Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 2005 RSX base model. Upon acceleration there was a slight abnormal vibrating sound during initial acceleration, and upon further investigation I noticed when the engine was under a load, it seemed to move more than it should. I verified this the old fashion way, put the car in gear, hold the brake and give it a little gas. I discovered the motor mount located on the passenger side of the vehicle looked as if it had come apart. Since the car is 16 years old, I decided to replace all 4 motor mounts. I am not a novice at automotive repairs, I used to be a mechanic. I replaced all 4 motor mounts with aftermarket "rubber" mounts. Everything was torqued. A few of the old ones showed evidence of rubber deterioration and the passenger side mount was in 2 pieces. Everything seemed to go OK, however after all the mounts were replaced, there is now a sever vibration through out the vehicle while driving and at idle. The original vibration sound is gone. I have rechecked the mounts and all the bolts seem to be tight. I am wondering if that mount on the passenger side could be defective. I should note that there wasn't any "physical" vibration prior to replacing all the mounts, the problem was more of an abnormal sound during acceleration. Any ideas? And I appreciate all the assistance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aftermarket motor mounts are usually the problem. Stick with OEM.

I would buy an OEM passenger side motor mount and put the other 3 originals back on and see if that helps. If not, replace the other 3 with OEM as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had an issue with that same side mount before. I replaced it 3 times within a 2 month span before switching to a set of innovative mounts.

I would echo the same statement as vtecnintx. The vibration you might be feeling though is the bracket that bolts from the engine to the motor mount on the passenger side.

There is somewhat of a tab that sits on the side of the mount as the mount wears out, it comes in contact with it and makes an annoying vibration throughout the whole car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aftermarket motor mounts are usually the problem. Stick with OEM.

I would buy an OEM passenger side motor mount and put the other 3 originals back on and see if that helps. If not, replace the other 3 with OEM as well.
Thanks for the informative reply. It is my girlfriends car and I went with aftermarket in an attempt to save her some money; big price difference, but I should know better. Since 2 of the other mounts were showing signs of deterioration, I have trashed all of the old mounts so I can't put the old ones back on.. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and fork out $180.00+ for an OEM passenger side mount.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had an issue with that same side mount before. I replaced it 3 times within a 2 month span before switching to a set of innovative mounts.

I would echo the same statement as vtecnintx. The vibration you might be feeling though is the bracket that bolts from the engine to the motor mount on the passenger side.

There is somewhat of a tab that sits on the side of the mount as the mount wears out, it comes in contact with it and makes an annoying vibration throughout the whole car.
I appreciate the reply, I will look at the area you mentioned and see if there is any contact, but as I mentioned to vrecnintx, I will probably suffer the price difference and get an OEM passenger side mount. I was hoping the solution would be less costly, should have known better than to go with aftermarket parts for this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive been down this road with the mounts also. I installed "stock" replacements as a set of 4 off RA. I also had issues with the pass side mount, the OEM was crushed from hitting huge pothole and the top part shattered. after replacing with the new mounts I found 2 issues. 1- the drivers side mount was slightly different than OEM. the OEM mount is offset (auto trans) and the replacement was straight. there are also 2 "ears" that go with the drivers side mount, if you dont replace those or install them right then the engine side mount will ride on the casing of the body mount and cause vibrations, those ears need to be there especially on the front (bumper side) of the body engine mount, there are tabs front and back to help those ears stay put between each mount. 2- the front mount is slightly adjustable, once it is in place and bolt started, jack the engine as high as you can then tighten the bolt for the mount, that will take a lot of pressure off the pass side mount (that is weak to begin with) as over time it will weaken and the engine side mount will rest on the body and again cause vibration. I got the energy suspension engine mount inserts and used them front and back. they cause a slight vibration at idle with none into driving rpms. I think the happy medium would be just to use the front ES mount insert on the front motor mount and call it good. just my $.02, good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I took everyone's advice, and upon further investigation it would seem that what has happened is what has been stated here. The engine "bracket" is actually sitting/touching the motor mount flange. so it is as if the mount doesn't exist. All the engine vibration is being transferred in the body at that point. I will attempt a temporary quick fix as suggested by bl817, and contact the supplier about a possible refund on a defective mount before forking out the big bucks for OEM. This mount is probably the easiest to get to and replace. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I took everyone's advice, and upon further investigation it would seem that what has happened is what has been stated here. The engine "bracket" is actually sitting/touching the motor mount flange. so it is as if the mount doesn't exist. All the engine vibration is being transferred in the body at that point. I will attempt a temporary quick fix as suggested by bl817, and contact the supplier about a possible refund on a defective mount before forking out the big bucks for OEM. This mount is probably the easiest to get to and replace. Thanks again everyone.
Yes, the passenger mounts are known to break easily. Its oil filled and once the oil leaks out you'll have metal to metal contact.

Not sure I would recommend going back to OEM given how easy they break and how expensive they are. I would personally recommend getting HardRace street mounts. I have all 4 of these installed on my daily RSX and couldn't be more happy with them. I hate aftermarket mounts that introduce noise and vibration. I tried everything from inserts to Vibratecnics. They all introduced cabin vibration which is not something I want in a daily.

I installed HardRace mounts and I can happily say that these do not introduce cabin vibration. They are the closest thing to stock but add additional support. From what I can tell, the passenger side mount has more rubber and is not prone to leaking like OEM.

At $113.00, I say its worth ordering and trying out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yall a bunch of sissies welcome to life of race mounts i love all the vibrations i have solid no rubber motor mounts and suspension bushings and I love all the metal vibrations so raw and organic.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yall a bunch of sissies welcome to life of race mounts i love all the vibrations i have solid no rubber motor mounts and suspension bushings and I love all the metal vibrations so raw and organic.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Sissies? You're the one talking about loving all of the metal vibrations... this was made for you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sissies? You're the one talking about loving all of the metal vibrations... this was made for you.
View attachment 568936
Hey come on man, it's 2021. We can't judge someone based on what he chooses to do on his personal time. If he plays for the other team and likes organic vibrations, we need to accept him into our CRSX family.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Only when your mom does it ***
Not that it’s any of my business, but I wouldn’t openly brag about a forum members older mother banging me with a vibrating metal object that resembles a penis...

and before you go around talking about people acting their age, keep in mind that you pulled the “your mom” card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a 2005 RSX base model. Upon acceleration there was a slight abnormal vibrating sound during initial acceleration, and upon further investigation I noticed when the engine was under a load, it seemed to move more than it should. I verified this the old fashion way, put the car in gear, hold the brake and give it a little gas. I discovered the motor mount located on the passenger side of the vehicle looked as if it had come apart. Since the car is 16 years old, I decided to replace all 4 motor mounts. I am not a novice at automotive repairs, I used to be a mechanic. I replaced all 4 motor mounts with aftermarket "rubber" mounts. Everything was torqued. A few of the old ones showed evidence of rubber deterioration and the passenger side mount was in 2 pieces. Everything seemed to go OK, however after all the mounts were replaced, there is now a sever vibration through out the vehicle while driving and at idle. The original vibration sound is gone. I have rechecked the mounts and all the bolts seem to be tight. I am wondering if that mount on the passenger side could be defective. I should note that there wasn't any "physical" vibration prior to replacing all the mounts, the problem was more of an abnormal sound during acceleration. Any ideas? And I appreciate all the assistance.
The cause of your RSX vibration is your after maket mounts. I have a base 2004 RSX that needed all engine mounts replaced. Aftermarket mounts - front, rear, side fluid mount and a transmission mount were $120 made in cheap China added $200 labor. Was I wrong? The car shaked and vibrated to the point that I couldn't drive. I ordered all mount OEM again from dealer $528 + $200 labor and the ride is now butter smooth. The problems are the aftermarket mounts. They made of hard ruber and inconsistent ruber density. The right mount which is supposedly fluid-filled is also made with ruber instead. They couldn't absorb the engine vibration and thus transferring all the harsh and vibration to the cabin, the steering wheel, seats....
I think you need to put the OEM on again instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The cause of your RSX vibration is your after maket mounts. I have a base 2004 RSX that needed all engine mounts replaced. Aftermarket mounts - front, rear, side fluid mount and a transmission mount were $120 made in cheap China added $200 labor. Was I wrong? The car shaked and vibrated to the point that I couldn't drive. I ordered all mount OEM again from dealer $528 + $200 labor and the ride is now butter smooth. The problems are the aftermarket mounts. They made of hard ruber and inconsistent ruber density. The right mount which is supposedly fluid-filled is also made with ruber instead. They couldn't absorb the engine vibration and thus transferring all the harsh and vibration to the cabin, the steering wheel, seats....
I think you need to put the OEM on again instead.
Thanks for the reply. I plan on replacing the passenger side mount first with an OEM and see what happens. If that removes the vibration, or decreases the amount of vibration, I will leave the other 3 alone; if it doesn't, then I will proceed with replacing the other 3, one at a time, and hope to get lucky early on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts