Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just joined a team for the 24hrs of Lemon. No, not the one in France, that's Leman's. This one is for car of dubious mechanical integrity and drivers of dubious moral integrity. The 4-man team are putting together a car for a 12 hour endurance race and a later 24 hr race. Hopefully if all comes together I'll get about 4 hours of wheel to wheel racing (such as it is) which I expect to be more fun than the average track day. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a racing suit?

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I probably shouldn't say too much until we get our car accepted.:shady: Its an older import (not my RX8 :noes:eek:r my RSX which I finally sold by the way) of the $500 variety (excluding safety equipment, tires, and brakes). Lets just say my experience with the RSX will come in handy. I have tentatively been put in charge of brakes and suspension. Since I'm strictly limited by the rules (see Ohsixteq above) my job should be easy. Should be a lot of fun, and if I can survive it:run:, good experience. Anybody can build a race car with gobs of money, but can you do it for $500?:pray:

My biggest problem $$ is I have to acquire SFI approved 3.2/A5 rated suits, gloves, and shoes. I have driving shoes (wrestling shoes) but they're aren't fireproof so I'm looking around.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yay, our team got accepted into the Fall South 24hrs of Lemons at Kershaw South Carolina on Sept 12-13. We've got our 4th and final team member. Now we can focus on getting our 91 Mitsubishi 3000 GT transformed from the current POS into a race ready blistering track demon. I can only hope we can get it in good working order as it initially had some ISSUES. At the very least it should have good brakes. I pulled the dust shields off it front and rear and put some Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads on with some ATE fluid. The brakes seemed to be in good shape, even has ventilated rear discs. I may fabricate some brake ducts, but I'm told this race is not brake intensive. Lots of traffic and no high speed to hairpin turns.

Though I've never driven one, and this car isn't drivable yet, I suspect this car to be an understeering motherf**r. It has a huge front sway bar and a rear sway bar about the diameter of a Bic ballpoint pen. I see an out of spec alignment in this car's future. On the plus side it has electronically adjustable dampeners if we can make them work. Gotta get the roll cage, seat brackets, and fuel cell completed. Geez I found out my helmet and driving shoes won't fly because they aren't fireproof. Gotta get a whole suit, glove, shoes, and helmet ensemble. Shit, even racing on the cheap is expensive.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Well we now have a driveable car and a facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/24-Hours-of-LeMons-Jacky-Ickx-GT30/109724431683
After some minor teething issues I was favorably impressed. The car is similar to my previous RSX. The handling is not as bad as I feared, which is fortunate because we are limited on modifications. We only had a few brief runs around the rural neighborhood but we hope to take the car over to a 1 mile test track in Orlando this weekend for a better shakedown. We've had some drama this week because our roll cage fabricator went belly up the day before we were to bring the car in:dontknow: So we are going to another fabricator but time is getting short. The car is looking pretty rough but we will eventually paint it to match the Gulf GT40. Our seat should come in next week and then the roll cage. Loren needs to clean up the wiring harnesses that are strewn all over the place like an untidy spider web.

Well you may have some competition next year if i can form a team together. I have 3 of the 4 drivers needed, now i need to find a crew.
We'll be prepping a 1976 Firebird LeMans for the event. It has a 250cc straight 6cyl, and 4 sp trans as of now. I'm getting the car for like $50 from a friend and my team and i will be getting to work on it hopefully this winter.
We welcome competition we will eat your firebird for lunch and poop the remains upon the track:lift:, well if ours is still running by then:nervous:.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Its coming up soon, Sept 12-13. Its been a lot of work, but I've learned alot. We got the roll cage in last week and I fabricated a racing seat bracket to get us more headroom. I'm getting better at welding. That bracket was a bitch, trying to get the seat to fit and still use the sliders, necessary because we have 4 drivers ranging from 5'8" to 6'4". Plumbed the fuel cell with a swirl pot. Biggest problem we have now is our illustrious captain cracked the windshield glass and the lexan he got isn't thick/strong enough. I just hope the car holds together because we haven't had much track time. I just hope they don't blow it up before its my turn to drive.:run:

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
^ :rotfl:

that is just awesome :thumbsup:. i wanna do this now, looks like way too much fun
Stay in touch, you're somewhat local and we might need another driver in Ohio in Oct. This is my first one, but if you really wanted to get into it, I'm guessing that if you come to one of the races and meet some people and make some connections you might hook up with a team for the future. I know there are at least 2 teams in the Tampa area, ours and the one that our team owner was part of and there's another in Sarasota and probably others I don't know about.

good luck!! my friend and i bought a car last year and entered lemons south spring this year at cmp in kershaw, it was tons of fun, we came in 6th overall and won "least horrible yank tank" (best finishing american car) if your planning on winning ill tell you this much penalties are everything, to be a front runner at the end you MUST stay out of trouble at all costs. and DO NOT try to cheat, i know your probly thinking you have some sneaky mods done to your car that the judges will totally not notice, trust me those dudes know more about every kind of car ever built that you know about your favorite car in the world, it blew me away how fast they could spot stuff on cars when going through tech. we got accepted to the texas race in Oct. and are currently getting the car into fighting shape again, oh, our team is the "lemons Vuitton" lol here's a couple pics

the car is suppose to look like a luis vuitton purse, complete with handle ;)
Hey you guys did pretty good to finish 6th. Our team owner was part of another team and they came in about 15th I think, largely because they stayed out of trouble. Yeah I've heard about the inspection. We have tried to keep things to the rule but this is my first so I don't know what to expect.

Bring extra tires, that tank is going to eat up front rubber like no tomorrow.

Local group ran an old Volvo 240 wagon and did pretty well a couple months ago, they're going to run it again next year.
Roger that. We do have an extra set of tires. This thing is like the RSXs fat older brother. Everything that is wrong with the RSX is times2 with this thing. More weight up front and 1/4 the anti-roll bar in the rear. No limited slip but more low end power to spin the tires!. I ended up welding 2 OEM antiroll bars together that might on a good day equal the stock bar of the RSX.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
EastcoastRSXs I mentioned your car to our other team members and they remember your car at Kershaw, they said you were fast! I'll be happy if we can just get our beast into the race and it runs long enough for me to drive it a little.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for the info Jim. Ya I'll keep in touch, I'm really interested in giving this a try. No racing experience yet though :eek:
Yeah, well me neither, just about 30 track days. I am acutely aware of the difference between wheel to wheel racing and a track day, even in an advanced group. But the Lemons races are full of people that have never raced or probably even done more than an autocross. Thus the carnage!:noes: My goal, and I got this advice from others who have done them, is to avoid contact and situations likely to generate contact. Beyond the obvious damage to the car and potentially to oneself, there are penalties awarded for contact. If you want to do well not only do you have to keep you and the car in one piece, you have to minimize the penalties. Its a long race, and to finish first you must first finish.

On a lighter note we conducted track testing at our super-secret test track:shady: and the car ran well with only a few minor hiccups to fix. The car handled surprisingly well since we were limited in modifying it. South Carolina here we come.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
The car is ready, I'm ready, the team is ready. I'm off to South Carolina on Thursday.:beerchug:

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Here’s a link to an in car video that show part of one of my early runs, the car wasn’t working right and was cutting out, turns out there was a plastic bag in the gas tank:firemad:. When you see the Mazda RX7 flip I’m the car that was next to him and was run off into the grass which necessitated a change in underwear, but the car was OK. I had seen the Mazda wheel start to wobble and I thought “no good can come of this” when I looked over and saw the top of his car coming my way. http://jalopnik.com/5358041/torqueless-rotards-rx+7-loses-wheel-gets-shiny-side-down . We later fixed the bag in tank problem and the car ran well until Philippe blew it up about 11 hours into a 14 hour race. We were 12th out of 114 starters and moving for the top 10 when the connecting rod bearing went. We ended up 51st out of 114 at the end of the race. We had a blast.

The synchros in the tranny were shot and it was difficult to get into second gear so most of the time I was stuck in 3rd gear. I was able to move from 25th place to 16th during my run by utilizing the brakes. The car was a little sluggish on corner exit in 3rd gear but the Carbotech XP10/XP8s worked very well and we were able to hang on to 3rd gear speed at the end of the straights and dive late into the corners under heavy braking. I would pass 4 cars on corner entry and 2 would pass me back on exit but I would get them again on the next braking zone, kinda of 2 steps forward 1 step back, but it was working. We are now looking for another/better engine transmission combo. If we had a reliable engine and a tranny with a working synchro I think we coulda been a contenda.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
I'm not sure of the exact cost, the accounting got away from us. Our fearless leader originally asked for $500 apiece from the 4 of us plus we had to get our own safety gear and chip in for travel expenses. This number turned out to be woefully insufficient. The cost of the car by rule is supposed to be limited to $500 not including safety equipment (roll bar, seat, harness, fire suppresion, brakes, tires, other). However, getting a $500 car to be race ready even with junk stuff will $10 you to death.
I chipped in my racing seat, but I had to buy and reconfigure the seat bracket to the tune of $150.
2 sets of racing brake pads $640
8 sets of Dunlop Direza Z1 Star specs ~$1300
The roll bar was about $1500.
I spent nearly $200 dollars on plumbing for the completely unnecessary fuel cell they had acquired which ultimately caused us to drop out of the 24hr race in Ohio because it leaked.
Hundreds of dollars of miscellaneous parts, nuts, bolts, clamps, and fluids, and tools.

We had some personnel drama with the team related to too much testosterone and we are currently looking for a couple of less temperatmental if less quick driver/mechanics in the Tampa area for the May Chumps Car race in Homestead. The car only needs some muffler work and the leaking fuel system repaired and we have a car that ran in the top five of 2 endurance races while it was running. Aspiring speed racers may PM me, as per above the final cost for new drivers buy in may increase.

All said it was a hoot, a tiring expensive hoot, but fun even with the drama. Where else do you get to do wheel to wheel endurance racing at night even.:laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.