Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've tried searching for a solution to some problems but no luck...was hoping someone could help out.

A. So lately my key gets stuck and will out release I unless move the car forward and reverse a few times...if lucky only once.

B. When I move from "P" to "D" or any other position, I hear crunching or what i can describe as a thick plastic bag being crumpled.

B-1 Rare occasions but when hearing the crunching noise, I feel a lot of resistance while moving the shifter and at times cannot move at all.

C. Transmission and engine jerks when moved to "D"...thinking fluid or mounts are bad?

If anyone can give me advise or knowledge as where to start, i would greatly appreciate it. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
How many miles are on your car? Do you have any check engine lights or anything?

When you say move the car forward and reverse a few times, do you mean you actually shift out back and forth from "D" and "R" before it will let you into "P" ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
140k plus miles

CEL is on but is for the O2 sensor

I can drive forward and reverse freely at times before trying to remove the key, but will remain stuck when put in "P" keeping the engine on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not too sure what it may be then. I've seen issues where you can't get into gear due to the brake pedal sensor needing to be replaced, but as you can shift into R and D ok, but not into P, it looks to be a different issue.

It may be best to just take it to a mechanic to have them diagnose it for you as they can visually inspect it a lot better

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Not sure on your "crunching" sound, but it sounds like something to worry about. A clunk is totally normal. Does the shift indicator blink at all? You could start with replacing the fluid and see what it does.

As for the key getting stuck, try wiggling the shifter around in the park position. It's probably not fully engaging, preventing the key from being released.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven’t looked under the shifter cover, but hopefully that might be the solution. I will post results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts