rsx-stock.kal

Vehicle type: Other Vehicles
Calibration: k24-accord-stock.kal (only tried this one because it matches the fuel injectors i currently have installed, 270cc)

To add to the other question about the map sensor above, there is a denso map sensor with the part number 079800-5410. is this one compatible with the rbc intake and ktuned TB, or will it not read anything?
Did the engine start with the old harness in it? If it did, I would use that one and repair it, especially if it's a k20a2 engine harness. It will make things much easier.

Use the K20a2 crank sensor.

As for the calibration: Other vehicles- k24a2 out of the TSX (it has the same injectors)

The map sensors, I honestly forget. I thought they were all the same small 90 degree one. I have mine on the throttle body, but I'm using the K20a2 throttle body.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the engine start with the old harness in it? If it did, I would use that one and repair it, especially if it's a k20a2 engine harness. It will make things much easier.

Use the K20a2 cam sensor.

As for the calibration: Other vehicles- k24a2 out of the TSX (it has the same injectors)

The map sensors, I honestly forget. I thought they were all the same small 90 degree one. I have mine on the throttle body, but I'm using the K20a2 throttle body.
He said it did start before with the old harness, it is a k20 engine harness so that is what has me so stumped on why it isn't working now.
I'll try that calibration when I have the time later today, and if it doesn't work I'll proceed and try to find a k20a2 cam sensor and replace my current one.

Registered
He said it did start before with the old harness, it is a k20 engine harness so that is what has me so stumped on why it isn't working now.
I'll try that calibration when I have the time later today, and if it doesn't work I'll proceed and try to find a k20a2 cam sensor and replace my current one.
Be sure to check your current crank sensor to make sure it's not already a k20a2 one.

Regarding the new engine harness, you said that's a k20a2 or z1? The pin differences at the ecu plug will need to be modified if it is the 05+ or z1 engine harness.

Registered
Just to be sure, as far as your sensor, it's the crank sensor that should be a k20a2 one, not talking about the cam sensor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to be sure, as far as your sensor, it's the crank sensor that should be a k20a2 one, not talking about the cam sensor.
Will do! I'll look into the crank sensor in a little while and make sure it's the right one. As for the engine harness, it's from the engine that was in it prior, so k20a2 from a 2002 acura rsx type s is what the harness is off of.
Thank you for all your insights and help, it is much appreciated!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
okay so did some inspecting. i pulled out the crank sensor and it for sure looks like a k20a2 crank sensor, did some cross referencing and it looks like this one from here. Honda K-Series Crank Position Sensor - So i am pretty sure that is good.
i tried the calibration that you told me to use and still not much going on. i do hear clicking now coming from my glove box near the ecu when trying to start the car, im not sure what that is. might be because the battery is getting low, ill need to charge it and see if that changes anything.
one question however, even when i turn off the immobilizer, the green key light on the dash continues to flash. is that normal even when i have it disabled in kpro? is it really disabled?
if you have anymore suggestions it would be much help. im starting to grow grey hairs trying to figure this out 馃槄
thank you...

Registered
okay so did some inspecting. i pulled out the crank sensor and it for sure looks like a k20a2 crank sensor, did some cross referencing and it looks like this one from here. Honda K-Series Crank Position Sensor - So i am pretty sure that is good.
i tried the calibration that you told me to use and still not much going on. i do hear clicking now coming from my glove box near the ecu when trying to start the car, im not sure what that is. might be because the battery is getting low, ill need to charge it and see if that changes anything.
one question however, even when i turn off the immobilizer, the green key light on the dash continues to flash. is that normal even when i have it disabled in kpro? is it really disabled?
if you have anymore suggestions it would be much help. im starting to grow grey hairs trying to figure this out 馃槄
thank you...
I'm pretty sure you have all that you need to get it started. When I first did my swap, I had to do a lot of troubleshooting and found out my dash harness was not properly connected. I did a manual conversion though.

If you disabled the immobilizer, I'm pretty sure the light still blinks.

Have you done a thorough inspection on all the plugs/wires for damage? Are all grounds properly connected?

You mentioned buying kpro, is this an 02-04 Kpro? the 05-06 won't work on a k24 without the proper harness adapter. Just trying to eliminate things.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm pretty sure you have all that you need to get it started. When I first did my swap, I had to do a lot of troubleshooting and found out my dash harness was not properly connected. I did a manual conversion though.

If you disabled the immobilizer, I'm pretty sure the light still blinks.

Have you done a thorough inspection on all the plugs/wires for damage? Are all grounds properly connected?

You mentioned buying kpro, is this an 02-04 Kpro? the 05-06 won't work on a k24 without the proper harness adapter. Just trying to eliminate things.
I'll have to go through the wires and plugs throughly again and check if anything seems to jump out at me but I'm pretty sure they were all good. As for the grounds, I am honestly not too sure where they are besides the one one the valve cover in front of the fuel injectors. I'll do some research on where the other ones are. ( still learning haha )

As for the kpro I pulled the ecu from a 2003 crv in a junkyard and sent it in to them via a mechanics shop. They did make sure it was compatible with my car before taking my money however. You can tell me if they lied to me though hahaha.

I do have a 2003 rsx type s engine harness that is a spare that I can try as well. I also have a tucked engine harness from TRC but it has some plugs that I have to change and I'm not too sure how to do so.

I have a free day tomorrow so I'll take out my harness, inspect the plugs, wires, and grounds and maybe even put in the spare harness to see if that works.

Registered
[/QUOTE]

From my understanding, the only ecu that would work for this set up is a kpro ecu from an 02-04 Rsx. A CRV from the junk yard will most likely have a stock ecu. Even if you kpro it, I don't believe the pins in the engine harness line up correctly. I'm sure it can be connected but as far as getting your car to start, I don't believe it would work.

I hope someone else can chime in.

Normally for a K24a2 to work in an 02-04 Rsx, you need a 02-04 RSX Hondata modified ecu (kpro); 02-04 Rsx engine harness; 02-04 Rsx-s crank sensor; Crv passenger side motor mount/bracket; all the Rsx accessories (alternator, water pump, ac compressor, power steering pump).

Maybe the thread below can highlight things I missed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From my understanding, the only ecu that would work for this set up is a kpro ecu from an 02-04 Rsx. A CRV from the junk yard will most likely have a stock ecu. Even if you kpro it, I don't believe the pins in the engine harness line up correctly. I'm sure it can be connected but as far as getting your car to start, I don't believe it would work.

Normally for a K24a2 to work in an 02-04 Rsx, you need a 02-04 RSX Hondata modified ecu (kpro); 02-04 Rsx engine harness; 02-04 Rsx-s crank sensor; Crv passenger side motor mount/bracket; all the Rsx accessories (alternator, water pump, ac compressor, power steering pump).

[/QUOTE]

Ah man... I see, so possibly this whole time it has been the wrong ecu? I'll do some digging ti see if I can find a local hondata from a rsx to see if that works. I appreciate everything man! I'll keep updating on here for the progress!

Registered
2003 RSX Base K24A2 5Spd

[/QUOTE]
My kpro is in a CRV ECU and it runs my k24 swapped base just fine. The only thing that sucks is the ecu mounts up funny compared to stock. The hondata kpro software has a stock tsx map that should at least get you started. Where is your map sensor mounted? I'm running the stock tsx manifold with the type S throttlebody on the Karcepts TB adapter and using the map sensor on the type S TB.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

My kpro is in a CRV ECU and it runs my k24 swapped base just fine. The only thing that sucks is the ecu mounts up funny compared to stock. The hondata kpro software has a stock tsx map that should at least get you started. Where is your map sensor mounted? I'm running the stock tsx manifold with the type S throttlebody on the Karcepts TB adapter and using the map sensor on the type S TB.
[/QUOTE]

My map sensor is located on the ktuned TB. The holes to mount it to the manifold however are still open. Should I find something to plug it up, or try to move it there?

Registered
2003 RSX Base K24A2 5Spd
My map sensor is located on the ktuned TB. The holes to mount it to the manifold however are still open. Should I find something to plug it up, or try to move it there?
[/QUOTE]
My RBB Manifold has the stock MAP blocking that port shut. At the very least you're gonna have a nasty vacuum leak with it open. This might help a little bit too http://www.karcepts.com/index_files/instructions/KIM01 Installation Instructions.pdf My rsx is an 03 and I'm using the one on the TB.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts