Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Way too many cars
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a decent stable of cars, but with the birth of my daughter in December and my wife's 2007 TSX at 150,000 miles, I'm looking to pick up something new for her.

So, I either have to sell my 2006 RSX or my 2003 Mustang Cobra... I can imagine what most of the responses would be on which to choose, but I'm also considering both.

My RSX is one of my beloved cars and with everything I've done with it, I do have a number in mind that I'd like to obtain, but I'd like to see what you all think would be a realistic asking price.

2006 Acura RSX Type-S - Magnesium Metallic - 46,000-ish miles.
Factory ordered A-Spec (with the proper split-spoke gunmetal 17" wheels, not the older 10-spoke)

Only serviced by King Motorsports or Scottsdale Acura - Most records available
I am the original owner from new - No accidents

Modifications:
I've separated the mods between what King Motorsports had done vs. Acura or myself.

King Motorsports (Links to parts provided for reference):
Estimated mileage of items below is 15,000 miles (will look up, but it was stock for the majority of the miles on the vehicle).

• Custom head work (rebuild/port/polish) - need to look up specs
  • Custom throttle body bore
  • Mugen High-Performance Airbox
  • Mugen Sport Suspension System
  • Mugen Header / Catalytic Converter
  • Mugen Twin-Loop Cat-Back Exhaust
  • Mugen Front/Rear Strut Tower Bars (Front was installed for under 100 miles - NIB)
  • Mugen Shift Knob (why not buy the most expensive shift knob, right?)
  • Mugen? Engine mounts - need to look it up, but I know the rear mount is stock since the upgrade caused too much vibration for my old ass.
  • ACT Stage 2 Clutch (hated the mushy stock clutch - almost new when removed)
  • ACT Lightweight flywheel
  • Buddy Club Short-Throw Shifter
  • Custom tuning by King Motorsports (duh, almost forgot)
  • KoyoRad Upgraded aluminum radiator
  • Evans Cooling NPG+ Coolant
Other Performance Mods:

• Hotchkis Competition Front/Rear Sway Bars - I didn't buy them from this link, but this was the kit.
  • Braided steel brake lines (found here on ClubRSX, I believe)
  • Cross-Drilled rotors (I'll find the brand)
Stereo Modifications - Installed by United Audio Center's Championship installer from Chicago (yep, welcome to the early 2000s lol, but he worked on all my cars)

• Pioneer AVIC-Z2 (yes, its old, but it does have a hard drive for music storage and I have three, including an SSD that work great)
  • Full interior/cargo area (not headliner) Extreme Dynamat including double application on exterior door/interior plastic door parts. - Ever tap on the door of an RSX and hear that hollow sound? Yeah, bugged the hell out of me, so now it sounds like the door is one solid piece of metal and the doors close with a dull "thud" too. Road noise is non-existent.
  • Boston Pro Series Components in front (might be Z-Series, but probably Pro)
  • JL Audio W7 10" Sub in OEM JL box.
  • JL Audio Amps for components, rears and subs. Specs available if desired.
  • Crappy 1 farad capacitor that needs to go, but car was wired with zero gauge for future expansion and an Alumapro 5 farad cap is sitting on a shelf to replace this cap.
Note: The sub box is NOT hard-mounted as I refused to drill any holes in the car. The amps were mounted on the sides of the subwoofer box and the whole unit can be removed as one piece for more storage space, race day, whatever.

I also have the AVIC-Z1 backup camera new in box, never installed.
Valentine One hardwire kit and concealment module available too.

Cosmetic Modifications:

• Proper Philips 6000k HID headlights and foglights (matching color/set)
  • Retarded expensive window tinting - I popped for a brand with a lifetime warranty, but is guaranteed to reduce heat and UV which is key in Arizona. No purple BS or bubbling almost 10 years now.
  • Original floor mats and emblems intact - took them out soon after purchase
  • Acura RSX rubber floor mats and rubberized cargo liner used most of the time
  • Hard-mounted center armrest (the good one that mounts to the seat frame)
  • Type-S grille emblem (Honda JDM)
  • Integra Type-S door sill emblems (Honda JDM)
  • Acura "Titanium" interior option from factory
Bad Stuff:

• One light bulb behind the climate control knobs seems to be out.
  • HIDs for fog lamps are triggered by the "brights" switch and not fog lamp switch. - This was a ghetto quick fix, but nothing is wrong with the switch.
  • The 1 farad capacitor (mentioned earlier) likes to "warm up" and causes audio anomalies for a few minutes through the speakers from cold start. This is why I'm including the 5 farad Alumapro because this thing sucks.
I know I'm forgetting stuff like the brand of radiator hoses, whether it has the Mugen fan switch or not and some other stuff, but I think I recalled all the big ticket items.
I also still have the OEM airbox and OEM Bose stereo in case someone has some cassettes they'd like to play... LOL.

I know what KBB says the car is worth and have seen what's on EBay and Autotrader, but if I held out to sell to a proper enthusiast/connoisseur who's looking for a tastefully modded, well-maintained, one-owner, adult owned, never thrashed RSX, what would be a fair price?

Thanks to everyone in advance...

Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
would definitely love to see pics of the car!

damn...and you have the mugen header/catalytic converter combo also :X !!!

How does that bad boy sound on the car?!

·
Registered
948 Posts
You asked about a fair price point, I would say $20-25k. However, in today's economy it might take a while to sell. Other members have parted out to bring down the price of the car. You can make back all your money for the Mugen parts since they have been discontinued. I would like to see some pictures.

·
DC5 Gang***ger
19,030 Posts
Way too much. I dont see you getting anymore than 17k for the car. But you can price at 20k to then come down a few grand assuming ghe seller knows how to negotiate lol. But no way yul get 20k or more imo

·
Registered
948 Posts
The car stock alone is worth in my opinion around $12-15K (California prices are generally higher) and he has easily $5K in Mugen parts. But really, it's all about finding a buyer for it for the price that you want to sell it for.

·
DC5 Gang***ger
19,030 Posts
Wow lol. They wont get those amounts at all. The value of rsx has decreased over the years. If this was 4 years ago MAYBE theyd get those asking prices but not now.

Even dealers in my area are selling them for 8k with 50k miles. And thats from dealerships lol the ones who rob the most.

And craiglist over here nj and ny you dont see owners asking more rhan 9k

·
R.I.P. '02 RSX (Sold)
1,744 Posts
OP's car:

I remember seeing this car posted in the A-Spec thread back in 2009 or so. One of my favorites and loved how it looked right off the dealership lot. Funny I was thinking about this car a few days ago too, as I saw one posted on FB.

I wouldn't ask nothing less than $15,000. Car is worth it.

Most 05-06 will go for 6-7k in good condition, stock condition for 8k. But really depending on your area. RSX value has dropped big time. But if the car is still in great shape as before, ask nothing less.

·
DC5 Gang***ger
19,030 Posts
Good price if its all cash. 13k-17k is what i see the car is worth at most. Its not what you'd want, its what you actually are going to get. Thats how stuff is sold.

·
Way too many cars
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OP's car:

I remember seeing this car posted in the A-Spec thread back in 2009 or so. One of my favorites and loved how it looked right off the dealership lot. Funny I was thinking about this car a few days ago too, as I saw one posted on FB.

I wouldn't ask nothing less than $15,000. Car is worth it.

Most 05-06 will go for 6-7k in good condition, stock condition for 8k. But really depending on your area. RSX value has dropped big time. But if the car is still in great shape as before, ask nothing less.
Wow, thanks for posting that... Did you find that link in an old post? LOL I even forgot that entire website was still online! I've had my Facebook turned off for ages (too many old "friends" asking for loans) and forgot about that picture.

That pic was for the relatively short time it was in Illinois when I was using a 97 Thunderbird for a winter car... I had the Cobra and the RSX and got laughed at for still needing a winter car. I mostly bought the car when fuel prices went over 2.00 for the first time and the Cobra was killing me when driving for work even with getting paid for mileage.

My favorite picture... "A Mid-Summer Night's Dilema" - What to drive? LOL

Most of the miles on the RSX were between Illinois and clients in Iowa and Wisconsin, so not only can I say "all highway miles", I actually have expense reports to prove it. LOL. I vowed I'd never own a front wheel drive car, but after the first commercial I saw of the RSX, I began looking into it. Most people shit their pants when I showed up in it, but this is simply one of my most favorite cars I've ever owned.

I moved to Arizona from Illinois in 2008 and am still trying to find the picture of the Reliable Carriers truck dropping it off. My first house was in North Snottsdale, so all the Barrett Jackson snobs are used to seeing Reliable Carriers dropping off exotics and classics, but out pops my little RSX... Yep. I spoil my babies. LOL.

My RSX has been retired from driving for work since 2008 and I think I put less than 2000 miles a year, but I still drive it. NOTHING I own can handle some of the mountain roads out here like this car. That Mugen Sports suspension is no joke, but I hated the FWD understeer, so the Hotchkis fatass bar really helps.

I'll post more pictures soon, but while I was hoping for 20k when considering all the modifications, we all know how you simply never make money off your mods unless you RTS the car and sell them separate or you find someone who REALLY wants that setup... Or someone who wants to sell the parts and do something else.

I've been told that 17,500 is realistic since I'm the original owner, I was 30 when I bought it, have most of the records, dyno sheets, etc. However, I have seen prices all over the place... This is what happens when cars reach or exceed that "magic" ten year old mark...Same shit happened to my 2006 CL65.

If I had to sell it for less than 13-15k, I think I'd just keep it. I have no interest in returning the car to stock and selling the parts as I simply don't have the time. I still cannot believe how much my parts cost NOW as opposed to what I paid for them originally, but I'm not factoring that into the price.

I wish there was more of a solid going price, but it still does seem to be varying quite a bit.

·
DC5 Gang***ger
19,030 Posts
Photos look nice. Yeah no way yul get around 20k as of now. But it does look nice and spotless and kudos for you for all the maintenence.

But prices for rsx has declined severley. Where im from they arent selling for more than 10k with low miles where others are from they sell for a little higher.

But to be realistic i cant see you getting around more than 17k. And 17k is what those with turboed crazy mainteneced setups are asking for, so take that into consideration.

Although, yours looks top notch condition. If you get the price youre looking for good for you and hope it all ends well, but im just being real.

You wont get that price for a deal for sure, and for cash price i dont see anyone paying near that ammount.

Like i said you can post it for 20k to start out with since you should always start high. But yul prob end up getting cash offers of around 13 14k

Nice rsx tho man that shit looks immaculate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts