Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the basic story. I got a new rear bumper w/ a-spec lip along with 05-06 sides and had them painted by the paint code and the digit in 10th place of the VIN.

They came out more white than pearl, and don't match the rest of the car. See pics. The guy that painted it is a friend of mine who owns a body shop. He said that everything was painted 3 coats of white then 3 coats of pearl (does that sound right)? We took the car down to the paint shop to see if maybe the paint was mixed wrong/off but they told us it was just the way the paint is and its basically the painters fault. The work was done partly as repaying a favor, and i only covered the paint (1 pint white, 1 pint pearl, clearcoat) and 100$ for the job. BUDGET PAINT JOB FTL

So the whole thing sucks....and now I need advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation or anyone who can help. I've thought about several options:

1. Call acura/honda and see if they sell OEM paint, maybe it would be easier to match up with the rest of the car rather than buying from a local auto paint store. (not sure if honda even makes its own paint)

2. Look for used ORIGINAL painted PWP parts from members on here and buy them....trash/sell the parts i have now. Expensive option.....especially since the color i have matches no one else's paint and no one will want it.... its too white to be white pearl.

3. Go to another paint shop and get them to guarentee the work they do will match the rest of the car. Expensive as shit.....anytime I've ever gone to get anything painted locally around here they quote me ridiculous prices. The last time I asked some place quoted me 400 or 500 for painting a front bumper...come on. If anyone knows a shop with decent prices in the NJ area, and knows they stand behind their work please let me know

Advice....any....is appreciated. Of course the obvious thought would have been to get it done right the first time, but I don't know any place around me that charges reasonably for painting...I just had to try. And also, its not like the guy i went to is an idiot and can't paint...I've seen tons of cars he painted and they look awesome, but I just don't think he has much experience working with 3 stage/pearl paints. HELP

·
Lick it or Flick it
5,263 Posts
i myself had an 05 white pearl rsx a while ago and i went to the dealership to get some touch up paint and it was the exact same color as ur rear, sides, and front now are. im not saying that you cant match it but even the factory touch up paint doesnt even match the car but i suggest u first call honda/acura and see if they do sell the paint and if that doesnt work go to another painter. but dont throw away the new parts....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You'll never get the exact paint color with small amounts. Think about it, say the "recipe" call for 2 drops of yellow (Making this up) for 1 pint, but a huge container of it calls for 1 gallon, now the percent deviation from 2 drops is probably a lot higher than a huge batch of it calling for 1 gallon... And did they even blend it? I'm no expert but my car got paint traded in a parking lot on the back bumper only. The guy painted my bumper and then blended my door, my trunk, spoiler and I think part of my fender.

·
Registered
269 Posts
there are "accepted colors" when dealing with paint. I work in a body shop and we use a booklet of these said colors. Even the factory uses different variants. Actually chevy and ford have like 8 or 9 acceptable variants of white and silver. Granted that the shop should have matched up the appropriate tint to what yours actually is but obviously they didnt. Best thing to do is have them re-do it. Because chances are that if you order paint from an acura dealership (if thats even possible) it wont be the exact matching color and you'll end up in the same position

·
Slayer
914 Posts
man that is ugly....

·
#1 DEP TRAI
27,382 Posts
typically painting bumpers will be needed to be blended into the surrounding body parts. also looks like a bit more pearl would've helped, pearly will make it more yellow..but that just really off. good luck man. get him to redo it :thumbsup:

·
Lick it or Flick it
5,263 Posts
typically painting bumpers will be needed to be blended into the surrounding body parts. also looks like a bit more pearl would've helped, pearly will make it more yellow..but that just really off. good luck man. get him to redo it :thumbsup:
yeah re-doit man and bakasam is right it is missing alot of pearl but its up to you i personaly think if u let ur friend do it again its more than likely going to end up similar if not the same color so i recomend going somewhere else or just getting your friend to paint your whole car the color he painted your bumper.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i know this thread is old lol, but i think i've seen your car in linden, theres always one parked on this sloped driveway, with a 05-06 front conversion, i see it there like everytime i walk or drive by lol nice car.

edit yea that is your car, saw it coming back from the dunkin donuts a couple blocks down.

·
Kevin★05 DC5-S
6,108 Posts
i honestly have no idea. i have a friend that got a whole body kit painted for around $800 though, but that was a few years ago.

nonetheless, they do a really good job
they look decent but $1500 for me. :(
just go and check them out. if u dont like their price u can walk away like i did.

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
pwp is hard to match, but honestly that looks pretty off

they usually need to blend it in order to make it look even. dont know if they told you that, but that's usually the first thing they say when you need something painted

·
Absolute Pro-Formance
15,515 Posts
Just get the whole shit repainted!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.