Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a free 3 inch exhaust with my kit and what i was thinking was to weld my stock muffler on with my 3 inch exhaust because the exhaust doesnt have a muffler its just str8 pipe and im looking for the stealthy look what do guys think ?? so it looks stock will it be worth it do it??? u think ill get some gains instead of just leaving the stock exhaust ??

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
vic8709 said:
I got a free 3 inch exhaust with my kit and what i was thinking was to weld my stock muffler on with my 3 inch exhaust because the exhaust doesnt have a muffler its just str8 pipe and im looking for the stealthy look what do guys think ?? so it looks stock will it be worth it do it??? u think ill get some gains instead of just leaving the stock exhaust ??
You will definately get gains. If you do not want your 3 inch piping, give me a PM as ive been looking for good 3 inch piping for a while.

If you dont have a midpipe already, it will definately add power. It will definatley be noticably louder though.

·
Yadadaa! What it Dookiee?
2,026 Posts
i wouldnt do that if i were you... i know your are looking for a stealthy look, just tryo to get a non-flashy tip on ur muffler... get a straight though muffler, you will be happy w/ it at the end of the day imo

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
umm....why?

what's better: a 2 lane freeway. or a 5 lane freeway that a mile down the road, 3 lanes are blocked.

it's called bottlenecking.

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
That's counterproductive. Just find a muffler out there that's to your liking. If you don't want noise, get a chambered muffler instead of one that's straight through. You can even look into truck/SUV mufflers as those will have larger IDs than those made for car applications. Magnaflow is stock-looking but it's pretty loud. Sounds amazing but loud (listen to my car):

3" piping w/ 3" straight-through resonator w/ 3" straight-through magnaflow muffler

·
Yadadaa! What it Dookiee?
2,026 Posts
Keith DC5 said:
That's counterproductive. Just find a muffler out there that's to your liking. If you don't want noise, get a chambered muffler instead of one that's straight through. You can even look into truck/SUV mufflers as those will have larger IDs than those made for car applications. Magnaflow is stock-looking but it's pretty loud. Sounds amazing but loud (listen to my car):

3" piping w/ 3" straight-through resonator w/ 3" straight-through magnaflow muffler
i got a 2.5" magna no res, sounds great, gonna up to 3" nex week i think tho, you can buy my 2.5" custom if u want :thumbsup:

keith, on a scale of 1-10 from 1-4k rpms how loud would u say ur 3" w/ res is? cause thats what im thinking of switching to something similar

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
Boosted White Guy said:
i got a 2.5" magna no res, sounds great, gonna up to 3" nex week i think tho, you can buy my 2.5" custom if u want :thumbsup:

keith, on a scale of 1-10 from 1-4k rpms how loud would u say ur 3" w/ res is? cause thats what im thinking of switching to something similar
I would rate it an 8 or a 9. Just imagine an open downpipe, but a little bit quieter a lot deeper, and a little smoother. It's not as bad as some of the cars you'll hear at the malls, but it'll definately wake up your neighborhood.

·
I have no strong feelings
729 Posts
krystar said:
umm....why?

what's better: a 2 lane freeway. or a 5 lane freeway that a mile down the road, 3 lanes are blocked.

it's called bottlenecking.
Exactly! Its the same premise as water through a funnel (except that water and exhaust gas act a little different due to expansion)

If there is a restriction down the line the entire pipe may as well be 2 inch diamter. Take a two liter full of water with a hole drilled on the bottom for air to escape. Turn that 2 liter bottle upside down and watch, it just doesn't poor out quickly. Cut the top off 1 inch down and open that diamter and it flows faster. Its the EXACT same premise. Hence "bottle necking"

With that in mind, if you go smaller to bigger (stock greddy downpipe to 3 inch back) you will see big gains due to exhaust gas expansion and freer flowing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
vic8709 said:
I'll tell you, people from Miami (have no judgment at all.)Especially this guy name "Victor." Hope you don't become a firefighter cause one of your questions will be on flow and restriction basis.:thumbsup: . Hope you don't get a call with people really in need of "Help." Stop being a nOOb dude!:deadhorse

·
EOS
1,749 Posts
I'm running 2.5'' comptech midpipe and can change to either a magnaflow axleback or a stock axleback depending on what I feel like. Takes all of maybe 10 minutes to do, and it's really, really, nice to have a quiet ride for when I go between houston, austin, waco, and san antonio.

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
Keith DC5 said:
I would rate it an 8 or a 9. Just imagine an open downpipe, but a little bit quieter a lot deeper, and a little smoother. It's not as bad as some of the cars you'll hear at the malls, but it'll definately wake up your neighborhood.
that sounds rather quiet to me. i have a 3" unresonated magnaflow thats not loud, but i'm getting a resonator in it to change the tone a bit

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crx20si said:
I'll tell you, people from Miami (have no judgment at all.)Especially this guy name "Victor." Hope you don't become a firefighter cause one of your questions will be on flow and restriction basis.:thumbsup: . Hope you don't get a call with people really in need of "Help." Stop being a nOOb dude!:deadhorse
LMAo.... fuck you bitch who ever you are i have my mid term on monday BABY one step closer :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeahi said:
....victor........should of just ran the thermal...its the closest thing to stock as far as loudness. Your above idea is not good at all.
gracias devon :) but i mean i got the4 exhaust for free so why not take advantage of it.. i might just sell it.

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
Silver RSX-S said:
that sounds rather quiet to me. i have a 3" unresonated magnaflow thats not loud, but i'm getting a resonator in it to change the tone a bit
Yeah the video doesn't show how truley loud it is in person. Then again, loud to some is quiet to others.

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
Actually

If you want to be stealthy, you may want to consider getting a EP3 axleback. The ep3 axleback is one of the freest flowing stock mufflers Honda has ever made. Probably the only part of the Ep3 that didnt suck ass from the factory lol. A k24a2 S/C ep3 made 321 whp and gained only 2 whp up top when the muffler came off. Just a suggestion. If you want max power though, you may want to consider something else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I’m asking for more information!

Stock muffler is too small diameter to use for my vehicle. I am boosted running about 10psi with built motor and have electric exhaust cutout connected to a 3” thermal cat back. It’s too loud and drones on the highway for me!!

Trying to get the exhaust QUIETER!!

I see this previous link too, I do realize this says for supercharging, can it work for turbos??
https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=859981#/topics/859981?page=1

The above link is where I got this idea!
The concern I have is my 03 turbo rsxs is too loud even with the quietest cat back system thermal. .

I was curious, what happens if I install another muffler to help calm the noises of the exhaust as much as possible without affecting the “flow” as much as possible??

I’m not concerned about getting every horsepower due to the car being street/hwy driven 99% of the time.

My ear comfort is more important. I’m getting too old. Lol

I found this muffler being a round shape similar to a resonator:
Dynomax 17223 Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029J38O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6d5sDbQM0JCJK

Resonators only quell resonances. They only quiet a little of the sound. Mufflers will muffle.

If anyone has any other links or recommendations, please let me know if this muffler will work.

The object of the game is to quiet the sound as much as possible. 😎

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not sure of the model, but I have a 3in flatter magnaflow that does a good job. I think the round ones are more prone to the drone. For a k24 and not being much bigger it sound good a hwy speed. I think they just sell these with a bunch of different dimensions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts