Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 Acura RSX Base Automatic (USA) model. My car was throwing OBD code P0420 which indicated inefficiency with Catalytic Converter. I decided to change it along with both O2 sensors. I purchased following upstream sensor for my car which is:

Denso Air-Fuel Ratio Sensor 4 Wire, Direct Fit, Heated, Wire Length: 16.54
Part# 234-9006

The downstream sensor was NTK O2 Sensor Part #24409. The installation went fine and installer checked all connections etc. but my car now throws OBD Code P0134 which indicates that there is a problem with the oxygen sensor that is positioned before the catalytic converter and on the engine bank that houses cylinder #1 i.e. the upstream sensor.

Can you tell me if the correct part was put and what is the cause of the error and how to get rid of it?

Also, do Acura RSX and Honda Civic use same OEM Parts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have the correct part but chances are it's bad. It's best to with OEM when dealing with 02 sensors. Attached is the code setting criteria.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That's the correct sensor. The dude that did the labor may have damaged the wire during installation, or he plugged the primary into the harness for the secondary and vice versa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part Number needed

Thanks for your post. One more question:

I see online that OEM upstream O2 sensor for 2003 Acura RSX base is 36531-PND-A01.
Also, the same part number is used for Honda Civic. Are they same? Can I buy the part from Honda dealer where it is cheap and will it work in my Acura?

·
Registered
28 Posts
OEM supplier part is different than OEM

The OEM sensor is made by Denso.
True, but OEM suppliers make the OEM parts to a different standard.

The suppliers have to do that because the OEM's could sue them if the parts weren't different then what they made and sold to the OEM

So there is always a chance that the OEM supplier part is not as reliable as OEM

That said, the purchased parts should work and there is probably a different problem whether it is installation or another issue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts