Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know much about the 2004 solara camry coupe?
like the 0-60 times, etc.

like the styling and the price?
i think it's alright, especially the v6 model starting at 30k. definetly worth looking at if ur looking to get a rsx auto or accord coupe v6 auto.

btw solara camry coupe is only in auto...

·
My RSX is 2 years old!
1,048 Posts
The Solara is a two-door Camry. For the folks that like a a comfy, reliable ride, but wants a coupe look. The RSX (in auto) is a sporty ride coupe with much more agility and a relatively hard suspension. IMO, they're totally different.

I think the V6 Accord would be a much better comparison to the V6 Solara. But becuase neither of the two cars offer the sporty agility, I would just choose the 4 door versions for the comfort and convenience. We're talking auto anyways... And for slightly more, there's always the TSX.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I like the new Solara but it's a bit too expensive. The top of the line V6 is a few $k more than the Accord V6 EX. If I'm paying over $40k incl. tax, I would not consider either the Accord or Solara. Besides, the Interior of the Accord seems to be better. Oh well, I'm a bit biased as I'm the owner of an Accord Coupe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
neither of the two cars offer the sporty agility
This is true, but the Accord is a better handler than Camry. If you compare the top of the line Accord coupe (V6, six speed manual) and top of the line Solara, the Solara won't even come close in performance.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
i just bought a tsx and i think it is better than both hahahaha i'm kinda biased myself

·
Registered
389 Posts
My GF just got a V6 Se Sport model. Her dad freaking haggled the price down to ridiculously low price.

She's paying less for her V6 Se Sport Solara than I am for my RSX-S... which is crazy. He almost made the salesman cry. She's paying like 370 a month... I pay 420. Both for five years.

Anyhoo... back to the Solara. She has an auto, and the ride is real smooth. The V6 is pretty quick, although the car is mad heavy. The steering is really responsive as well... kinda too much so. It's like the car drives for you... not much input is needed from the driver at all. The sportronic shifter is a nice addition as well.

I've never driven a base RSX... but if you could haggle the payments as well as my GF's dad did... I'd jump on that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I was thinking about getting the TSX at the time, but just can't pass up on the 240hp V6.....

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
first off, it's camry solara, not solara camry, basically it's a camry coupe.

the V6 only comes in auto, but u can get the 4-cyl 2az-fe (same engine used in teh rav4, camry, and scion tC) in manual or auto. i belieeve the V6 has the new 5 spd auto though.

Many ppl say the solara's interior is more liek a lexus interior than a toyota interior, so that would be a big factor too. Like others have said though, Solara would be pretty comparable to a Accord coupe, so u might wanna look at that. though i personally would rather get a solara. btw, the 4-cyl TRd supercharger should be coming out soon, with the release of the tC, should bump that up to about 200hp.

hey jobnumber, what lexus?

·
Registered
389 Posts
He has a 99 ES300. The solara has a Bigger, smoother V6 IMHO. I just like the Solara... it's nice looking too. I haven't seen to many of these on the roads yet. The accord however... EVERYWHERE. :p

I test drove a 4 cyl as well... that car was also really nice and smooth.

And the 5 speed steptronic shifter on the Solara is neat as well.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
depends what solara u're talking about.

97-01 had the 1MZ, non-vvti i think, not sure about the vvti though. if it changed when the camry did, vvti didn't come until June 02. now, in teh new solara, they have the 3MZ, a 3.3L engine based on teh 1MZ, just a little bigger, and better response.

the 99ES300 has a 1MZ as well, and i'd guess it is vvti, considering the avalon at the time had vvti. so the engines should be similar.

my aunt's new sienna has that 3MZ, and you're right, it is much smoother, and more powerful than her old sienna. hehe, i could go around racin gin that thing :D i did actually, but she doesn't know :p

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
02 DsrtSilverBase said:
first off, it's camry solara, not solara camry, basically it's a camry coupe.

the V6 only comes in auto, but u can get the 4-cyl 2az-fe (same engine used in teh rav4, camry, and scion tC) in manual or auto. i belieeve the V6 has the new 5 spd auto though.

Many ppl say the solara's interior is more liek a lexus interior than a toyota interior, so that would be a big factor too. Like others have said though, Solara would be pretty comparable to a Accord coupe, so u might wanna look at that. though i personally would rather get a solara. btw, the 4-cyl TRd supercharger should be coming out soon, with the release of the tC, should bump that up to about 200hp.
i checked toyota.ca and it shows that the camry solara comes only in auto, i don't know where ur getting this manual option from.
so far i've only seen 2 camry solaras, so they're sorta rare for now.

personally i really like the front, but i hate the back. i am sort of car shopping, and the camry solara isn't in the top 5 of my list, but it's somewhere there cause it's a new car and i'm curious.

·
28,750 Posts
According to toyota.com USA gets a 5-Speed manual as a tranny choice for the SE and SE Sport (doesn't SE stand for Sport Edition? Its a Sport Edition Sport:D)
The SLE is only auto.

However, Canada gets a 4SPD auto and a 5SPD tiptronic. No manual.

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
crazy said:
According to toyota.com USA gets a 5-Speed manual as a tranny choice for the SE and SE Sport (doesn't SE stand for Sport Edition? Its a Sport Edition Sport:D)
The SLE is only auto.

However, Canada gets a 4SPD auto and a 5SPD tiptronic. No manual.
as far as I know SE is Special Edition...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts