·
"Por-Sha"
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LTiT6tXHY0&feature=player_embedded#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3mfViT8qLs&feature=player_embedded#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp3t64t395g&feature=player_embedded#

From 6speedonline:
The Spyder is based on the Boxster S but it gets a small bump in performance, with its 3.4-liter flat-six engine developing 320 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque--the same as the current Cayman S.

Weighing in at just 2,811 pounds, the Spyder will be the lightest Porsche available--from a company already known for lightweight, proficient sports cars. Some of the techniques used to shed the pounds include the removal of the regular Boxster’s daytime running lights and fog lamps, as well as its automatic soft-top roof. Instead, the Spyder gets a manually-operated canopy-style roof and new rear deck.
Inside, the weight saving theme continues with the removal of the air conditioner and stereo, as well as the regular Boxster’s seats, which have been replaced with lighter and more supportive bucket seats.

The end result is a saving of 0.2 seconds off the Boxster S’ 0-62 mph time, with the Boxster Spyder doing it in just 4.8 seconds when equipped with Porsche’s PDK dual-clutch gearbox and Sport Chrono Plus package. The other benefit of the lighter kerb weight is a slight improvement in fuel economy though official numbers are yet to be released.

The combination of more horsepower and 176 pounds less weight than the Boxster S, plus an all-new sport suspension that lowers the Boxster Spyder 20 mm, a lower center of gravity, a standard limited slip differential, and exclusive wheels provides the kind of driving dynamics that back up the unique look. Aluminum door skins and lightweight interior door panels from the 911 GT3 RS contribute to the weight reduction.

This third Boxster model will join the Boxster and Boxster S and will make its world debut at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show, December 2, 2009. First sales will start in February 2010, with prices starting at $61,200.
$61k ! A bunch of options added on and the same price as the Cayman S!

I would love to get my hands on this but obviously it's not a DD. No cup holders, no a/c, no radio.

·
"Por-Sha"
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
61k. I'll take the cayman
Yea, it's not for everyone. I would take the Cayman also but there's already a lot of interest with Porsche owners and a couple have put down a down-payment already.
The rear looks great (resembles a CGT) and it's going to perform like a beast on the track. It's like the "RS" for the 987.

I <3 the seats and the interior in general.

Autocar Article:
Porsche Boxster Spyder - new details
Porsche has released more information on its new range-topping Boxster, the Spyder, ahead of the car’s official unveiling at the Los Angeles motor show this week.

The new details confirm that the car is a far cry from the marketing-spun money-maker some feared it would be, but rather a fully redesigned and re-engineered sub-£50k performance special.

The Boxster Spyder will indeed run the same 315bhp 3.4-litre engine as the Cayman S. It’s a significantly different motor to the 305bhp unit in a Boxster S, however: it revs all the way to 7500rpm, and features a different crankcase, different engine mounts, a different oil pump, different intake manifolds and a more sophisticated direct fuel injection system.
Weighing just 1275kg unladen, the Boxster Spyder will become the lightest new car that Porsche makes, and the fastest of its current crop of two-seaters; equipped with a seven-speed PDK gearbox and a Sport Chrono Plus package, it’ll crack 62mph in just 4.8sec. With it’s further overdriven seventh gear, the PDK car is also more economical than the manual.
The car’s 80kg weight saving relative to a standard Boxster S has been made via the fitment of aluminium doors (15kg), an aluminium rear deck (3kg), lighter bucket seats (12kg), and via a lighter roof that weighs only 6kg all in. The car also comes without air conditioning and without a CD-radio as standard.

Contributing to a more focussed dynamic character for the car is a chassis with a 20mm lower ride height, stiffer springs and anti-roll bars, and higher rate fixed-rate dampers. The new dampers also have an additional rebound stop spring to reduce body roll still further.

The Boxster Spyder has wider tracks than standard – 4mm at the front and 8mm out back – and a centre of gravity 25mm lower than that of a Boxster S. Weighing less than 10kg a corner, its alloy wheels are the lightest that Porsche currently offers on any of its road cars, and they come with hi-tech compound tyres that can be run at lower pressures than is normal for the size, to the benefit of rolling refinement.

The new car also comes with a different steering ‘box to a standard Boxster S – it’s slower geared around the straight-ahead and quicker off-centre – as well as 318mm drilled and vented front brakes and a limited-slip differential as standard.

And the bad news? You can’t drive it at more than 124mph with that canopy-like roof attached, and roof on or off, Porsche doesn’t recommend that you take it to an automated drive-through car wash.

Come back to autocar.co.uk on Friday to read our exclusive first drive verdict on Porsche's new lightweight Spyder
Matt Saunders

·
yut ugghhhh!
446 Posts
I was at Laguna Seca on fri, and there was 2 of these new boxsters. honestly I didnt see anything special; the caymans were still owning them hands down.

·
Beware the Eggplant
16,632 Posts
gay.

but homos need a porsche to love too.

·
Banned
8,155 Posts
I'd take one, just cause of the "kerb weight"

·
Slow and FWD
1,755 Posts
Looks sharp but for 61k I'll take a 370z and keep my RSX-S as a winter beater haha.

Random question, but what are those red loop straps coming out of the door. Is that for safety or something?

·
"Por-Sha"
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was at Laguna Seca on fri, and there was 2 of these new boxsters. honestly I didnt see anything special; the caymans were still owning them hands down.
Colors? More details on this?

·
9k FTW
3,196 Posts
still weighs more than a 1st gen boxster s.

FAIL

·
i aint even mad!
3,391 Posts
is that a tent from walmart on top of that car?

·
"Por-Sha"
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It seems like a couple of people are missing the point of this Spyder. It's for the purists/Porsche enthusiasts/track whores.
It's like the scuderia, gt3 rs, lotus etc.

The reason why this is stirring lots of interest with Porsche enthusiasts is because this should have amazing performance. The current Cayman S PDK was named the driver s car of the year over the r8, m3, etc. It's midengine design is a superior platform. A TPC turbod Cayman S would keep up and possibly even beat the gt3.
The Boxster Spyder is jut as powerful, lighter, and stiffer.
What surprises me is the price. The standard Boxster S is $55k. This comes with a lot of extras like the CF bucket seats ($3000 or so) LSD ($950 or so) Alcantara interior pieces, gt3 RS door panels, light-weight wheels, limited production, and much more for the same price as the Cayman S. I wouldve assumed the spyder was going to be about $70k.
If Porsche used the same price standards as the Spec-V, the Spyder would be about $100,000. :rotfl:

Everyone knows why this means. Porsche fans/owners will finally get what they've been begging for. By following the patterns, we can strongly assume that we are finally getting a Cayman RS! A lightweight RS version of the Cayman, possibly under the name Cayman Club Sport.

Looks sharp but for 61k I'll take a 370z and keep my RSX-S as a winter beater haha.

Random question, but what are those red loop straps coming out of the door. Is that for safety or something?
they are the door "handles".
I believe they show it in use in the third video I posted.

still weighs more than a 1st gen boxster s.

FAIL
lol weak. Heavier than the 986 by 10lbs. Oh no! You can reduce 45lbs+ of unsprung weight by getting the option of PCCBs (ceramic brakes).
It demolishes the older boxster in every aspect. It has a better power:weight than the 996 Turbo. It'll outperform the Cayman S.

Porsche said it would be atleast 10s faster than the current Boxster S around the ring.

Here's what Porsche did to lose that weight, details courtesy of Automobile :
46.3 Lbs: Manual soft top and one-piece aluminum hatch
The Spyder ditches the girlie man power soft top for a lighter manual item and also replaces both the rear trunk lid and roof cover with one piece of swoopy aluminum.

33.1 Lbs: Aluminum door skins
Steel is out, aluminum is in.

2.2 Lbs: No map pockets, nylon loops in place of door handles.

26.5 Lbs: Carbon framed seats.

15.4 Lbs: The fuel tank shrinks from 16.9 gallons to 14.3.

28.7 Lbs: No A/C.

13.2 Lbs: No radio, lighter battery.

11.0 Lbs: Lighter wheels.
At 19 inches, these are larger, yet lighter, meaning they're more expensive.

0 Lbs: No cupholders, no clear plastic cover over the instruments.
Meaningless subtractions help present the illusion of weight loss.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts