Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Please post if you finally replaced all the mounts and the vibration is eliminated.
Because of the number of comments and advice, I plan on posting as I move forward. Hopefully, I will only need to reply once after replacing the passenger side if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have seen a few comments about the front mount being somewhat adjustable. I would guess that the "front mount" would be the mount towards the front of the vehicle. Anyone have any info about the front mount being adjustable?

·
Registered
69 Posts
it is adjustable (the stock one), the bolt slides up and down in a channel, its a PITA to get the nut started as it has a tab that also slides in a channel to keep it from moving when tightening bolt. I used a magnetic pick up tool and had to hold my tongue just right to get the bolt started in the nut, once I did, I jacked the motor up until the mount bolt was at the top of its travel and tightened it down. and yes, it is the mount thats at the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
it is adjustable (the stock one), the bolt slides up and down in a channel, its a PITA to get the nut started as it has a tab that also slides in a channel to keep it from moving when tightening bolt. I used a magnetic pick up tool and had to hold my tongue just right to get the bolt started in the nut, once I did, I jacked the motor up until the mount bolt was at the top of its travel and tightened it down. and yes, it is the mount thats at the front of the vehicle.
If the mount I have already installed is also adjustable, BIG IF, could I loosen the bolt and jack the motor up as far as it goes, and then tighten the nut? Would this possibly increase the distance between the engine bracket and the passenger side mount, basically getting the engine bracket from resting against the body?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i guess my replies are invisible or something, ive said to do this about 6 times already, YES, loosen the front mount bolt, YES, jack the engine up as high as it will go, YES, tighten the mount bolt, YES this "should" take stress off the passenger side mount, YES, if its a stock type replacement it will be adjustable, YES YES FFS YES!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I apologize. I just went back and found your reply from 12 days ago. I guess I didn't read it close enough to understand what you had written about the front mount. I am going to see if I can accomplice this with the aftermarket mount that is already installed, hopefully there will be enough travel to allow the clearance on the passenger side. Just FYI, I am an old time mechanic, I am 74, and all my prior experience has been on older vehicles like my 79 Dodge truck. 2 mounts on the engine and one for the transmission, and the engine sits front to back, not side ways. LOL. Once again, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2005 RSX Base
3 Posts
This is a 2005 RSX base model. Upon acceleration there was a slight abnormal vibrating sound during initial acceleration, and upon further investigation I noticed when the engine was under a load, it seemed to move more than it should. I verified this the old fashion way, put the car in gear, hold the brake and give it a little gas. I discovered the motor mount located on the passenger side of the vehicle looked as if it had come apart. Since the car is 16 years old, I decided to replace all 4 motor mounts. I am not a novice at automotive repairs, I used to be a mechanic. I replaced all 4 motor mounts with aftermarket "rubber" mounts. Everything was torqued. A few of the old ones showed evidence of rubber deterioration and the passenger side mount was in 2 pieces. Everything seemed to go OK, however after all the mounts were replaced, there is now a sever vibration through out the vehicle while driving and at idle. The original vibration sound is gone. I have rechecked the mounts and all the bolts seem to be tight. I am wondering if that mount on the passenger side could be defective. I should note that there wasn't any "physical" vibration prior to replacing all the mounts, the problem was more of an abnormal sound during acceleration. Any ideas? And I appreciate all the assistance.
Torque the bolts to right specs. According to manufacturer

21 - 29 of 29 Posts