Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been recently having really bad 2nd and 3rd gear issues in my '03 RSX Type S. Shifting from 1st to 2nd over 4000 rpm will half the time crunch into gear and the other half the time will make it feel like I let go of the clutch before I shift into 2nd. It completely blocks me out of the gear and grinds like hell with my foot is completely pushed in the clutch. I'm not banging gears I'm just casually shifting and definitely making sure that my clutch is planted to the floor before I try to shift. Any suggestions? Downshifting and rev matching from 4th to 3rd will sometimes cause my 3rd gear to pop out and I can hear the teeth grinding loosely on each other because it didn't fully pop out. Some people have said to just change the tranny fluid but I was also thinking it might be an issue with my clutch because it feels like it isn't going in all the way even though my left foot is to the floor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Could be the clutch, could be something going on inside the transmission. I'd double check the clutch master/slave cylinder system first. If that's looking ok, then move onto the clutch. Even if you find an issue with the clutch, it may be wise to pop open the transmission and make sure there hasn't been any damage or excessive where as a result of all the crunching & grinding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the clutch, could be something going on inside the transmission. I'd double check the clutch master/slave cylinder system first. If that's looking ok, then move onto the clutch. Even if you find an issue with the clutch, it may be wise to pop open the transmission and make sure there hasn't been any damage or excessive where as a result of all the crunching & grinding.
Thanks. I don't have the time to open any of that up right now but today I actually was ok driving to school. Once I passed 2nd gear I was good. Also I noticed that if I push 3rd in hard when downshifting it didn't seem to pop out of gear. Maybe it's something to do with the shifter or shifter cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts