Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cone Killer
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I decided to post this here since it's something I only see while AutoX'ing. I've had 2nd gear pop out under hard braking while autocrosssing a couple of times now and it's starting to get annoying. Other than that, the tranny shifts like butter, no pop-outs or grinds. Has anyone experienced this?

Background:
212k miles on tranny
Amsoil synchromesh
Competition Clutch Stg 1

I do have the MTech race spring & pillow ball upgrade sitting on the shelf ready to go in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to have this issue. Replace your shift knob with something lighter and change all your engine mounts to solid urethane. Changing from a metal to plastic shift knob helped me big time with the braking pop out.

·
Cone Killer
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to have this issue. Replace your shift knob with something lighter and change all your engine mounts to solid urethane. Changing from a metal to plastic shift knob helped me big time with the braking pop out.
This makes sense! I'm running a heavy-a$$ Karcepts SS shift knob. I'll try that next event. I already have Innovative engine mounts. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
All that is doing is masking an issue with your trans. I too am running the Karcepts 600g shift knob and have never had an issue with it popping out of gear.

212k miles on the transmission? That sounds like your issue. It's time to rebuild that bitch.

·
Cone Killer
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that is doing is masking an issue with your trans. I too am running the Karcepts 600g shift knob and have never had an issue with it popping out of gear.

212k miles on the transmission? That sounds like your issue. It's time to rebuild that bitch.
I completely agree, but I do drive the car everyday. If I have to drop it down for some reason it's gonna go up again with carbon synchros, fresh bearings and an LSD:hb:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
How are your shifter cables? I was thinking that if the shifter cables, shifter box bushings, or the shift springs are hella worn out, the weight of the shift knob could cause it to pop out of a gear on the bottom row from hard braking. I've got Hybrid cables and a K Tuned shifter box which could be why I haven't experienced said issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, 2nd pops out under hard braking.
my original tranny did that at around 250 000 km so I replaced it with a Civic Si transmission with LSD. The shop told me it had 50 000mi. After 2 time attack and autoX seasons, the pop out came back last fall. I'm trying to get my hands on a ktuned shifter box with a delrin knob and change the transmission fluid with the best one available because i'm not ready to change the transmission yet. hope it lasts this season.
I have the Mtech springs and shifter ball installed already

1 - 7 of 7 Posts