Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About last July I did the good-ol 3-2 upshift when I was gunning it on the entrance ramp. I figure that it banked at least 10'000 cause I was at the top end of third. There was no noticable damage except a light ticking.

I ran a 50-shot for about three months after that and no problems, except it wasnt fast enough. So..........

I got the CN 1-1/2 kit so I decided to get some head work done too. Turns out that I cracked one valve guide, smashed another, bent three intake valves, and one exhaust.After an extra $80 later Im really glad that my mechanic talked me into having head work done. Four bent valves wouldnt have been too pretty with 15 lbs.

Just thought that I would share that with you guys to let you know how stupid I really am.

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
you lucked out most people don't get that fortunate.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I missshifted once as well but i only hit about 8 or 9k. It was the same situation but i was in the middle of thrid. I also get a light ticking, I `m not sure if there was there stock or if i am just noticing it. Can anybody else tell me if they here something similar? Mine doesnt sound like its coming from the head though, more like over by the timing chain, or the accesories.

EDIT: I just listened again and the ticking sounds like it is coming from the head. Its mild but its got me worried. Does anyone else hear it on there stock car?

·
Registered
419 Posts
thatguywiththersx said:
I missshifted once as well but i only hit about 8 or 9k. It was the same situation but i was in the middle of thrid. I also get a light ticking, I `m not sure if there was there stock or if i am just noticing it. Can anybody else tell me if they here something similar? Mine doesnt sound like its coming from the head though, more like over by the timing chain, or the accesories.

EDIT: I just listened again and the ticking sounds like it is coming from the head. Its mild but its got me worried. Does anyone else hear it on there stock car?
r u knocking? or is it just random ticking

·
Registered
340 Posts
thatguywiththersx said:

The most common machining fixes I do from Type S overrevs are from the valve tips snapping and bent valves. I have also seen a couple 2-1 shifts that ended up with rods through the side of the block, usually the owners are near tears at that point.

Mistakes happen, but be careful guys!! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
bluesiTYPER said:
The most common machining fixes I do from Type S overrevs are from the valve tips snapping and bent valves. I have also seen a couple 2-1 shifts that ended up with rods through the side of the block, usually the owners are near tears at that point.

Mistakes happen, but be careful guys!! :)
when a piston or rod goes thru the side of the block doesnt it leave small pieces of shrapnel?

·
Registered
811 Posts
well , i definitely dont think there is any piston or rod damage. I was worried about the valves maybe being bent but i didnt rev that high so i dont think they did. I listen more closely and I think the sound is just the fuel injectors cause its loudest at the gap in between the valve cover and the engine cover(fuel rail cover). I havent noticed any power loss, but i still might have it compression tested to be on the safe side.

I definitely dont think its knocking though. There really isnt a metalic sound to it and when you knock it sounds like someone is banging on the block with a screw driver. It definitely isnt that loud or that metallic. So i think its just the injectors. Thoughts from anyone else?

·
Master Member Modulator
5,227 Posts
rsxman4ever said:
i dont understand why would the valves bend like that. Is it because they cant handle all that RPM. Please explain.

When an engine is revved to high the springs which control the valve travel cannot "keep up" with the added motion. What results is reffered to as "valve float"...which basically means that the timing of the valves opening and closing does not match up with the motion of the pistons. When a piston is at TDC(top dead center) ALL valves are supposed to be closed. When you have valve float, the valves may be open and the piston hits them on its compression/exhaust stroke and WAMMO!...bent or broken valves.

Other damage (bent/broken rods, holes in the block, etc) occurs from too much inertia from the excess motion. They refer to it as a "blown engine" for a reason! :) Imagine what would happen to your legs of they were strapped to your bicycle pedals and your bike was towed behind a car going about 80mph!

Craig:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Would getting upgraded valve springs help or is it the valves themselves that need to be upgraded?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
FLASH ME said:
About last July I did the good-ol 3-2 upshift when I was gunning it on the entrance ramp. I figure that it banked at least 10'000 cause I was at the top end of third. There was no noticable damage except a light ticking.

I ran a 50-shot for about three months after that and no problems, except it wasnt fast enough. So..........

I got the CN 1-1/2 kit so I decided to get some head work done too. Turns out that I cracked one valve guide, smashed another, bent three intake valves, and one exhaust.After an extra $80 later Im really glad that my mechanic talked me into having head work done. Four bent valves wouldnt have been too pretty with 15 lbs.

Just thought that I would share that with you guys to let you know how stupid I really am.
Thats a good idea, I misshifted once while naturally aspirated and I don't think anything happened, but it doesn't hurt to check. I have been boosting pretty high lately. :nervous:

·
Master Member Modulator
5,227 Posts
SoLoSpEeD101 said:
you dont pedal and let the chain and pedals just run...

Ahhh...we have a smart one here...

So then, imagine what would happen to your legs if your feet were strapped to your bicycle pedals, the bicycle had a direct drive system with NO freewheeling (ie.the pedals will rotate with the tires no matter what), and you were towed behind a car going 80mph.

Craig

·
1,200hp stable... Bitches
7,473 Posts
I've done the dreaded 5th-4th and caught 2nd, I caught my self at ~9k. I think I've always heard that ticking before I misshifted, but now I'm not to sure. I think it is the fuel injectors, does anyone who hasn't misshifted at all have this ticking going on...

·
Registered
340 Posts
RoadRunner Type S said:
I've done the dreaded 5th-4th and caught 2nd, I caught my self at ~9k. I think I've always heard that ticking before I misshifted, but now I'm not to sure. I think it is the fuel injectors, does anyone who hasn't misshifted at all have this ticking going on...

VTEC vehicles have noticable valvetrain noise; this sounds different; it may be what you are hearing..people get paranoid after things like this happens; then you notice every little noise..

But, if you have doubts, a compression and leak down test are your first checkpoints if you aren't planning on removing the head any time soon..

·
Registered
340 Posts
ryan34o said:
when a piston or rod goes thru the side of the block doesnt it leave small pieces of shrapnel?
All kinds of chewed up metal :)..

I have quite a few souveniers from people getting boost/nitrous happy not heeding warnings..some people push the limits a little too far; then I get all kinds of scrap aluminum when we rebuild it for them ..they make great conversation pieces tho..

·
got TEIN?
248 Posts
yeah...so how much and where can you get a compression and leak down test...and can you describe the how they test it? like what do they do to test it?

·
got TEIN?
248 Posts
notice a ratteling noise one time...and found out it was the valve cover hitting against the manifold....

but can hear a slight ticking noise... but then again... it sounds like its been there before and doesnt sound like something serious!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't understand why people mis-shift.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts