Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
28,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The votes are in and Lexus has nabbed the top spot in J.D. Power and Associates’ 2008 Vehicle Dependability Study, marking the 14th consecutive year that Lexus has taken top honors. The 2008 VDS involved one-owner 2005 model year vehicles.

The study ranks brands and vehicles based on problems per hundred vehicles (PP 100). For 2008, Lexus improved by 25 PP 100, tallying a score of 120 PP 100. Surprisingly, Mercury took the number two spot with 151 PP 100, followed by Cadillac with 155 PP 100. Toyota – 159 PP 100 — and Acura – 160 PP 100 – filled out the rest of the top five.
Lexus also emerged with the most segment-leading models – six – with parent company Toyota right behind with five.
Saab was the most improved brand in the study – with 254 PP 100 – but still lags behind the industry average of 206 PP 100.
Kia, Suzuki and Land Rover rounded out the bottom three, with scores of 278 PP 100, 302 PP 100 and 344 PP 100, respectively.
Of note, J.D. Power’s VDS is an objective study, so take the results with as main grains of salt as you feel necessary.

As usual, Lexus, Acura, Toyota, etc up at the top. What is interesting, however, is that half of the top 8 are American. BMW is up there, and Jaguar is tied with Honda :eek:

Still, as the article says, take everything with a grain of salt because its not the be all and end all of all reliability tests.

·
28,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the year limitation for this? they have some older cars on there
The article says it involves 2005 cars.

To me another shocker is Scion, worse than HUMMER despite being a Toyota, and despite having a runner up for best small car.

·
del
7,360 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the cars that old people drive rarely have problems reported because old people drive their cars less hard and less far, moreover are either too ignorant or lazy to do anything about the problems. People in Scions, however, expect great reliability and when anything goes wrong with the xB they brought to a track day, they're going to report it. I think this explains Subaru's low ranking as well, people beating on their STis and reporting the issues, whereas nobody beats on a new Buick because only 80-year-old men buy them.

·
28,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the cars that old people drive rarely have problems reported because old people drive their cars less hard and less far, moreover are either too ignorant or lazy to do anything about the problems. People in Scions, however, expect great reliability and when anything goes wrong with the xB they brought to a track day, they're going to report it. I think this explains Subaru's low ranking as well, people beating on their STis and reporting the issues, whereas nobody beats on a new Buick because only 80-year-old men buy them.
Explains Honda and Acura up top :mam:

jks. Although, what about Mitsu and Porsche? :)

·
del
7,360 Posts
:rotfl: Touche.

Porsche- Old men? :dontknow:
Mitsu- All of their drivers are already ASE certified mechanics from owning DSMs. :laughing:

Actually Mitsubishi's spot is seemingly accurate. I think they've started getting things done properly over there, perhaps related to their distance from Dodge. As for Porsche, I think they're just flat out more reliable these days.

·
12sx
4,423 Posts
Well at least the Germans aren't at the bottom as I thought they would be. Props to BMW too.

If I remember correctly, didn't Honda have more top-ranked models last year?

Also surpirsed at how Lexus has been at the top for such a long time since they're growing well and rich people tend to complain a lot. I guess it it goes to show how good their quality is.

·
Omnomin' outta control
21,810 Posts
Porsche has always been known for their reliability at the track, and owners almost always have great luck with them.

And yes lexus makes the most reliable luxury car you can buy. No doubt.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ford is the most reliable american company and chrysler is garbage. I know a chick that went through 3 catylitic converters in 57k miles on her 300 base and that shit doesnt make sense to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts