Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ‘06 RSX Type S. Bought new. Now has 115K miles. Maybe my favorite car of all time. Still runs like the day I got it. Have put no money into it other than brakes and tires. Interior near perfect but I was thinking about having the few dings and scratches in the body fixed, and then just painting the whole car, but was getting estimates for upwards of $10K. But for a car with that many miles it just didn’t seem worth it. Though I know of no imminent problems sooner or later it’s going to start to need things, i.e., exhaust, clutch, A/C.

Been thinking of a replacement for a reasonable cost. I am really liking what I am hearing about the new Toyota/Subaru
GR86/BRZ. More HP plus substantially more torque at low RPMs, but same handling, Was just wondering what others thought about this?

Also, I figure the dealer isn’t going to give me much for the RSX Type S on a trade. After checking ads for RSX’s I was genuinely surprised what people are asking for them. A year ago I would have been happy to get $4,000 to 5,000 for the car. But after checking the ads I am thinking closer to $8 or 9k.

At any rate, though the GR 86 is supposed to available in December it sounds like it will be months after that when one will become available.

Just wondering what others think.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Are you in a financial situation to keep the RSX and get the toyota as well? If theres no payments on the RSX and you have a garage i might suggest just keeping it as a weekend toy and getting the Toyota as a fun daily. The Honda game has changed significantly since these Bring A Trailer cars have been fetching a small fortune. And everyone is finally starting to realize what all of us have known forever... That Hondas are incredibly reliable and fun cars with unlimited potential. So they are truly fetching a premium and i don't see the value of old JDM cars going down anytime soon. If possible, keep the RSX as "investment potential" and just enjoy it on the weekends and then get the toyota to enjoy on the regular. just my .02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I don’t have room in the garage. Really can’t seeing two cars for myself anyways. Plus I’d like to use whatever I can get for the RSX to put toward downstroke on nee

But funny you should mention this. Was talking to Toyota dealer salesman about when I could get a GR86, and mentioned I had the RSX Type S. He just said it would be great if I could keep it another 10 years. He was a young guy and he had just got a Supra so I am guessing he keeps up on this stuff. I took that to mean he thought snyone with an RSX can just expect the value to keep going up.

I really love the RSX, and seriously looked into giving it to a body shop to clean up all the minor cosmetic things and then just re-paint it. But when I read about the upgrades on the GR86 it started sounding real good. Maybe better than the Acura. Plus things like rear wheel drive. It looks more like an RSX than a ytbing I can think of. It even seems like it may have better performance being around same curb Wright, with 228hp and a bunch more torque now kicking in at 3,500 rpm. I Sm guessing handlin is even better. Plus I think I can out the door for under $34000 for the premium version with leather seats and 18 in.wheels.

I got some people who in the past have told me they’re interested in the car but you know how that goes. But I really can’t do anything until I can get the GR86, which according to Toyota may be awhile. I have no problem driving the RSX in meantime. Still runs like a Champ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can stomach the cost of 34k for slightly better performance in the GR86 vs RSX, I'd say go for it. The RWD is a huge plus though, and the flat 4 engine sitting lower will further improve the handling. It's been years since I was in a BRZ but I was really impressed with how it handled.

Personally I would just hang on to the RSX unless upgrading to something way above the RSX's performance, if performance is a big deciding factor for you. For a bit more money you can hop in a slightly used Civic Type-R, Focus RS, STI and the like.

I too was looking at a replacement for my RSX Type-S not too long ago. However I ended up picking up a Subaru Outback XT and keeping the Type-S. I just had my RSX Type-S transmission overhauled and also had some upgrades done (new exedy clutch & flywheel, mfactory LSD, 5.3 FD) and it feels like a new car, to me lol. So much so that I'm pretty happy with it now. Hell even my wife likes it now hahaha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really appreciate your thoughts. Hearing you talk about the BRZ makes me think I am doing the right thing going with the new GR-86 or a BRZ as a daily driver. Have you checked the reviews on the 2022 GR-86? Sounding like there are alot of upgrades beyond hp and torque. There’s a ton of videos now available on YT. I haven’t seen one yet where they didn’t say it was a major improvement over 2020 version. The best reviews are when they. Impart it to Miata

My Type S runs great and I am sure it won’t be a problem waiting for however it long it will be before I can get the Toyota. And it’s starting to sound like that could be awhile. I may be able to do a little better than $34K, btw. Now that I see the premium model really doesn’t have full leather seats I may just go for the base model. The only sacrifice I am making is 17-in.wheels instead of 18 in.

I have have had a ton of sports cars. Three Vetted, an MGB, AH Sprite and a Triumph TR-3. Even a Toyota MR-2. I rank the Type S among my all-time favorites. But I am a lot older now snd need something I can depend on every day. Eventually with 15 years and 115 000 miles some things gotta start breaking down. The GR-86 gives me a rear-wheel car that’s in the tradition of the old English two seaters but with way more performance without the headaches.

Believe me, if Acura made anything close to the TSX I’d be giving it consideration.

thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now that I see the premium model really doesn’t have full leather seats I may just go for the base model. The only sacrifice I am making is 17-in.wheels instead of 18 in.
Honestly, if you’re down to that as the last significant trade-off, wheels have gotta be about the easiest things to swap at any point later on down the road, aside from maybe the gear shift knob 🤓

Depending on where you live, a lot of us get a second set anyway for keeping dedicated winter-only tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts